JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

APPROX. VALUE of a 416-8 ?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I need to ask you fellas about the value of a 416-8 tractor i want to look at.  This tractor is for sale in nj, second owner, tractor was disassembled sandblasted then a pro paint job. NEW starter, battery, tires, tailights, fuel lines, fuel guage, belts and muffler. i am not sure of the hours or motor work, if any was done, I dont think so. it comes with a 42 inch deck and snow blower attachment. those items were not touched. I know the engine is the Kohler 16 magnum. the pictures look sweet but i have not seen it in person yet and the gentleman wants $ 1500.  firm. Being as i am new to getting a wheel horse and dont know a darn thing about them, do you think the price is fair? any guidence to me on what to ask or look out for. just trying, with your help, to be a wise consumer.

thanks guys, Glenn

Sparky

Any pics of the tractor or the attachmnets? Its tough to give a value on something we cant see. A magnum powered 416 was made in 1987 and 1989 only. If its a tall chute blower its worth more than a short chute. Was the deck ever welded up? Are the spindles quiet?

If everything is in good working order and it all looks good its probably a fair price. Maybe on the high side a bit but you get what you pay for. If you find a cheaper machine it wont have two attachments, wont have a new drive belt, wont have new paint, etc...

Mike..........

boovuc

The tractor, if it has the original engine in it, was made for two years, 1987 and 1988. (Only years for Kohler Magnums between the K series and the Onans).

It would greatly depend on the hours and condition of the deck and snowblower and if the snowblower is a high-shute. I question a new muffler as they are hard to find and sanding and paint can make an old muffler new again except for the noise! (My opinion)

The fuel gauge is a replacement of the gas cap with the built in fuel gauge.

The gentleman may need 1500 to get what he has in it and the 16 horse Kohlers are popular. A down to the frame restore and good paint job isn't cheap and it's time consuming. It all comes down to what you can afford and how much you really want it. Notice I said want it. Not "need" it!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

thanks Mike, of all places i spotted it on ebay. its got about ten hours left to go on auction. he hast about ten fairly high res pics. if you check it out please let me know your thoughts, re snow blower, short chute. thanks again,

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

The tractor, if it has the original engine in it, was made for two years, 1987 and 1988. (Only years for Kohler Magnums between the K series and the Onans).

It would greatly depend on the hours and condition of the deck and snowblower and if the snowblower is a high-shute. I question a new muffler as they are hard to find and sanding and paint can make an old muffler new again except for the noise! (My opinion)

The fuel gauge is a replacement of the gas cap with the built in fuel gauge.

The gentleman may need 1500 to get what he has in it and the 16 horse Kohlers are popular. A down to the frame restore and good paint job isn't cheap and it's time consuming. It all comes down to what you can afford and how much you really want it. Notice I said want it. Not "need" it!

OMG,,LOL. great point. when i was into classic cars for years, they were a labor of love and fun. come sales time your rarely ever made a buck or broke even. and  i got your point on want not need. thanks for the reply also.

Glenn

JackC

Pictures would help to see if all the correct decals were used.  

Not something I would buy but not unreasonable if it is something you want and a quality restore was done.

The same tractor unrestored but still in good condition would go for about $600. 

A nice low hour 520H in good condition would go for about $1,500 and they are very nice and a lot more tractor for the money.  jmho

JackC

I see it on eBay.  The blower is the short shoot not the better tall shoot.

It does look like a very nice restore.

The muffler has the brackets to take the chrome heat shield overlay if one wanted to jazz it up a bit.

No one has bid on it so the owner may take less.

It has to be a model you want.  For the same money, I would look for a 520H.

Ken B

I'd go for the 416 over a 520, I've owned both and I can get the same amount of work out of a 416 that I can get out of a 520, without all of the Onan issues. I don't think his price is too bad either. It does appear to be real nice and it looks like he went completely thru it. He no doubt spent some money along the way whipping her into shape. He probably has at least 300 just in tires. If you are just starting out in Wheel Horse's and tractors this is a much better choice than a 520 IMHO. 520's are good but quite a bit more maintenance and Onan parts aren't cheap.

• Like 1

kaiser

if it were me i'd buy it. thats the tractor i really wanted but couldn't find one last year. i ended up getting something very close (84 gt1600), that i paid 1k for, semi restored.

i know i paid too much, but it was as close to my goal as i could find.

value in my opinion is a personal thing. what's it worth to you is the question.

Edited by kaiser

546cowboy

I see you didn't buy it and the owner has relisted it for $1400 now. Looks good and does need a seat. I haven't had much experience with Magnums. I've only had two out of the 40 or so W/H's I've had. Contrary to what was said above about 520's, I would be looking for one.

Since you are new to Wheel Horse you may want to look for a C-160 or any C series. Those Kohler K-series are almost indestructible. This isn't the time of year to be looking for a snow blower though but if you need one you don't have much choice.

flyovrcntry

I heard someone say one time "I'ts worth what someone will pay". I think that's about as close an answer as you can get . Myself I wouldn't pay 1000. for that tractor,that's because I look for the diamond in the rough and I really like taking something someone has gave up on and make a good tractor out of it.It makes my day to hear an engine purr after someone has gave up on it.

And besides,i'm just a cheap b*****d. :deadhorse:

Wishin4a416

It has been on there for awhile mow. It was started at 1900 I believe.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

It has been on there for awhile mow. It was started at 1900 I believe.

thanks for that, either no one looked or somethings up, imho

thanks for the replies, i have it on my radar. also going to look at a D 200.

608KEB

He started at $2200.00 for the 416-8 about 6 weeks ago. You should find out how many hours it has.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I see you didn't buy it and the owner has relisted it for $1400 now. Looks good and does need a seat. I haven't had much experience with Magnums. I've only had two out of the 40 or so W/H's I've had. Contrary to what was said above about 520's, I would be looking for one.Since you are new to Wheel Horse you may want to look for a C-160 or any C series. Those Kohler K-series are almost indestructible. This isn't the time of year to be looking for a snow blower though but if you need one you don't have much choice.

You mean IT WAS re listed for 1400 bucks,,,,,,he took that listing down. Now it seems re listed for 2000 dollars.

Wishin4a416

I see you didn't buy it and the owner has relisted it for $1400 now. Looks good and does need a seat. I haven't had much experience with Magnums. I've only had two out of the 40 or so W/H's I've had. Contrary to what was said above about 520's, I would be looking for one.Since you are new to Wheel Horse you may want to look for a C-160 or any C series. Those Kohler K-series are almost indestructible. This isn't the time of year to be looking for a snow blower though but if you need one you don't have much choice.

You mean IT WAS re listed for 1400 bucks,,,,,,he took that listing down. Now it seems re listed for 2000 dollars.

It was relisted at 1400. Yes. I would want to know more about the engine too.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Just a FWIW, I have a walk behind snowblower and a plow on my wrangler for my driveway, its 500 ft. long.

Just wanted to let you know that's what's not driving my search. And thanks for your reply.

Glenn

Tankman

$1500 might not be too bad 'pending the condition of the drive train.

I restored an '85 416-8, would have to think (mostly negative) 'bout selling for any price. OK but, I do have

WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction).

The '85 416-8 workin' my drive with Grandson "pretending" for the photo.

post-8021-0-19030600-1385247874.jpg

Wheel-N-It

I'm not sure i would sell my old 416 for $1500 if someone put the money in my hand.

To speak on Kohler powered WH's only, I would say the Kohler 16hp single cylinder 8speeds are a must have for any Wheel Horse collector who works their equipment.

So the point I am trying to make is to me, $1500 is not bad to invest in a 416-8 that has been sandblasted and nicely painted with new decals. Of ourse along with that, the engine should be quiet, have a tight carburator shaft, good compression, and start easy. Also it should have a excellant mower deck (48" SD preffered), and another attachment or two.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

re the 416-8.  the seller took a tentative offer. he is second owner, but he is not sure of hours and such. the tractor looks GREAT, but i dont want to purchase a paintnjob, i need something to work. i have been doing my home work and i think right now i would prefer a twin cylinder over a single, subjetc to change on that idea.

he said he would keep me posted re sale. i like it has deck and blower.

i found another with a cast iron kohler single,,,,,760 hours on it.

back to looking, thanks guys for the comments.

does anyone prefer a twin vs. a single?

Glenn

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

i forgot, the one with 760 hours only has deck, 48 inch and plow blade.  1350 firm on price. ??????

Glenn

dcrage

Glenn

There are plenty of people on this forum who will say the those large single cylinder K-series Kohlers are some of the best engines ever put into Wheel Horses -- I have no experience with them; I do have 20+ years experience with a single cylinder Magnum (310-8) that has done everything I have ever asked it to

23 Reo

Go for a K-series 16 hp Kohler. They run strong and are reliable. My tractors all have origional paint and some have old dents but are tight and run well, just like me.

Dave

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

well fellas, after a few weeks looking and knowing now a bit about these tractors, i am sorry as heck i missed my opportunity to get the 416-8 that was redone and for sale on ebay. it had just what i wasnted, the cutting deck and the snow blower attachment. i should have jumoed on it, but i was / still am a novice. thanks for all your replies and knowledge, so the hune continues.

darn it, missed a good one.