eightlitermopar

suburban gas tank interchange?

eightlitermopar

My horse did not have a tank when I bought it. '61 551.

I was going to fabricate one or use the HF motor tank, just relocated under the hood.

However, I did find a tank on ebay, but I am not sure if it would work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-horse-suburban-gas-tank-/221327231794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3388218b32#ht_25wt_880

Are they pretty interchangeable, or should I stick with my plan just to make my own? I was going to support it from the frame instead of the hood itself...

eightlitermopar

Rboski

That tank would work.  I believe, the original tank would of had the fill hole on top near the front of the tank, and the outlet on the bottom would be on opposite side all the way at the rear of the tank  to allow easy access to the filter bowl.  I found a tank in pretty good shape for my 550 before I knew any better and the filter bowl will be way up under the nose when I put it on.  I also hung my tank off a frame to save the hood from future stress and repairs. The below pic shows pretty clearly how the inlet and outlet are on the same side. It'll work but it's not the most convenient.   I may still change it if I happen upon a correct tank.  Here's the link to my build thread for some ideas on a tank frame.    Also check out this thread for Duke's RJ-35 Restoration  His hood support modifications are what inspired me to come up with something for mine.

Good luck.  

550-2_zps581a42d9.jpg

rydogg

My horse did not have a tank when I bought it. '61 551.

I was going to fabricate one or use the HF motor tank, just relocated under the hood.

However, I did find a tank on ebay, but I am not sure if it would work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-horse-suburban-gas-tank-/221327231794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3388218b32#ht_25wt_880

Are they pretty interchangeable, or should I stick with my plan just to make my own? I was going to support it from the frame instead of the hood itself...

eightlitermopar

That tank will work on a 551 hopefully your hood still has straps or you will need to hunt some down or fabricate some.  You can also use the smaller kohler tank it is not factory correct for the 551 but still works they are easier to find but make sure you get the matching straps for the tank.  You don't need a to fabricate a bracket these hoods have supported the tanks for over 50 years they can handle it but that's your call I prefer to keep them as original as possible.

post-2337-0-30125300-1386077935_thumb.jp

Edited by rydogg

eightlitermopar

Thanks for the info guys! I know I may have to fabricate a little, but I do want to keep things pretty original.

I am just nervous about welding on a good round nose hood!

Thanks again! You are awesome.

Eightlitermopar

smokin joe

That tank is actually out of a junk 551 I parted out but will fit all suburban models.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

eightlitermopar

Ok cool! thanks Smokin Joe, that helps a lot.

I am actually not quite to that part in my project yet. I have a small miscellaneous tank I am going to see if it works.

I am going to have to fabricate a couple of things, just seeing what it's supposed to look like.

Thanks!