Anglo Traction

UK Storm Warnings

neil

As Richard has  correctly said, the South West of Uk has been paticularly hit quite bad  with flooding this year AGAIN . Many houses are now under water and even my own is pretty close to being flooded again , as it was in 2012.

I had to evacuate my partners 85 year old parents recently in a small dingy  &  Sadlly we are told that so far 8 people have lost their lives due to the recent flooding .

During the 2013 summer the rainfall was very minimal so i guess we are getting our quota of rain all in one hit  during the winter.

Edited by neil

Stormin

Just down the coast from me, between Allonby and Maryport, there was a car park between the road and the sea. I say was, as the beach is now up to the road. Across a couple of fields from me is the marsh. Some properties there got water in but not to bad..

Anglo Traction

Thank you Richard for this information. I am trying to learn more of your area now that I am a frequent visitor to the Europe section of RS.

Your welcome Van. I reciprocate . I use Google Earth to check out U.S. Member Locations/Geography and watch the ABC News spot on our BBC News 24 channel. :handgestures-thumbup:

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Thanks for all the pic's JUST GREAT !!

Spent a little time in Milford Haven Wales

in the Navy and wander about that area.

That was my first introduction to Fish @ chips

There I go back a ways !!!!!!!

wheeledhorseman

Thanks for all the pic's JUST GREAT !!

Spent a little time in Milford Haven Wales

in the Navy and wander about that area.

That was my first introduction to Fish @ chips

There I go back a ways !!!!!!!

Wales took a pounding earlier this week - the following photo is of the road between Haverfordwest (just north of Milford Haven) and St David. The 30 mph limit sign gives a clue as to the depth of shingle covering the road which made the national news on tv.

post-4509-0-06432300-1389309206_thumb.jp

My son was working in Wales this week and took these pics the following day.

post-4509-0-20676700-1389309245_thumb.jp

The road was in the process of being dug out but the land to the right in the photo was still under sea water. The storm had subsided but the sea was still very rough.

post-4509-0-53955400-1389309442_thumb.jp

The following panorama is also quite impressive. (as with all the pics, click to enlarge)

post-4509-0-83773900-1389309488_thumb.jp

Andy

Wheel-N-It

Thank you for posting these photos Andy. The power of the ocean is truely amazing.

Anglo Traction

Amazing pics. Thanks Andy. Here's an amusing one. Also on the News and in the Papers- Porthcawl, South Wales. Hope the Image Owner doesn't mind.

A 12lb Cod washed up on the Golf Course......not sure which hole it is...........Fish 'n' Chips anyone?

article-2535183-1A77B7FA00000578-665_634  

specialwheelhorse

The lay of the land is as I remember,But my heavans this is amazing and my heart goes out to

ALL over there. Yep i'll still take some fish @ chips.

Reminds me of a saying we used to have jn my uncles service, S--t on a shingle.

Many thanks for the update, Just don't know what to say !!!!!!!

wheeledhorseman

Thankfully the winds have dropped and there's been no rain for a couple of days so perhaps the end is in sight but I'm not counting on it. The River Test in Romsey continues to rise though and this is what happens when new housing estates are built on a floodplain! Photos taken yesterday (Friday) when I encountered the closure.

post-4509-0-15579300-1389479196_thumb.jp

There's always an idiot about of course - this van decided to ignore the fact that the road was closed, created a wake that washed against the garden walls, used the pavement to make his escape as there was a barrier across the road, and I don't think he did the engine any good at all as that's not steam in the air - that's oil smoke that hung in the air for several minutes afterwards.

post-4509-0-59251500-1389479711_thumb.jp

The water got pretty deep the closer to the river you got in the distance!

Andy

neil

wouldnt you have just loved that guy in the white transit to break down half way into the flood , some people just dont have one ounce of savvy .

good pics Andy

Stigian

I remember many years ago one of the drivers at the company I worked for tried driving through a closed off flooded road (at Yalding which once again has been hit very hard by floods) in a Renault Master van... The engine very quickly stopped once it sucked water in!!

I think he was "asked" to leave the company shortly afterwards!

Then there was the very stupid bus driver who thought it would be good idea to drive his bus (with loads of school kids aboard) through a very flooded road in East Peckham a few years ago.. The water level was only a few inches from entering houses before he came through.

You can guess what the wash did!!!

Anglo Traction

The Next lot of (recent) Forecast heavy rain has just started here (locally) bang on schedule. Due to get an inch+ (30+mm).
over the next 8 hours. Then it's high winds and isolated heavy showers again!.
Look's like the South West area will stay flooded for another week at least.

Edited by Anglo Traction

neil

Richard, we are due for another whole weekend of rain , so i guess the South West is gonna  get hit  badly again , many homes under water

pmackellow

Just hope Dorchester is ok by Sunday, going there to pick up another bargain from that well known auction website !!

meadowfield

Heavy here too, snow on the hills now

pmackellow

So you'll be out at play with the plough then Mark !!

neil

Paul. Dorchester has now been renamed as Atlantis as it is now underwater LOL so take a boat with you when you go to pick up your new toy  

meadowfield

So you'll be out at play with the plough then Mark !!

Plough doesn't fit on C4 :( the belt and front axle get in the way...

Might try it on the GT though :D

Anglo Traction

Yawn, Not much sleep last night what with the heavy rain lashing the windows  Had a 'Lay In' to catch up .  

Stormin

Suns shining up here at the moment. Though looking a bit grey over the fells. Very strong and cold wind coming from the south west just to cool us down.

pmackellow

Paul. Dorchester has now been renamed as Atlantis as it is now underwater LOL so take a boat with you when you go to pick up your new toy  

Is it really that bad then ??

Anglo Traction

And yet more Storms due tonight and tomorrow night !!. That renowned combination of up to 70mph winds and a few more inches of rain is due to hit again.

wheeledhorseman

Wellow in Hampshire is the only place officially twinned with Atlantis.

post-4509-0-62319800-1391556838_thumb.jp

What's happened in Somerset (the cut off village) seems to finally answer the question of where 'Avalon' (final resting place of King Arthur) actually was.

Meanwhile - we had pretty much an inch last night and , as Richard says, more to follow in the next two days. Is it me or do I recall the forecasters saying not long ago that there was a high building in the Atlantic that would see an end to all this. Yeah, right! They know nothing!

It's only about 18 months since Southern Water forced water meters on its customers here announced by a glossy publication going into great detail about how climate change meant we could expect less rainfall and therefore the need to conserve water. Yeah, right! They know nothing!

It's a pity the huge sum involved putting a water meter in every home in Romsey wasn't spent on improving the sewerage / drain system that they are also responsible for and which led to flooding last month.

So it goes on, and on, and on.

Andy

neil

The reasom why parts of Somerset are so much underwater is that there is so much housing development going on  that the water that is collected from these houses & streets etc is  being forces into the drainage systems  & is not allowing the rainwater too drain away naturally . The land that these houses now stand on were once just open fields so when it rained the rainwater would just soak into the ground & then slowly enter into the drainage systems & allow the water to disperse at a slow rate . Then the houses were built ,& the water that is collected enter the drainage sytem far to quickly & thus causes the flooding further down in the low lands ,

This is why the Somerset levels are flooding so badly & this is the result over development . whatch this space it will only get worse unless they stop filling up the brown field with thousands of houses .

Stormin

Oh yes! Look there's some open fields. Lets develope  them and build houses/super store. Develop to me means improve, not spoil. But of course it's cheaper to build on open land, than derelict urban land.

• Like 1