pacer

D-180 and D-160 compatability?

pacer

I have a D-180 and its never had any major work done on it, and actually doesnt show any need of anything... yet! I cant help but worry about the more and more scarcity of the automatic drive components. (the recent post on that D-180 differential disaster scared me)

So ... Im thinking parts tractor. I have a D-160 spotted with a - supposed - new 16 Kohler and 'good' hydraulics, its pretty rough in appearance, obviously sitting out for a lengthy time, etc. My question is how closely compatible are the 160 and 180 especially the Sundstrand drive?? I wouldnt want to buy this thing and have the drives not be the same.

Thanks

Bill Pace

Sparky

Same drive setup....probably a good idea to have spare unit standing by. Maybe even split the spare and check out the diff bolts and get it in tip-top shape so when/if you need it its ready to go.

Mike..........

• Like 1

z34monty

Every thing is pretty much the same, but not the motor or the electric clutch and they won't interchange, but you change whole the motor. It will hook up to the hydro. pump

brandonozz

Same drive setup....probably a good idea to have spare unit standing by. Maybe even split the spare and check out the diff bolts and get it in tip-top shape so when/if you need it its ready to go.

Mike..........

I'm with Mike on this one. I would open up the spare and install grade 9 bolts and make sure its good and clean inside and clean the screen. I've been into three D transaxles trying to get one good one and all had been into by a PO! Other than the hubs, it's not a hard job.

I think I saw the one your looking at and the only thing that scared me is why the owner rebuilt the engine and then let it set. Couldn't help but think there was something else wrong with it.

Good luck Bill, having spare parts is never a bad thing!

pacer

I went ahead and bought the D-160 - guy would not budge off the $300. It was located in Josephine, NE Texas. After struggling with fuel related problems (old gas) for 2-3 hrs, it finally settled in to run pretty good - the engine was obviously a genuine Kohler replacement and was pretty clean and after it ran good I felt better. Then to drive it! Had been sitting for some length of time - more than the owners stated 2-3 yrs. The Ross steering was out on it, but would move the front wheels a little bit, and after rocking back & forth several times to get it out of the holes the tires had sunk into, it moved on out and seemed to be a good working drive system, so loaded her up and headed for La.

Been a couple weeks now and have got the Ross steering fixed along with a handful of other glitches and be doggoned if that ugly, mistreated ole girl dont run out really well! I'm quite pleased! Makes the $300 cost seem a lot better...

And, aside from the single cylinder 16 Kohler, the rest of the tractor is just like my D-180...

JackC

Great score for $300.  The replacement single cylinder Kohler could make it one of the most reliable tractor you could find.  

You can now brag to your friends that you have a pair of D's.

The only thing you need now is another D to serve as a parts tractor for your nice twins.  And on and on.

brandonozz

Bill, glad to hear it sounds like you got a good deal . That wasn't the one I thought you were looking at up in Arkansas.

pacer

That wasn't the one I thought you were looking at up in Arkansas.

I really wanted that D-200 in Pine Bluff but at $600 not running, sitting on flats, outside --- after feeling him out for a lesser price in an email and seemingly insulting him, I couldnt even get a reply on any more emails  - and its still listed, ad been running now for some 4-5 months.

As a comparison, the D-160 I got in Tx was listed last summer at $600 .... nothing, month or so later he lowered the price to $400 ---nothing, and then couple more months later lowered to $300 and that done the deal.