ARK

Are tire chains a needed thing with wheel weights

ARK

I am a new Wheel Horse owner that just installed a plow and wheel weights but have tire chains that I left sitting in the box.  I keep reading that chains are a bad thing if the road surface is clear.  With that in mind I am looking for information and about the experiences other plow users do with their Horse.  With wheel weights is traction that improved?  My driveway is in town and is rather small but paved and level.  The tractor is a 312-8, the blade a Toro 4' angling.  Thank you for your input, I will pay heed to your suggestions.

• Like 1

69mach

I'm going to say absolutely. Maybe 3 to 4" s of fluff you'll be good being level. I'm a freak about my driveway & I run chains all the time. Try it then you could always throw them on if it's not hooking up.

Tim

yes to chains and weight

stevasaurus

You can always put them on if you are not getting the traction you want.  I think the trick is to not spin the tires with the chains on...that's when you scratch things up.  Chains really make a difference though.  You just have to experiment and see what works for you...dry snows are a different animal then wet and freezing snow.  :)  Here is hoping you get enough snow to get your horse out and play in it...nothing like moving snow on a cold winter's night. :woohoo:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

jay1

Without question, YES.  I have about 75 pounds of wheels weights, and without chains I would not be about to snow throw.  The wheels would just spin in many situations.  Plowing would be even worse.  Chains are a must.

zanepetty

I want to ride my horse on a winters night in snow. I love cold winter nights. I hope we get snow!

• Like 1

davey40181

personally if u used jus chains and no weights u would c a big difference chains and weight are a good combo i would never hesitate to use the chains you are lucky to have them

WH nut

You are going to want all the gription you can get.

KC9KAS

The 1st year I plowed with my Wheel Horse I had chains only. It did a pretty good job, but lost traction when I tried to move piles from previous snows.

Once I added weight to the tires, it was unstoppable!

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 3

ericj

i run ag tires or as some call bar tires on all of my working tractors that i can afford to put on and i don't run chains on them but i have fairly level ground and a black top drive. if you have a gravel drive then i say chains are a must. at the same time i keep chains handy just in case i need them

eric j

JimmyJam

Definitely weights and either: chains  or  Ag bar tires for traction. Go easy not to spin tires. It also helps to have tri-rib tires on the front for improved steering and less sliding. Another tip: Have an extra set of wheels and rims with chains pre-installed; makes life easier, because I was always too late to install chains and it ain't easy doing in the snow!

Edited by JimmyJam

69mach

I want to ride my horse on a winters night in snow. I love cold winter nights. I hope we get snow!

Man I hate snow but also can't wait for some.

ARK

Thank you all for your collective advice.  I am going to install the tire chains!

• Like 2

jay1

FYI--I found some tractor chains that were too small for my tractor, and added about 6 inches of links to it.  Works perfectly--and that was over 30 years ago.  Perhaps you can get used set.

ThreeHorses

I used to use tire chain on turf tires, hard on paved driveway.

I switched to bar tires, wheel and rear weights.

This setup works great on my gravel backlot, my neighbor's and my paved drives, no scratching up the drives.

I still have chains but haven't used them.

For mounting the chains the easiest way is to use a floor jack under the center of the hitch.

I think this is much easier than having a separate set of wheels with chain on them and having to jack up the tractor and switch wheels.

Sounds like a lot of extra expense and work.

I switched to studs on my hubs which makes switching from turf to bar tires much easier.

I do use tri ribs on the front.

doc724

When I used to plow (I now use a blower), I always used chains and weights on the standard turf tires.  Still, when the snow was deep, I ended up spinning the tires and creating some significant marks on the driveway which are still there 4 seasons later.  One thing that no one else has mentioned is the slickness of the driveway surface.  If you seal your driveway with latex driveway sealer, you may notice that the surface is quite slick, even without snow.  To improve winter traction, I mixed some sand into the latex sealer when I put it down.  The surface is more like sandpaper and did make a difference.

jay1

I modified some chains for another tractor by adding links.  In addition, from the prior tractor I had, it had 4 sleeve bars of about 30 pounds each (total 120) that are not wheel weights.  I adopted them to hang off of the support under the rear of the seat and partially rest on the tow bar.  Three of the sleeve bars (each 30 pds) slide off of the main structure, works well.  With the chains and 90 pounds of weights I go through anything.  (I normally leave of the last 30 pound round sleeve.

I have tried to save time and not put the chains on, but I know from experience that chains must go on.  I also have tried it without weights, major difference not having any weights back there.

QUESTION--guys, I normally use 90 pounds of weights and leave it on the tractor all year-----how much weight do you use????????????  Maybe 60 would be just as effective.

rydogg

I never have used weights but chains are necessary when the snow/ice start to get packed on my gravel driveway.  My little 552 with the 5.5hp lauson can push through amazing amounts of snow with the 42 inch snow blade....I stopped to take this picture and got back on and drove right through this drift without any problem.  My old C160 snow throwing machine had such a heavy cab I didn't need weights.  These are old pics no snow here yet.

post-2337-0-22060700-1386082628_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-32078300-1386082683.jpg

Edited by rydogg
  • Like 1

Coadster32

I plow with weight and AG tread..not much of a problem. I just purchased and installed rubber chains to my snow-throwing tractor for this year. Tires have weights as well.

• Like 1

fourwheels0

well we'll see if i need chains. i have 2 links if needed.

110 on wheels

45 on the hitch

front weights on the way.

SAM_0833_zps5d2c41c0.jpg

ARK

Gentlemen ,thanks

KC9KAS

I bought 2 pair of chains at a flea market.

The chains were for automobiles or light trucks, and were only $5 a set.

I figured I couldn't go wrong on that deal.

When I got them home and started messing with them, 1 set (haven't messed with the 2nd set) was 2 link chains, so I am very happy with the purchase.

Coadster32

One thing worth mentioning, is about weighting the front as well. If you don't you might lose the steering ability due to the snow load on the plow. I put front weights on, and hung 100lbs under the engine block. Also used tri-ribs, and problem solved. (Although the roller chain idea looks awesome as well)

• Like 1

Brrly1

Ags, tri-ribs and weights all the way around

Edited by Brrly1

Row Cropper

I start out every season without chains.  Currently my 520 plow tractor has ag tires on the rear filled with 6 gallons of washer fluid in each one.  I have a 54" blade, so I add weight to the front to prevent loss of steering when the blade is angled.  My front weight is an old 4" square basketball pole filled with concrete, cut into about 2' lengths.  I welded two sections together, built a carrier bracket for the front tach-a-matic and it works wonders.  I would guess it weighs 60-70 lbs.  At some point in the season, the chains usually have to be put on, depends on the conditions.  If we have ice under the snow, chains are a must.  When I need them, I just back into the shop and lift the rear with my overhead hoist and it takes just a few minutes for the transition.  I much prefer to not use them, but don't hesitate to put them on when I can't go when and where I want to!