cjsdad

Need to change my exhaust?

cjsdad

I bought my C-85 mainly to plow snow with and it has been a wonderful/terrible adventure getting it to this point where it is reliable.  I do have a question about the exhaust though.  When I spend an hour ot so in the driver's seat I end up smelling like exhaust, and it's a bit loud after a while.  Has anyone else encountered this and what, if anything, did you do about it?

I have the factory exhaust/muffler installed which exits on the left side.  Can the pipe be turned downward?  New muffler and pipe pointing up?  Any suggestions?

IMG_20131124_164029_068_zps2cdbef92.jpg

brandonozz

I wear hearing protection religously!  My family has history of hearing loss and I don't want to suffer the same as I get older.  I was ignorant when I was younger and never used hearing protection - didn't really know people used it except for stuff like shooting guns.  Hearing loss is permanent and those who suffer with it unfortunately miss out on a lot of "life".  Hearing loss is really frustrating and the person with the hearing loss is not the only one who suffers!

As far as smelling like exhaust, is the tractor possibly running a little rich?  I don't really have any problems with smelling the exhaust and I'm running stock mufflers on all my tractors but those with custom exhaust/stacks may be able to give you better ideas.

• Like 2

cjsdad

I thought about my hearing protection about an hour into the plowing.  I have a set of bluetooth headphones that work great for that.  15 years as a stereo installer has pretty much ruined my hearing as well.  It does run a bit rich because of the altitude, I'm at 7000 ft. elevation.

Hoist.gifHoist.gifHoist.gif

Edited by cjsdad

Jrblanke

I always wear ear plugs when running the tractor. As Brandon said, it is not just the people with the hearing loss that suffer. I also shower every now and then........In all seriousness, I ended up getting a cheap second flannel jacket that I wear when run the mower or work outside. 

Not sure if there is anything you can do about the exhaust smell. Also, those nelson mufflers are a little pricey to replace, so if you end up removing it, don't just throw it away. There are plenty of members here who could use it (including myself)

eb in oregon

I thought about my hearing protection about an hour into the plowing.  I have a set of bluetooth headphones that work great for that.  15 years as a stereo installer has pretty much ruined my hearing as well.  It does run a bit rich because of the altitude, I'm at 7000 ft. elevation.

Think about this. Your driving around on a tractor that makes noise. So, you mask the noise with a set of headsets. Notice I said mask? You have to turn up the music to mask the exhaust. This is not a good idea. I've lost hearing from firing ranges, much other gun firing and other accompanying noises. I wear a set of ear plugs running any engine, and a set of muffs too when shooting. I'd rather not loose anymore. You only get two ears and hearing aids are not the same thing. Trust me on this.

WH nut

If she is running rich you can lean it up.

flyovrcntry

You can find exhaust pipe and fittings with different kinds of bends at most farm supply or auto parts stores.Just rig it to go down and forward,it will be a lot quieter and you don't have to breath it.This will not affect the performance.

rick

Amen on the hearing aids not being the same!  My problem is differentiating speech from background noise, about all the aids do is ramp everything up. BTW, I got them from the same guy that does a good job on my glasses, not Wally World or a discount outlet.

rmaynard

Hearing loss is like lung cancer. Not everyone that smokes is going to get it, and not everyone that abuses their ears is going to have hearing loss. But,  why take the chance. If you think it's too loud, get some ear protection.  :twocents-02cents:

As far as the smell, I have never noticed any lingering smell on my clothing except when I am driving an oil burner, or as was stated above, one that is running very rich.

flyovrcntry

Got my hearing aids from the VA. The guy told me I was at the limit for hearing aids,the next step is implants. He put them in and told me how they function,then he said, what do you think? I said,I've heard every word since you put them in.It was odd at first,as I was leaving I noticed a tv was playing in the reception area,I just stopped and listened for a minute,I haden't heard it on the way in.As I was walking out to get my truck.I kept hearing something behind me.I stopped and looked around then I realized it was my own footsteps.

All hearing aids are not the same.I have had hearing aids for about 15 yrs,but nothing like these.When the guy was telling me about them,I said ,these must be pretty expensive.He told me if I bought them on the open market they would be $6,000.

• Like 1

brandonozz

From the outside looking in, anyone that saw my grandfather talking to my grandmother would have thought he was the meanest man they ever saw.  Always yelling at that nice old lady.  Truth is, if he didn't yell she would be completely left out of the conversation.  That is why she would just smile when the grandkids tried to talk to her.... because she usually had no idea what was being said as they couldn't/wouldn't raise their voice loud enough for her to hear.  Hearing aids in the 80's into the 90's were not a good as today but even the ones today can only do so much if your hearing is bad enough.  Now my father is dealing with hearing loss and let me tell you, the "lack of communication" causes lots of frustration and friction at times.

Hearing loss is directly related to how loud the "noise" it is and how long your exposed. Three shots from a gun or three hours on the tractor both can cause damage.  The rule of thumb is that if your in an area that you need to raise your voice to talk to someone that is 3' away, you should be wearing hearing protection. 

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Knucklebuster61

Why not put a stack on it? I've been thinking about doing the same. I'm hearing a rattling metal sound when I run my machine and there is nothing loose anywhere, so I'm thinking something is rattling inside of the stock muffler. Been considering going with a stack (when I can afford it). :twocents-02cents:

JimD

Hearing loss is like lung cancer.

Really? :scratchead:

cjsdad, you can turn the muffler down as you asked by loosening the clamp and getting it freed from the exhaust nipple. Rotate the whole muffler down till you have it where you want it. The disadvantage to doing this is that it may leave dark exhaust deposits on the hood, like a stain. Especially if it is running rich. Very difficult to remove after awhile and hard on the paint. I hope with the other suggestions made amid the hearing loss debate you will find a workable solution. Let us know how it goes. :)

cjsdad

cjsdad, you can turn the muffler down as you asked by loosening the clamp and getting it freed from the exhaust nipple. Rotate the whole muffler down till you have it where you want it. The disadvantage to doing this is that it may leave dark exhaust deposits on the hood, like a stain. Especially if it is running rich. Very difficult to remove after awhile and hard on the paint. I hope with the other suggestions made amid the hearing loss debate you will find a workable solution. Let us know how it goes. :)

That doesn't look like it will work by just loosening the clamp.  The muffler and pipe won't turn that way.  I was thinking about cutting the exit pipe and re-welding it with the opening pointed down.  Dunno if that would work correctly or not.  I'll hafta see what I can come up with. 

IMG_20131124_164049_331_zpsb8c0cce3.jpg

redidbull

I bought my stack from Tractor Supply and used plumbing fittings to hook it up. I also wear ear protection. I wear protection even when using my rotary lawn mower. My Dad was a Millwright and has bad hearing loss. Ear protection in 1950s and 60s was non existent. When my Mom was alive they had arguments I think because he couldn't hear. As mentioned it does cause a lot of frustration. He is 92 and doesn't want a hearing aid. Tough to change him. Jim

rick

Got my hearing aids from the VA. The guy told me I was at the limit for hearing aids,the next step is implants. He put them in and told me how they function,then he said, what do you think? I said,I've heard every word since you put them in.It was odd at first,as I was leaving I noticed a tv was playing in the reception area,I just stopped and listened for a minute,I haden't heard it on the way in.As I was walking out to get my truck.I kept hearing something behind me.I stopped and looked around then I realized it was my own footsteps.

All hearing aids are not the same.I have had hearing aids for about 15 yrs,but nothing like these.When the guy was telling me about them,I said ,these must be pretty expensive.He told me if I bought them on the open market they would be $6,000.

I didn't pay enough for mine!

Edited by rick

JimD

That doesn't look like it will work by just loosening the clamp.  The muffler and pipe won't turn that way.  I was thinking about cutting the exit pipe and re-welding it with the opening pointed down.  Dunno if that would work correctly or not.  I'll hafta see what I can come up with. 

IMG_20131124_164049_331_zpsb8c0cce3.jpg

I see what you mean. By loosening the clamp you could rotate the muffler back toward the engine which I thought would lower the opening some. It might not be enough. If the pipe were cut between the two elbow bends coming off the engine and a 1 inch (size?) nipple were put in with two clamps you could rotate it in the other direction (think from right to left looking at front of engine) which should lower it more. There might be hood clearance issues with the clamps though, but something to think about.

Edited by JimD

rmaynard

Jim, you are missing the point. Maybe I shouldn't have used lung cancer as an example, and I apologize. Some people are predisposed to get some ailments, where others are not. Some of us will lose our hearing and other won't. Just sayin'.

Edited by rmaynard

Road-Track

If you want to block out the noise of the engine (white noise, repetitive like a lawn mower or jet engine) get some noise canceling head phones, like the ones people use on planes.

You can still hear conversions, but not the repetitive background noise.

Also as you age everyone loses range in their hearing. I have seen tests where of a group of random people of all ages and lined them up by what frequencies they could hear. Then they asked their age. The line went from youngest to oldest.

What can I say, works for me.

JimD

Sorry Bob, I thought I had the point, that being the problem with the muffler needing to be redirected. I was trying to stay on topic and offer some suggestions. Just sayin'.

Edited by JimD

Chat6155

Just my 2 cents, but it appears the exhaust outlet from the muffler is close to the grass screen / flywheel blower intake.   That may allow the exhaust fumes to be drawn in to the cooling tin, and forced out over the cooling fins of the engine, spreading them out over a wider area as they leave the right side of the engine.   Maybe a different arrangement / setup might work?   I've read on here that some use the stainless hand rails used in bathrooms for the elderly.

56flatbed

cjsdad,  I had the same muffler on my C-141 until it finally burned/rusted through and melted the air filter element.  It had also melted the headlight wiring sometime in the past.  I tried the stack type muffler, twice.  Too many problems with vibration breaking welds, and low hanging branches. 

I ended up using an Arnold #35-006 muffler (cheap and available everywhere) and some 1" pipe.

Remove your old muffler and unthread the pipe from the engine.   I used a 3" long pipe on the engine, to a 45* elbow, a 2" section of pipe and then the muffler.  Use anti-seize on all the threads.   The muffler ends up being straight out from the engine and clears the hood.  All for less than $13.00.

Wally

post-8078-0-53761500-1385945537_thumb.jp

post-8078-0-14774600-1385945544_thumb.jp

Knucklebuster61

cjsdad,  I had the same muffler on my C-141 until it finally burned/rusted through and melted the air filter element.  It had also melted the headlight wiring sometime in the past.  I tried the stack type muffler, twice.  Too many problems with vibration breaking welds, and low hanging branches. 

I ended up using an Arnold #35-006 muffler (cheap and available everywhere) and some 1" pipe.

Remove your old muffler and unthread the pipe from the engine.   I used a 3" long pipe on the engine, to a 45* elbow, a 2" section of pipe and then the muffler.  Use anti-seize on all the threads.   The muffler ends up being straight out from the engine and clears the hood.  All for less than $13.00.

Wally

Nice setup, Flatbed. I wonder what the noise factor is? I have the same exact setup as the original poster and think (personally) that this has gone a bit far. I have NO ISSUES with my exhaust and tend to think that it all goes back to tuning your engine/carb setup (maybe). As I stated previously, I think my factory muffler is on its way out due to rattling noises I hear when running my C-125 and cannot pinpoint nor find anything loose. I believe my sounds are coming from inside the muffler. Don't really want to put a stack on so I think I may take your lead on mine. I still wish cjsdad the best of luck in solving his issue. Sucks when the machines get the best of us. Believe me; I know.

Knucklebuster61

How did you thread that muffler on, Flatbed? When I Google it, I find them on Amazon for 4 bucks. But it looks like they have a threaded pipe coming out of them and it looks like a lawn mower muffler; says it's for 4 to 8 HP engines. Looks like yours has an inside thread and you said you have a 1" pipe going into it. So I'm confused. As I said, my setup is the same as CJSDAD's. See Photo.

TractorReadyforWinter11-06-2013_zps668fd

Edited by Knucklebuster61

56flatbed

Knucklebuster, there is a 1" female pipe thread on the muffler.  The noise is much less than the stack I had on it, but louder than my sons 312-8.

Use hearing protection.

Wally