stevebo

1949 Chevy Pick Up... New Find

stevebo

I have been thinking about adding some sort of old garage/farm truck custom door decal PRIOR to clear coating the truck. I know the first thought is to have Terry come up with a "stevebo's garage" or "horse hauler" or something like that. I am not saying that I am against that but wondering what you guys think would look good? I want something that does not stick out too much but something cool. I would like to incorporate the following themes....

Wheel Horse

Kansas

USA

Stevebo's Garage/Horse Hauler

Any suggestions?

post-734-0-60485000-1388717234_thumb.jpg

Ken B

Sounds like a real nice idea but I wouldn't go decal. Find a guy that can brush paint it with an aged and scuffed up look. IMO that would look more period correct.

I don't know if you remember the A.M. Rizzo Electric company trucks... Way back in the 80's I worked there and they had an old timer that owned his own lettering business that did all of their trucks with brush by hand, it looked totally awesome..

grnlark

Just my opinion - I wouldn't clear anything in. You might get tired of the logo and once its on, thats it - especially if its painted. You'll never be able to go back and replace that patina'd 65 year old red. Although, I like Kens idea and agree it would look better than vinyl, I would clear the truck and make a vinyl decal that looks aged. I create effects like that all the time for work. The only way you'd be able to tell is like a foot or two away from the truck.

AMC RULES

Ken's idea rocks...seems something like the Sanford and Sons logo might be fitting.

:scared-eek:  "Weezie...I'm having the big one over here."    :ychain:​ 

post-3498-0-54028600-1388756030.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES

grnlark

Now THATS a cool idea Craig! I could see painting the Sanford & Son logo on it. That would be a timeless classic. People would be laughing and smiling everywhere you go - even people that don't get the whole "patina" look.  

Edited by grnlark
  • Like 1

posifour11

Stevebo's wheel horse ranch? Great bend, ks

AMC RULES

I'm just sayin'...      :hilarious:

if you've ever seen Steve at a swap meet?   

• Like 2

stevebo

Come on Craig !! LOL

• Like 1

AMC RULES

LOL!

You know I'm just...  :ychain: 

stevebo

Plus Lamont drove a FORD .....

VinsRJ

I personally would just leave it alone... door art is the "In" thing... another words if it wasn't there originally than its not the way is should be.

Nice clean original old truck... says alot more, IMO.

• Like 2

jimt1971

Stevebo and Son on the door I can see it now.

• Like 1

stevebo

I am kinda leaning towards what Vin is suggesting. I may put a small decal or something like it on the rear tailgate?

flyovrcntry

You know they use to put the words "Not For Hire" on the door of pick up's at that time.I don't know why but most people did it

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:   Find a logo or clipart that you like, customize it to fit your needs, print it, rough it up with a scotchbrite until it has the look you like, decoupage it onto the door and clear it over. May want to do a practice run on a scrap piece first!   :text-goodpost: 

AMC RULES

Maybe Terry could work up your design...

then, have him put it on a magnet that can be removed. 

JimD

Careful with the magnet approach. If left on out in the elements for a long period of time they can become almost welded to the vehicle. I had magnetic signs on my contractor van for a long while and when I tried to remove them to put them on the new van I nearly destroyed them while removing them. I found a lot of rust under where they were. If you go with them you need to remove them periodically and clean the surface again then replace them.

squonk

Plus Lamont drove a FORD .....

Lamont??? Heck you're Fred. all you need is the sweater!  :)  :ychain:  Next thing will be a big trailer. Put an RJ in the back of the 49 and haul the whole kitten kaboodle to the show.

stevebo

No pics for this update however on Sunday I got the call that the motor I am buying (1956 235ci) was pulled out of the car and ready to be picked up. I was able to get it cleaned up with the pressure washer today. I have new gaskets for the valve cover, oil pan and side plate otw along with other goodies... I was able to get three of the 4 rims painted too. The 4th wheel still needs repair or replacement. My neighbor offered me his spare rim/tire from his 1956 as he plans on changing his wheels. Once I get the new tires mounted up I can get the truck out of the garage and get the engine in so I can get it ready to install.

@KenB ..... you around on Sunday or one night this week to check out the tranny set up and give me some advise??

stevebo

Got three of the rims painted and tires mounted. I still need to replace the 4th rim. Here is a picture of the tire mounted on the truck.

post-734-0-18267000-1389148151_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

The rim/tire combo looks great, definitly old school classy!

Mike........

grnlark

Awesome!

stevebo

This past week I got some more done on the truck. I installed the gaskets on the oil pan, valve cover and side cover. Also installed new shorter water pump and thermostat. I clear coated and painted the parts. Instead of messing around with the tranny that came with the truck I bought a new/used one from the parts supplier along with new clutch and throw out bearing. I am pretty close to being ready to drop the new engine and tranny in soon.

post-734-0-55790800-1389566470_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-01115000-1389566490_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-24427400-1389566516_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

grnlark

And?

VinsRJ

Maybe not have enough used oil on hand to wipe her down...

Edited by VinsRJ