m2424j

1968 Charger 9 found today

m2424j

I haven't posted for a long time but I haven't stopped horsing around! I came up with a plan to teach my son how to repair small engines and learn the fundamentals of mechanical repair. He and his friend could help repair and sell to purchase another one and do the same.  I also happen to be a Wheel Horse addict so this helps me with my obsession too. :handgestures-thumbupright: I found a Wheel Horse in the local classified add that looked like it would make a great project. After many e-mails and calls I finally was able to set a date and time to go check this hidden treasure out.

When we reached our destination the old girl was sitting lonely and cold under a ragged worn out tarp. I had no idea what I had found because the sticker just said Wheel Horse. What more do you really need! :flags-usa: The sellers inherited the tractor and did know much about her. They just said it was fun to ride on. It was missing one rear tire chain and the weights seem to be gone. They thought it had a mower but couldn't locate it. I offered $100.00 and took my chances know the motor had compression, wasn't seized and the tractor had a plow. He said yes and off we went. the old girl up

We brought her home and warmed the old girl up in the garage. I still had no idea what she post-2496-0-38787000-1385345750_thumb.jpwas but I knew it was worth a $100.00. The boys and I spent some time cleaning the leaves out, draining the old gas and checking the oil. We didn't take the carb apart or look at the spark plug yet I was too excited. :happy-bouncymulticolor: We jumped the battery and she started right up. It sounds great and the automatic drive is sweet. Now the boys are Wheel Horse addicts too and they think we should keep her for our very own. It has hydraulic lift for the plow as well. What a cool fun find from 1968!

• Like 9

JimD

Very nice. I agree with the boys that you should keep and let them fix it up for use at home. They will have a lot of fun and you can help them go as far as they want with it and help along the way. You have a good plan Dad, just picked too nice a tractor to part with. :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Neat tractor...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

If you do decide to let it go, let me know. 

Wheel-N-It

Yep, that was a darn good find, and only $100 !!!  Thanks for the pics!

m2424j

Thanks for the replies. I just looked at the Charger 9 manuals on the site. Wow! This tractor had the option for 17 attachments. Which brings me to a question for you pros. :techie-eureka:  Where can I find a attachment clutch 8-3111 or what I call  a Tach-A-Matic for my 310-8. This attachment clutch was needed for all the attachments except for the snow dozer blade I have on it. I guess this vintage didn't use the mule drive system on the front?

This tractor also has a cigarette lighter that works. Was that standard? I didn't see it listed in the accessories. I plowed the drive way with her today. The plow works great but a snowblower is the way to go up here in Maine.

If anyone has any ideas on where to find this attachment clutch I would appreciate it.

TravelinJavelin

wish I could find deals like that in maine!

gwest_ca

Pto manual

This 8-3111 had been changed to 83111 at Toro so try model numbers with a dash and without when you go there.

Garry

m2424j

I checked out the 8-3111. Thank you for clearing that part number up. I have the 8-3111 PTO on this tractor. I'm looking for tach-a-matic piece which holds the snowblower or mowing deck to the tractor frame. What would that part be called and where could I find one for this vintage? I will look in the manuals to try and find.

AMC RULES

A quick ebay search shows a few of 'em listed currently listed. 

PM sent.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

m2424j

I found out this morning the Wheel Horse 37" snow blower 6-1211 attaches to the front of the Charger by a long bolt that goes thought the frame with bushings on each end. The manuals on this site are a super help. Thanks to who ever puts them there for all to look up and down load. :happy-bouncymulticolor: Believe it or not I found 2 snowblowers today! One of the snowblowers is in perfect shape and it's a model 6-6211. It looks like it's not been used and I think it's the same style as 6-1211. I purchase them both for $100.00.  The chain sprockets on both are in great shape and look like they are new.

post-2496-0-81966000-1385590828_thumb.jp

timo4352

You are lucky finding some great deals there.

Jake Kuhn

Great deals! Looks like a very nice machine!

fourwheels0

i just happen to have those spacers and bolt if you need one.

SAM_0754_zps3c3f9b2a.jpg

oldblue1993

Thats great, I am going to pick up a cub 70 for the neighbor kid "cant change him" but I think kids today need this more then anything. Very nice find

m2424j

I found the tach a matic upgrade kit made by Wheel Horse for pre 1973  long frame models. The mule drive seems to be the most common way to drive a mower deck. It would make it easier for attaching a mower deck.  Did all PTO belt drive attachment tools have their own pullys ?

I had to add the picture of the Charger 9 outside running sweet as apple pie. 

post-2496-0-95926100-1385694111_thumb.jp

post-2496-0-10350100-1385694727_thumb.jp

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: very nice do u find many up there. I live in Springfield and hard at times to find them at times..... Gary    B......

Edited by T1257

sorekiwi

TT's tutorial for the homebuilt version: 

m2424j

That is perfect! Nice work TT. Thanks for adding the link Mike. That will save a lot of money for sure. The kit on e-bay was $150.00.  Now I'll have to do some shopping to find a used one. :woohoo: I'm going to look for a 8-5211 speed hitch. This is the mid mount tach a matic.

sorekiwi

Now I'll have to do some shopping to find a used one. :woohoo: I'm going to look for a 8-5211 speed hitch. This is the mid mount tach a matic.

Just PM Kelly, he'll have all the bits you need, it will all work, and his price will be fair.

KENNYSCHARGER9
On 11/24/2013 at 10:14 PM, AMC RULES said:

Neat tractor...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

If you do decide to let it go, let me know. 

I have a 1969 charger 9 for sale with the mower deck and a blade.

if you are interested please let me know.

i can send you pictures upon request.

KENNYSCHARGER9

I have a 1969 charger 9 with mower deck and dozer blade for sale.

Any questions please feel free to ask. I have pics that i will post shortly.

Handy Don
26 minutes ago, KENNYSCHARGER9 said:

I have a 1969 charger 9 with mower deck and dozer blade for sale.

Any questions please feel free to ask. I have pics that i will post shortly.

Hello there.

If you have something for sale, go ahead and post an item in the Classified section where it'll get a lot more attention! :D

This thread is eight years old!

RandyLittrell
On 11/28/2013 at 8:49 AM, oldblue1993 said:

Thats great, I am going to pick up a cub 70 for the neighbor kid "cant change him" but I think kids today need this more then anything. Very nice find

Many of us here own cubs too, fine machines! 

Randy

RandyLittrell
On 6/2/2021 at 1:40 PM, Handy Don said:

This thread is eight years old!

]

Dang, I miss that info everytime!!

Randy