mdtoro

520xi side light kit

mdtoro

I was curious  if anyone knows what the side light kit is for a 520xi or similar in the series?

shallowwatersailor

It adds a "running light" in the headlight bezel. On my 518xi, I purchased some sockets and bulbs from an auto parts store to make my own. I can't say that it was worth the effort.

But on the 520xi that is my plow tractor, I am installing some inexpensive LED strobe flashers. I figure it will be handy at the end of the driveway.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

It adds a "running light" in the headlight bezel. On my 518xi, I purchased some sockets and bulbs from an auto parts store to make my own. I can't say that it was worth the effort.

But on the 520xi that is my plow tractor, I am installing some inexpensive LED strobe flashers. I figure it will be handy at the end of the driveway.

:wwp:

shallowwatersailor

For the strobes I used the Alpena Quad Slimstrobe White kit. It only comes with white LEDs so I used some Tamiya Clear Orange paint for the amber color. The light bezel with black accents was done when I was cleaning the tractor after I bought it. I think it refreshes the front end. The second picture is a video. I'll re-shoot the video tonight when its dark. It might need stronger LED lights as these only have two per fixture.

DSCF9359_zps3cf400bb.jpg

th_DSCF9362_zps5a53c20e.jpg Click for video

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Well, here is a video in the dark. I think the four flashing at the same time is the most visible. The SilverStar 1156 bulbs that I put in the headlights wash out the flashing LEDs just as I thought. My goal was to put them inside the headlight bezel for a clean look. I think that I might try the Blazer C535A for the LED instead. They are visible in the daylight at least.

th_DSCF9366_zps1c4950fb.jpg Click for video

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

woodchuckfarmer

That's cool, I like it

AMC RULES

WOW! :scared-eek: Looks like a factory installation John.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

They really put on a show after dark, huh?   :scared-shocked:  :scared-shocked:

mdtoro

No chance to miss you in the dark!

I would guess the kit I saw is just a solid light on the side of the bezel.

Snowmobileaddict

Here is the factory side-light kit.

It goes for about $30

Toro Side Light Kit For 5xi Part #95-7858  

dodge78

Well, here is a video in the dark. I think the four flashing at the same time is the most visible. The SilverStar 1156 bulbs that I put in the headlights wash out the flashing LEDs just as I thought. My goal was to put them inside the headlight bezel for a clean look. I think that I might try the Blazer C535A for the LED instead. They are visible in the daylight at least.

I think that moving the LEDs closer to the lens would show through the white light better.  

shallowwatersailor

I think that moving the LEDs closer to the lens would show through the white light better.  

It doesn't show in the photo but the lens is on an angle so I had to set the front two back a bit. The Blazer C535A has six LEDs but I have had a problem finding a pair. My TSC seems to only stock one at a time when they have them.

squonk

What do you use as a controller /flasher John?

shallowwatersailor

What do you use as a controller /flasher John?

It was a complete kit that i bought at Advance Auto Parts. The manufacturer is Alpena and should be available at other locations. This was the Quad SlimStrobe. I also have the TwinStrobe kit in amber by them to mount on the rear of the tractor.

On the 5xi, there is a firewall that with the hood closed, is enclosed. That is where I mounted the controller/flasher unit. It really is intended for mounting in an interior of a vehicle and out of the weather. If I was mounting it on one of my other tractors (520-H, 312A, or C-105) I would put it inside something like a project box from Radio Shack to protect it.

shallowwatersailor

Here are two photos of the controller/flasher. Notice the nice red cover for the fuse block by Glen Pettit.

DSCF9417_zps3c854965.jpgDSCF9412_zpsa2fb672f.jpg

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

John, really nice. Glad I caught this as I have been thinking of some kind of wig-wag flasher for the lights on my 416-8 while plowing.

Theres nothing wrong with being seen up by the end of the driveway and the St.

Glenn