Wheelhorsestory

The Christmas Tractor (part 6)

Wheelhorsestory

So I got my first Wheel Horse.  It had a nice mower deck and a snow plow.  Now, my goal was to find out as much about this tractor as possible.  The Internet was relatively new at this time and there was nothing about Wheel Horse tractors.  I decided to restore this little tractor and visited my local Toro Wheel Horse dealer which was Knight's Power Equipment located in orange, CT.  They told me it was very old and known as a model called Lawn Ranger.  Yes, my first Wheel Horse tractor was a 1968 Lawn Ranger.

Then on Christmas day 1996, we had a fairly heavy snow fall.  I put on my new coat and gloves that I received as Christmas gifts, started up the tractor and began to plow my 20ft wide X 65ft long drive way. The Lawn Ranger pushed the 5" of snow without any problems. Up until that point I had the snow blade straight.  I decided to try the manual angle feature, so I dismounted the horse, pulled the plow pin and angled the blade.  Now, I never had a plow before, but I always thought it would be more fun than the snow blower that was on my old Dynamark. I put the Lawn Ranger in third gear and headed 40 ft down the driveway where the plow pile was located.  As I raced down the driveway, feeling the bumps from the tire chains, the cold wind hitting my face, I thought to my self, wow, this thing is awesome! Then it happened. I hit the snow pile with the angled plow. My life flashed before my eyes in slow motion as the tractor plunged off to the left with the speed of a rocket. The force was so great that the little Lawn Ranger spun in a circle and took down our mailbox.  It wouldn't have been so bad, except all the neighbors were out shoveling their own driveways and looked on as I made a fool of myself.  I thought to myself, this never happened with the old Dynamark with the 36" snow blower.

• Like 1

nylyon

LOL

Coadster32

I'm really enjoying this series. Thanks Mike.

neil

Cripes, i bet there a few sniggers behind snow shivels from the neighours Mike  LOL

KATO

LMAO :ROTF:

varosd

Mike,

My Dad got our 1977 B-80 from Knights!  small world.  love the story.  oh, for a video of that snowplow incident!   What did you tell the wife?  " Aw, that dang township plow took out our mailbox!!"

AMC RULES

:auto-swerve:  :wwp:  :auto-swerve:

Edited by AMC RULES

Lane Ranger

I love this Lawn Ranger story Mike!