stevebo

1949 Chevy Pick Up... New Find

grnlark

I had to move one of the 35's to the barn and turn the other two sideways under the shelf but it made it. REAL tight. If all goes well this spring I may try and take the tractor shelves down and get the underside of the deck watertight and relocate the tractors out there or... get park "old red" under the deck? Not sure....

Plenty of garage space for that '56 here in Rocky Hill. Heck there's even a pile of money here too that will buy a lot of truck parts :)

stevebo

I had to move one of the 35's to the barn and turn the other two sideways under the shelf but it made it. REAL tight. If all goes well this spring I may try and take the tractor shelves down and get the underside of the deck watertight and relocate the tractors out there or... get park "old red" under the deck? Not sure....

Plenty of garage space for that '56 here in Rocky Hill. Heck there's even a pile of money here too that will buy a lot of truck parts :)

relentless !!

flyovrcntry

I had a 65 and a 64,the 64 was a 3/4 ton with 4 speed.They called it a 4 speed,but you really used 3 gears and they called it granny low.You could haul anything you could put in there.I bought some mermac rock for a driveway,it was all you could haul for a few bucks.The catch was you had to load it by hand.Well I was this young stud,so I loaded it to the top of the bed.I don't think she squatted an inch.I found out that this rock was not good for a sloped driveway.On a grade it was like marbles.I bet that guy laughed at me the whole time I was loading that.That truck was that ugly green color they had.Someone had scratched in the dash "the green diamond" lol,I left it like that

Ken B

Only one pile of money? Might need two piles for that one.... :ychain:

• Like 1

grnlark

Only one pile of money? Might need two piles for that one.... :ychain:

You know my motto - Go big or stay home! Lol

stevebo

Matt you are funny for sure about that tractor.

Got around to finishing the clear coating of the inside of the cab and finished painting the floor inside. Only thing left to paint inside is the doors and side kick panels which I could not do because I cannot open the doors fully in the tight garage space. I then started on the rear chassis but ran through the quart pretty quick. I sprayed it though a gun. I found a nice original set of firestone 6.70-15 with the wide 3 inch white walls. I am gonna try and pick those up tomorrow at some point. I think the wheels will be painted gloss black with the correct hubcaps.

post-734-0-41129700-1388446445_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-35097000-1388446465_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-62423200-1388446481_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

stevebo

I was able to pick up these original Firestone bias ply wide white wall tires today. I was also able to finish up painting the rear chassis. Here are a few pics.

post-734-0-82838500-1388528353_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-90991700-1388528371_thumb.jpg

AMC RULES

I've got an NOS set of Goodyear Polyglas bias plys tires, that came as original equipment on the Javelin.

Be aware, bias ply tires can be a handful to control if you're not careful...

are you going to add seatbelts to that truck Steve?   

stevebo

I plan on installing seat belts and not cracking 55mph- lol ! This one will not be a hot rod so I am sure that the bias ply tires will be fine.

AMC RULES

Imagine seeing that going down the road with an RJ in the bed...

and the Senior in tow...what an awesome sight to behold.   :bow-blue:

stevebo

Craig

That is the plan for the Kent show next year (hopefully)... Happy New Year All !!

AMC RULES

The Kent show is exactly what I had in mind Steve...

now there's something to look forward to.    :text-happynewyear:

Ken B

Dang Steve you have been burning the mid night oil! I bet you have even worked on it some with your PJ's on, and I bet Brennan was right there beside you. I'm gonna have to get up to the Ponderosa real soon to help some on Old Red.

It really is amazing that the frame on a 49 Chevy Pickup is in such nice shape, although it really doesn't surprise me. The truck frames they are puttin out nowadays are half as thick and either rust out or split in half, usually within 10 yrs...

I remember last yr. at Kent when were were sittin around the campfire and that guy rolled in with that sweet old Chevy pickup.. You said, " I want one of them...." Nice.

Once the truck is done you'll have to build a vintage lookin trailer to match!! :)

tbbahner

Nice, a new adventure! Last tagged in Kansas even!

Have fun with it.

Tom B

grnlark

Ahhhhhhhhh....skinny bias plys. Hold on tight. :)

I have wide white bias plys on my '55. The best is when it sits parked for the winter and you first take it out in the spring with the flat spots. Thump, Thump, Thump

AMC RULES

I've seen tire cradles that you drive the tires onto, that claim to eliminate flat spots caused by long term storage. 

I've read that flat spots happen, have yet to experience the condition first hand though.   :confusion-shrug:

stevebo

Sitting when?? This is no show truck.... she will be driven year round ! lol.

@Ken- I will take you up on that offer to help with "old red" when the time comes to mount up the tranny to the 235. I need someone with tranny experience to help me understand what should be replaced and what is good....

VinsRJ

Not in the snow and ice with bias plys, LOL!

Looking good Steve.... what about the Chevelle?

Edited by VinsRJ

grnlark

Craig, its actually pretty funny. The first year I had the car I was like " what the...?" I was thumping down the street. Once you go around the block one time they are fine and smooth right back out. I have the repro Coker Classic bias plys on it now. They still flatten out a little but not nearly as bad as the originals that were on it when I bought the car.

Steve, I was going to say the same thing my brother did - those tires are going to get rock solid in cold weather. It'll be like driving on banana skins.

Truck looks just great BTW!!

truckin88

You are putting a ford engine in it then?

• Like 1

JimD

:ROTF: :ROTF: You guys are too funny. :popcorn::thumbs:

stevebo

@Vin-

Chevelle is on perm. hold and is basically yeard art and a house for all the mice in the general area....

@Will-

really ?????? If big Jim were here he would be right with you however right before he passed he actually made a better choice and went out and leased a new Chevy 1/2 ton (too little too late though).

I hear you all on the bias ply tires. I just had the old tires taken off the rims this morning and plan on painting them up and throwing the new tires on son. I kinda like the look of gloss black stock steel rims with the wide white walls and maybe some chrome lig nuts (like a pic that Matt texted me of his neighbor's old truck). One rim needs some minor welding repair as it was dragged on a flat tire and the edge is shaved some.

jimt1971

I had bias ply tires on my 64 Impala for one 220 mile round trip. The next week radials were on it.

grnlark

I love the stamp steelies with wide whites and chrome lugs. I think it looks great. I was going to post that pic, but for some reason I'm unable to post pics.....? No idea why. This site seems to have a black cloud when it comes to posting pics.

stevebo

Today with the snow falling I was able to get some more done on the truck. Had to have my neighbor help me as putting in the windows is a complete NIGHTMARE !!!! The first picture will show you how I made out on the back window....

post-734-0-00638500-1388708768_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-71367500-1388708797_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-80768900-1388708831_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-94995200-1388708852_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-65216800-1388708885_thumb.jpg

• Like 1