Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

Engine Mounting

Electro12WH

I have a '68 Charger 12 frame with the engine mounting bolt pattern that's 11"x5". I'm using a K341 that's built up from various parts. It's bolt pattern is 7"x5". Am I better off drilling four new holes in the frame or making some kind of adapter?

Teddy da Bear

I personally would make an engine mounting plate if you want to keep the frame original.

Only things to worry about are hood clearance and keeping the final position of the PTO drive pulley in line with the tranny pulley.

Post us pictures of your progress!

Good Luck! :banghead:

Electro12WH

I can make a plate that bolts to the original holes, but then the bolts coming up from underneath, the bolt heads will interfer with the frame.

kpinnc

I can make a plate that bolts to the original holes, but then the bolts coming up from underneath, the bolt heads will interfer with the frame.

Ran into that before, and I have a solution:

I used a 1/4 piece of plate steel, and welded studs where the bolt holes go. Studs up for the engine, down for the frame. If you drill all the holes first, you can weld the studs in from the bottom and grind the weld flush when you're done... Plus, pre-drilling allows you to "test fit" and make sure everything still lines up before you weld.

Worked great, and you don't ever have to use two hands (or wrenches) to tighten or loosen the nuts...

Good luck!

Kevin

Electro12WH

Sounds like a winner Kevin. Thanks!

Electro12WH

The oil pan I have is from a C160. Is there something that goes between the pan and frame? A cradle?

TT

Are you sure it's not from a C-161 or 165? :banghead:

A K-341 for C-160 had the eared block and the big oil pan. (which should be a direct fit.)

Electro12WH

Could be.