oe espo

Snow plow edge worn

oe espo

Got a problem with an old 42" snow plow. The plow is worn to the center line of the cutting edge bolts. Could someone provide a dimension from the center of the bolt holes to the bottom of the plow? I'm going to try to weld a small strip on and then make a new cutting edge. Also, is the cutting edge symmetrical about the mounting bolt holes? Width of cutting edge? If I had these couple dimensions from a new setup. I could get back in business. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Trouty56

Wish I could help.....never had a "new" anything with these tractors....me??...I would fab it up to what I think would work.....The one I use is welded differently than original.....works fine....

oe espo

Ive attached some pictures.  i also havent ever had a new of anything.  i got this tractor from a brothers friend for a good price.  now i just seem to have work on every little thing.  fun when have time, not fun when you have 8" of snow in the drive.....

also can someone tell me if the Blade control rod shoudl be straight? this one is bent in the photo i was going to straighten unless it is supposed to be bent.

any help appreciated to the newbie.  thanks. and happy thanksgiving.

post-7482-0-96270100-1385655512_thumb.jp

post-7482-0-25484300-1385655514_thumb.jp

post-7482-0-00753800-1385655768.jpg

Trouty56

straight on the rod.....the blade I have has a 1" angle welded to the square at the base of the blade.....new holes drilled.....2" x 3/16" flat steel for the scraper.....probably should grind that other material off....all these measurements are off the top of my head but I think you will get the picture......

Wishin4a416

I tryed to get some numbers but it is a tough task with the plow on. Even in the raised position. It looks like 3/4'' or so from center of hole to bottom of plow not counting the cutting edge. I put a new cutting edge on mine last year made out of 1/4'' by 2'' bar stock. Hope this helps.

dodge78

th_P1020887_zpsf2cb17dc.jpg

th_LP1020888_zps62d47b75.jpg

th_LP1020890_zps64aea182.jpg

• Like 1

cjsdad

Mine is also getting worn like yours.  The "blade" on mine looks like it can be turned over for a fresh new scraper, just needs a washer or similar welded on so a bolt will have something to hold onto. 

:twocents-02cents:

vicmcn

I have done several times what it is you are talking about doing. I have done it on 42" blades mostly but I just finished a 54" GT 14 Blade this week. It is truly the correct way to fix the blade so that it will give you many more years of service and trouble free service as long as you monitor the wear on your cutting edge. Remember to flip the cutting edge when the one side reaches maximum wear so that you are utilizing both edges before you discard and replace them. When marking the bolt pattern for new holes, measure up from the bottom edge 3/4" for one center line. Then, measurements for the other five center lines, measuring from the same edge for all five holes, are as follows: 2", 11-1/2", 21", 30-1/2", and 40". Also, when I replace that area of the blade, I use a torch and cut it off all the way across the bottom right at the bottom of the reinforcement channel and replace it with a thicker 1/4" strip that is about 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" wide. I also run one continuous weld all the way across. This will help to make the blade a little more rigid. The replacable cutting edges are actually 2-1/2" wide instead of 2" which has been noted in the other comments.

• Excellent 1

oe espo

Where the picture are terrible from my phone. but here is what i ended up doing.  The reinforcing channel on back was packed full of rust.  i probably should have replaced it too.  i also added a UHMW (plastic) cutting edge that made wider and sandwiched in  between teh new steel cutting edge to try out on my asphalt drive. seems to work pretty good.  Back on the trail again!  thanks for all the help.

post-7482-0-96778200-1386611256_thumb.jp

post-7482-0-75213000-1386611257_thumb.jp

post-7482-0-70661600-1386611258_thumb.jp

post-7482-0-08253200-1386611259_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Coadster32

Good lob! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Had the same problem, worn thru 1/2 the bolts. I got a piece of 3/8" x 4" and welded it solid all the way across. No flipping necessary, as that should last me a lifetime!

(if it doesn't at least I'll have good material that I could drill and tap in 40 years from now) :hide: