cumminscook

523dxi

cumminscook

My friend just got a 523dxi and now that it got cold out he said the steering is locked up was wondering if anyone else had this problem please let me know thanks

Edited by cumminscook

wh500special

Is this with the engine running?  Does the PS operate when it's warmer?

There's a power steering filter behind the left side access panel (the black screen on the left side below the steering wheel) that is probably clogged.  Remove the panel, disassemble the filter unit, clean it with solvent, change the transmission fluid, and reassemble and reinstall the filter.  Hopefully that will make the difference.

I know my 520Lxi steers different when cold than when hot.  Thick fluid can make a difference until things are warmed up.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by wh500special

cumminscook

yes this is with it running I didn't get a chance to get to him and look at it but when I do ill let you know thanks , Fred

Forest Road

Same thing happened to my 522xi. Granted mine is in northern NY and used 2 -3x a year under those conditions, -10 is common. It also has 1100 hours and is left in an unheated shed.

I started the tractor and discovered the problem. I covered the engine compartment vent holes with a moving blanket and let it run at high throttle for 30 min or more. It was still tuff to turn but once I was able to turn just a bit it was freed up within minutes. I cleaned the filter Steve mentioned, honestly it was clean.

I believe that there was some moisture in the oil, it's 10+ years old. I drained the hydro system and refilled it this past summer. Hoping it helps. Tell your friend to drain it, change filter as well. Put a few hours on it and change the hydro fluid again.

• Like 1

truckin88

I wonder if you used napa snow plow oil it would work better, it is basically atf with anti mositure and freezing additives meant for a truck plow.

wh500special

Ice seems like a good explanation. Bet you're right.

You MIGHT be able to experiment with other oils, but I wouldn't. The hydraulic system on these -like most other Horses - shares its oil with the transmission. So I'd stick to the factory fill stuff in mine.

Steve

shorts

You might want to look into aircraft oil or freezer oil at your local forklift dealer, special hydraulic oil for use in extreme low temperature applications

midnight rambler

i have a 523dxi also and mine does the same thing until the oil is warmed up in it as well

squonk

Is there any place to stick a magnetic block heater on the trans sump. I have one on my C-160 hydro and my loader tractor hyd. tank

http://www.napaprolink.com/Detail.aspx?R=KAT1153_0331540192