Wheelhorsestory

The Christmas Tractor

Wheelhorsestory

Many people ask how did I, a band director get involve with Wheel Horse tractors.  Well, it is a holiday story that goes back to when I was eleven years old.  Our family dentist was a friend of my dad's. Anytime, my dad would visit him, I would like to go along. My goal was to get a good look at a tractor in his garage.  I believe it was a Bronco 14 and he had just about every attachment you could buy from Wheel Horse. 

I had to have one of these tractors, but I knew it would probably never happen. 

Later that year, on Christmas morning, I woke up early as usual, and instead of going right down stairs to see the gifts spread out under the tree and across the living room, I stopped to visit the bathroom. Now, I am sure that you all remember the feeling of being eleven years old on Christmas morning. My mind was racing from one thought to another.  What did Santa bring?  Was it a new Hot Wheels race set?  Was it a Matel Thing Maker?  Do you remember that thing?  You would pour the "Goop" into a metal mold and then insert it into a hot cooker that it came with.  The result was a rubbery worm or bug and usually a bad burn.

As I was in the bathroom, dreaming of what the day would bring, I noticed that it had snowed a little on Christmas Eve.  How cool is that!  I pulled back the curtain to get a better look and there it was!  A shinny red tractor with mower deck and snow blower. The snow blower was mounted on it and it even had tire chains. Could it be?  Well, kind of.  It was a shinny red Dynamark riding mower. I was so excited that I completely forgot about that guys Wheel Horse tractor.  I now had my own tractor and that is all I cared about. 

I loved that Dynamark model 8/36 so much.  In fact, I started a little business of cutting lawns in the neighborhood.  I would hook up a used Jackson dump cart that I put our Toro push mower in and off I went.  I was probably one of the first "Landscapers" that we have so many of today.

Check out this post tomorrow for more of the story.....   :occasion-santa:

Merry Christmas,

Mike Martino

• Like 2

meadowfield

Great story Mike! :)

Sparky

Nice story...lookin forward to "part 2"

Mike..........

squonk

How cool is that. Reminds me of when my mom bought me a Craftsman sno-blower for Christmas. There was an envelope in the tree and inside it was a note directing me to another envelope hidden somewhere in the house. I opened like 6 of them before it directed me to the garage. Then I knew what was coming! only downfall was I had to put it together!  :)

AMC RULES

Man! All I ever got was socks, 

and some tangerines.....once.   :angry-screaming:

• Like 1

squonk

Looks like you need more socks! Along with a certain other person we know too well!

AMC RULES

Humm, that explains it...

I probably got his.   :eusa-think:

KC9KAS

Very nice story.

Patiently waiting for the next chapter.

neil

Great story Michael , Whatever happened to the Dynamark ?

Who would have thought that 30 odd years later you would have written books about your beloved tractors & become great fiends with their inventor

Looking forward to part 2