Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Tecumseh help

Rollerman

Group I get a little lost with the Tecumseh engines.

Here is what I'm after....I have an H60 with electric start out of a Lawn Ranger & it has a bad knock.

I also have an HH70 with electric start but no charging system on it?

I'm wondering if I can swap the flywheel,stator & misc off the H60 onto the HH70 so it will have a charging system?

Anybody have an idea? :D

If I was dealing with a Kohler this would be a non issue :P

Thanks in advance.

nylyon

Knowing nothing about it, I would say if it physically fits, it should work. Assuming of course that you can get the gaps between the flywheel and the coils correct. I have done similar to this with various franken-briggs back in my mini-bike days and and had it work.

Rollerman

Franken-Briggs?...I think I seen that movie on Sci Fi a while back?

If it were not for the cluttered counter space I have in my shop at the moment I would pull them apart & see whats-what.

I have a snow blower for a Lawn Ranger & I want to get the tractor going so the boy can try it out.

Eventually the weatherman will be right & it will snow not rain :D

T-Mo

I'm with Karl, I know very little about the Tecumsehs and engines in general. But I do have a couple of questions.

How big is the diameters on the flywheels? If the H60 has a smaller diameter flywheel than does the HH70 then it might work, but won't you lose some torque and/or power?

Rollerman

I beleive the engines "H60 & HH70" are compareable in size?

Like small block Kohlers K's 141,161,&181.

Just seems odd the HH70 is electric start but without a charging system for the battery?

It's a nice engine, but if I would have caught that I would have passed on it.

Rollerman

Here's a pic of the 2 Tuckies...the red one is the H60 6HP aluminium block original Lawn Ranger engine complete with knock.

The silver one is an HH70 7HP cast iron block, Im curious why it would have electric start & no provisions for a charging circuit?

I think friday I'll play mad Tuckie scientist & see what happens. :D

Hope you guys don't mind the pics, it's what makes this site great though...being able to read & get the visual at the same time!

1213071334.jpg

T-Mo

I agree, I like to have a few pictures every once in a while. That's my biggest problem with the Yahoo groups. It's nice to, not only be able to post a picture in your post, but to see them as you skim through a thread. I also like the thread format here also.

Curmudgeon

Stephen!!!!!!!!! What you need is the two Tecumseh's I'd like to get rid of!!! an HH 50 and HH 60. Or maybe there is only one H in front? I'd have to go look, and to do that would mean shoveling snow away from the barn door......

Dale, still loving winter in Michigan. NOT

kpinnc

Dale,

I'm in the same boat you are with my HH-55D on my 551. I've avoided that tractor restore for years- simply because I know nothing about Techumsehs. My dad refers to them as "bastard engines" (please pardon the ugly word)! :D

My 551 has a broken rod- it was like that when I got it. For that matter, every Techumseh 5-6 hp I've run across has a broken rod... I'm thinking this is a not-so-odd failure for these engines. Mine is a cast iron block, so I guess thats a good thing. All the aluminum ones I've seen have a huge hole knocked out of the block when the rods break... Mine came in a box, so I don't have a clue what may have been wrong with it.

If you do find any info on these things, please post it here. I'd really like to keep the 551 original. I know I'll need rings, gaskets, rod, etc... I just don't know what is compatible.

Thanks!

Kevin

kpinnc

Im curious why it would have electric start & no provisions for a charging circuit?

Stephen, I've got a K301 Kohler that is exactly the same. It came from a truck- mounted compressor, and it used the truck battery for cranking.

Why one as small as Dale's would be used that way doesn't make alot of sense, but maybe it was a similar setup? :D

Kevin

Rollerman

I know that some of the Tecumseh's used on snow blowers had a 110AC starter on them.

Guess I don't know if this is one of them...but I don't think so.

I'm not up on the Tuckies like the Kohlers.

But your K301 would be simple to me....put a stator n flywheel on it off most in big block kohlers & (walla)...you have a charging system with the retifier.

By the way Kevin.....your dad is a smart man & the word is not ugly enough..LOL

kpinnc

But your K301 would be simple to me....put a stator n flywheel on it off most in big block kohlers & (walla)...you have a charging system with the retifier.

Stephen, That's a good point. My K301 dosen't even have magnets in the flywheel. It's a weird one, and I was thinking all I could do was set it up with a starter/generator. Crazy thing is it has the teeth on the flywheel, just no way to add a stator. Go figure... :D

Yeah, dad is pretty sharp. We just don't tell him. It's the only way to get his head through a standard door. :P

Kevin

Rollerman

Kevin something sounds odd...Most K sereis have a battery ignition & will not run long without a charging system....& yes I did say most :P

A starter/generator would work too...or just watch ebay for the flywheel & stator.

Does the shroud have the buldge for the starter gear?

Should be 2 tapped holes at the back of the block for the starter also.

These were used for the S/G bracket or the gear starter.

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all...LOL :D

I have a few odd ball Kohlers around here...hard to pass up on them when you can get them for the right money.

kpinnc

Stephen,

Yeah, the K301 had a standard flywheel starter on it. Just no charging system at all. I agree with you, it just didn't add up. I can't say for sure if it was drilled for a S/G bracket or not. I'll have to look.

Kevin

TT

The Kohlers that were used on service trucks were normally wired to the battery of the vehicle on which they were mounted. An example of this set up would be the Goodall "Start-All" units which usually had a 12 to 16hp K or Magnum hooked to 3 or 4 belt driven 12 volt generators. These were used for high amperage jump start units for semi-trucks, mobile equipment, etc.

The charging system on the vehicle maintained one battery, and you didn't have to worry about taking care of a second battery to start the Kohler. Some of the older motorhome generators were set up pretty much the same way.

Rollerman

Terry, good info.

May have to do a web search & see what I come up with?

But it makes sence as a mobile generator power unit?

Curious to see a K or Mag. pulling 3/4 generator heads...sounds cool.

TT

Here's their site:

http://www.goodallmfg.com/home.html

I've been around a few of the older 12 hp K-301 units, and they do labor a little when hooked up to a 51B Terex loader or an old Mack!

The one we had at the lime plant would have an eight inch tongue of fire coming out the end of the pipe when it was working hard and MAN did it sound good! :D