P3x

9642ST01 Snowthrow Bearing Maint.

P3x

Recently purchased a couple of these single stage STs. One is pretty well used with worn bearings and the other seems to be in good shape. Downloaded a couple of Single Stg manuals and searched the site to see if there is any lubrication recommendations for the bearings. Only find to oil the chain, sprockets, and linkages, etc. with oil.

The "good one" has been stored outside under a tarp for several years without use. Before I run it would like to see what others do to prepare their STs for snow duty. As always, any and all tips appreciated!

Thanks

p3x

dbartlett1958

P3x,

The bearings on my SS blower have grease fittings to lube them. I just use a grease gun with some good grease every couple of uses during the winter. As for the chain, I use Bar & Chain oil with a small paint brush and just put some on when I think it needs it.

P3x

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response.

I was surprised to not find grease fittings on WH snowthrower bearing components.  Do you know if the fittings on your ST are stock or added later?  Have not mounted it yet but hope to this weekend. 

Looking forward to see how it does.

Tim

dbartlett1958

Tim,

The grease fittings on my blower are from the factory. Mine is a late 80's-1990 vintage. I would think you could easily remove the side plate on those bearings and drill and tap for a grease fitting.

dwayneGT

I use a motorcycle chain lube on my thrower. It comes in a spray can and has a nozzle (like wd-40). it also has teflon in it and is designed not to "fling" off, you can get it at Lowes. Mine is an older model (1968) that I retro-fit to work on the tach o matic it also has no grease fittings.On a side note don't tighten the chain to much like you would a belt it should have a little play in it,

Edited by dwayneGT