Kevbo

Plowing snow with a Sundstrand?

Kevbo

Hey guys so I have a C-120 that I traded for earlier this year and I am contemplating putting a 48" plow on the front...I have a snow blower on my 417-A with the strong Eaton transmission which I have heard many rant and rave over the strength of the Eaton...so my question is: Does the Sundstrand in the C-120 have the strength to plow up and down a driveway that is on a rather steep grade? I will equip the C-120 with wheel weights and chains and mount the 48" plow depending on what you all think  :eusa-think:  I don't want to put the Sundstrand through stress that it cannot take as I have many other tractors I could use for the plow (but I like the hydro idea!).

Sparky

The Sundstrand is very capable of your snow chores. Its hard to be fair when comparing a Sundstrand and an Eaton since one is undoughtably older, (your Sundstrand could be 10+ years older) of course an older unit will have probably more issues and probably more hours as well. If the Sundstrand is properly maintained with clean fluid and a new filter it should hold up well.

Mike............

ELECTRORIC

I PLOW WITH A 1968 ELECTRO12 W/SUNSTRAND&HYDRALIC LIFT, I USE A 42" PLOW,23-10.50X12 AG TIRES W/WEIGHTS&FLUID IN TIRES,NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I think a good Sundstrand is at least as good as a good Eaton 1100.

• Like 1

953 nut

My 1970 GT-14 has a Sundstrand and is equiped with a front end loader, much more of a workout than a snow plow and works great. As far as plowing a steep grade is concerned I have a STEEP driveway and have found that in wet snow or if there is ice under it I need to drive to the top with the blade up and plow down hill for the first couple of passes regardless of what I am plowing with.

Edited by 953 nut

Kevbo

Thanks for the responses guys! Now all I need is SNOW!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

pfrederi

My primary plow tractor is Sundstrand Electro 12.  She has the limited slip differential and she is a beast.  The black iron wheel weights are 69 lbs each, and I have another 60 on the draw bar (front wheel weight from a Case VAC tractor).  I don't have really steep hils but she is a worker.

207672292841780.jpg

• Like 2

jeremi3210

I use a gt14 and a c121 and i have no problems.

redhorserider

I also plow with my 68' electro 12 and the sundstrand is smooth and works great. I have about a 150-200' driveway and it doesnt even hiccup on full passes. This thing moves mountains of snow. Including the wall of snow the village plow leaves across my drive 

rexman72

i have seen people plow with hydro gear trannys so you should be all set

dodgemike

I have my Dad's C121. Original

motor and trans. He was very

good on the maintenance. I have

a large gravel drive. The plow

stays on year round for upkeep

of the drive. I have spread as much

as 10 tons gravel in an afternoon.

It is a little beast.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

indywheelhorsenut

Record snow fall in Indianapolis this year... most ever I believe... Plowed all winter and many before with my C-160 Auto... never has the tranny even hinted that it was being strained or slipping...