Wheelhorsestory

The Christmas Tractor (part 7)

Wheelhorsestory

So with winter past and the new birth of Spring, I caught the "Wheel Horse Bug".  I decided to call every Wheel Horse dealer in New England and try to find more of these cool tractors.  I did find many, many tractors and bought them all very cheap. This was before the hobby was popular.  My first purchase was a 1956 RJ-35 with snow plow, spike tooth harrow, rear plow, cutter bar, and reel mower.  It was all in amazing condition and was still being used to plow a garden every year.  You won't believe this, but I bought the entire package for $125.00!  Soon there after I bought what turned out to be an RJ-58. This tractor came out of Blackstone, Mass. and had a very interesting story with it.  They were building the town's Main Street when they found that the bank's foundation was poured, but not the concrete floor and now there was not a piece of equipment that could fit in there to do the grading.  It was this Ride-Away Jr., mounted with a snow plow that saved the day! It's small, compact design saved the day. I still own both of these tractors.

In the next several parts of this story, I will conclude with how the WHCC began, how I met Cecil Pond and how the hobby became what it is today.

Merry Christmas,

Michael Martino

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Neat...just like the "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" story...

come to life.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Edited by AMC RULES

nylyon

Michael, hope you don't mind but the Christmas Story seemed to need a Christmas theme to go with it!

• Like 2

bitten

As a person that enjoyed your book it is nice to hear your story. We all have our own story about how we got into the Wheel Horse hobby but with you providing the Wheel Horse history to us you have taken it to a different level.

A big Thank You for providing the history to us. Without what you have done with your research and book most of us would have no idea about the Ponds and what they did.