Machria

Chains or Agro tires? Which do I want?

Machria

My GT14 has regular garden tires on it, with chains installed.  Works fine in woods (hauling firewood out), and works fine in the snow snowblowing.  BUT, it's bunpy and lumpy and makes noise when I'm on the street with the chains.  I often have to go a 100 yards or so down the payvment to get to the woods....   and I'm sure that doesn't do the chains any good.

So, would I be better off with an Agro type tire?    Do agro's work ok in the snow, as good as chains?   OR?

post-9546-0-64655900-1386692769_thumb.jp

Edited by Machria
  • Like 2

Brrly1

With the GT14, I use the inside wheel weights with chains but I have different setups. On the xi I have wheel weights with the Firestone ags, tri-ribs on the front with no problems. Quick question, are you running 12" rims on your tractor? Should be 15". Good luck Let us know how you do

Machria

Got me, where would I measure?  Are you referring to the width of the tire, or the diameter of the rim?

Does this pic help?

post-9546-0-64140200-1386693986_thumb.jp

• Like 2

dewdew

I

dbartlett1958

If you think your ride is bumpy now, Try some AG's on there, and then you'll know what bumpy is! Your set-up with chains should give you all the traction you need, and give you the best ride. You should get some wheel weights though. More weight will help a lot with traction.

.5racer

slap some bungy straps on the outside them chains in a V fashion and that will take up some slack . As far as wear, I wouldn't worry too much unless you spin on concrete a lot.

rmaynard

If you think your ride is bumpy now, Try some AG's on there...

And if you really want a bumpy ride, put some chains on the AG's.

• Like 1

Ken B

The Ags won't give near as good traction on snow and ice as chains will....

• Like 1

Coadster32

Chains are superior, but Ag's hold their own pretty well. Deflating your tires, then tightening up the chains really good, helps with the slack as well. (don't forget to re-inflate) :hide:  

• Like 2

Brrly1

Looks like 15" rims. The GT14 are like the same lug pattern as the 953,1054 the four bolt lug. They came out with wheel weights (two piece) that bolt on to the inside of the wheel but mount to the axle. You then put lug nuts on the outside of the tire, of course to hold in place. Find some of the weights for the rear and away you go. You might even go as far as front weights. Good Luck

leeave96

IMHO - chains rule,  but I've had GREAT luck with ag tires and typically run them year round.

• Like 1

i967mustang

I had a charger 12 awhile ago that had Ags on it, I had them filled with anti freeze and water mix. The Charger 12 I have now has chains, I much preferred the ride of the Ags to chains. Haven't plowed with the chains on this Charger but did a lot with the old one, it Plowed great. Nothing would stop that little tractor.

pfrederi

If you have frozen ground/ice under your snow AGs will be a huge disappointment ...Chains rule on ice/frozen ground.  (Also if you ever have to back up hill with AGs you are lost)  I have a Farmall M with Ags, 750 lbs of beet juice on each side and 150 lbs weight on each side she won't backup hill if it is icy..

AMC RULES

I'm really digging that winch mount Machria.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Brrly1

The 15" ags for GT14 are hard to find unless you want to run skid steer tires(NOT)because they no longer make them. Wait I stand corrected they do make a 7.60 thats made by American Farmer carried by Miller Tire in Ohio. Thats about an 1" or so differance. Nobody makes the 8.50 anymore

Machria

I'm really digging that winch mount Machria.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Scot on this site built that for me. I just had him customize the "custom 2" hitch" he makes. Here was the tread, check out post #78:

Here is the latest build, you can order one....

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Nice...did your roller fairlead come from Northern tool as well? 

Machria

Yes, comes as part of the winch. Think I bought it on sale on Amazon for $75

oaktown1987

i got ag tires on my 875 and its pretty bumpy but never used chains

Brrly1

Quick remedy, keep your chains and add some of the 953/1054/GT14 rear weights. One other thing tighten up you chains. Let some of the air out tighten or snug them up and reinflate. Sure it will be bumpy it's basically part of life in the snow. Don't think I have ever had a smooth ride whether I am using ags or chains

KC9KAS

I have been using turf tire with fluid and 4 link chains for several winters and have been very happy with the results. I keep them as tight as I can so then don't sling into a fender.

This year, I installed a pair of 2 link chains and was amazed at how smooth the ride is.

You have the right size tires on your GT-14 and the 2 link chains, so as others have stated add some weight, tighten the chains and you will have the best all around traction set-up (my opinion).

You can't see the inside weights, but they are there.

2013-12-07093854_zps5dbdb145.jpg

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 1

Machria

Ok, thanks guys. Seems like the consensus is tighten up the chains (which I had never thought of) and leave the turf tires and chains on, and add weight if possible.

I've been trying to get some wheel weights for this thing, but have not been able to find them. The only pair I saw available last year were priced higher than what I paid for the whole tractor. I need to find something more reasonable.

So off to figure out how you tighten up chains....

Kelly

to tighten the chains, jack up one side of the tractor with tire off the ground, let the air mostly out of the tire (you do have a way to blow them back up right??) this works best if the tire is warm, but works cold also, release the latch but don't unhook the chain, square the chains up on the tire and hook the side with out the latch as tight as you can, then rehook the latch side as tight as you can and relatch, blow the tire back up to proper PSI, if the chains are still loose you may try again, key is to aline the chains all the way around the tire as you are trying to get them tight, but if all else fails hook a bungee cord from one part of the chain across the face of the rim to the other part of the chain wrap the bungee around the chain and back to the other side of the rim so the bungee looks like a V on the face of the rim, some time you need to use 2 bungees at 90 deg to form a star pattern this will help with the slack in the chains.

On a side note I run my latches on the out board side of the tire, and I use a zip tie to secure the latch and any loose ends on the chains.

1989520HC

If you have frozen ground/ice under your snow AGs will be a huge disappointment ...Chains rule on ice/frozen ground.  (Also if you ever have to back up hill with AGs you are lost)  I have a Farmall M with Ags, 750 lbs of beet juice on each side and 150 lbs weight on each side she won't backup hill if it is icy..

Ok I have to ask....what is beat juice doing in your tires? 

rexman72

chains rock just ask the skidder operators who use them.