jay1

B80---rear wheel off.

jay1

The rear wheel of my B80 fell off.  In the 35 years that I had the tractor, I do not remember removing the rear wheel.

It looks like all I have to do is jack up the tractor, slide the wheel back onto the axle and tighten the bolt into the axle grove. 

Is it as simple as that, or am I missing something.  I am assuming the bolt just came loose over time OR the tip wore down over time, but a close look at the tip of the bolt (the section that goes into the axle grove) shows that it appears to be okay.

fourwheels0

make sure both the hub and key way slot are not wallowed out.

if they are then you'll have issues again.

jay1

By wallowed out, I am assuming you mean that the axle and the hub are a tight fit-----is that correct?  

If there is too much play between the two, for example if the hub is worn down, I need to get a new hub---is that what you are referring too as the next possible step?

rmaynard

If the key slots in the hubs and axles are okay, get new keys and new set screws. Tighten to the correct torque and you should be good. If you need to replace the hubs, try to find newer ones with two set screws. Newer hubs were supplied with a second set screw or bolt hole drilled 90 degrees from the first. The combination of the two set screws generally kept the hubs from moving.

Interesting that they fell off. When my hubs come loose, they generally slip in toward the transmission.

KC9KAS

And some guys can't get the hubs off the axle!

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I hate taking hubs off axles - it seems either way I cant win.

If the hub is tight it will be a ***** to get off - but the upside is that the axle is probably not worn, the bore in the hub is probably not wallowed out, and the keyways are probably good.  The downside is that the hub will be a ***** to get off.

If the hub is loose it'll come off easy.  - but the downside is that there is a good possibility that the bore in the hub is wallowed out, the end of the axle is worn, or maybe the keyways are worn.

The only time I seem to win is when the hub is still a good fit on the axle, but the axle seal has been leaking for long enough to weep some oil into the joint - the hub comes off relatively easily and the bits aren't all worn out!

Edited by sorekiwi
  • Like 1

jay1

Checked today the channel in the wheel hub, no keys.  Looked around the lawn, and cannot find them.

Are there one or two keys.  Based on looking at some sites on the internet, someone said that it takes two keys, one #9 woodruff on the inside, and a #15 on the outside.   But I am not sure if that is correct.

Looked at a diagram and it appeared to me it only has one #9 key, but I may be reading it incorrectly.

The diagram was for 5091 Transmission which I think is listed for my tractor (B80 1976, 8 speed).

Also, can any tell me how the keys (1 or 2) are placed.  Is it immediately under the set screw in the channel, OR is it that one goes on each side of the set screw.  I never saw how it looked originally, and searched forever on the net but could not find a diagram .

I appreciate all you assistance.

Maynard:--in regard to the torque, I sound a reference that said 40 pounds on the nut and 28 - 32 on the set screw.  Do I need a special torque wrench for this, or will the regular torque wrench that is used on cars work,

sorekiwi

Just one key, half moon shaped that should stay in the axle when the hub is slid off.  The setscrew in the hub should bear in the center point of the top of the key to prevent it from rocking in its groove.

A normal torque wrench would work on the setscrew and jam-nut, If you have a socket to suit the square head on the setscrew.  Personally I never torque either, I just do them up tight.

jay1

Mike,

Thank you for the input.  I am going to get a new set screw and new key #9 tomorrow, and look carefully if the old key sheared off

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: Jay if on the Axel where key rides if this worn out or broke of on one side I have used J.B. weld in this case to rebuild that area with good results. You might have to do some sanding to slide hub on. But leave enough on to let the hub make the final cut. for a nice round finish.  Gary   B................

Save Old Iron

Mike,

Thank you for the input.  I am going to get a new set screw and new key #9 tomorrow, and look carefully if the old key sheared off

Jay,

for some reason a #15 Woodruff key comes to mind as being the correct size. Check the length-wise dimensions of the slot. The key is a semi-circle and fills the slot width and length.

gwest_ca

This should be the transmission parts list for a 1976 B-80 8-speed

but the axle keys are listed with the hub on the tires and wheels page of the tractor parts list.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro&mn=61-08K803

Found in my notes that the 937108 key is a #22 Woodruff  1/4" x 1-3/8"

Garry

jay1

After 3 hours of running around to a few different places, I was able to confirm that none of the standard keys in stock at any store, match with the B80.  All of the stock keys are not long enough and are at least 3/16 inch short in height.

Gary--you are correct---one dealer looked it up and confirmed that the key number is as you indicate, 937108.  The key #9 is much too small, and the key #15 does not have the length or height.

I got to fine someone who stocks the key# 937108.

Also while out, I figured I would pick up transmission fluid.  The B80 book calls for SAE 140 GL-5.  One of the WH dealers said that is now 90-140 which he does not carry.   Got my local auto store looking into ordering 90-140 for me.  First time in 35 years that the transmission requires fluid.  Not a bad usage record--can anyone beat that.

Edited by jay1

Kelly

If your having issues with finding a key send me a PM I bought 100 of them a year ago. 

• Like 1

jay1

Thanks Kelly, thank you everyone for your assistance.

Just ordered it on line, $8 for two--after calling additional places that did not stock it..  Should have it in a few days.

It is the Woodruff #22 (937108).  That measures exactly the size I have.

groundhog47

And some guys can't get the hubs off the axle!

A big yes there!!!

rmaynard

Walmart stocks an 85/140 GL5 which is just fine for the B80,

groundhog47

When my hubs come loose, they generally slip in toward the transmission.

On my C-120 they drift inward also and am assuming that is why the project transmission am working on is that way also!

jay1

When my hubs come loose, they generally slip in toward the transmission.

On my C-120 they drift inward also and am assuming that is why the project transmission am working on is that way also!

You are the second person who has told me that .  Perhaps the reason why it fell off of the axle was that I was backing-up at the time.  Not sure it that has anything to do with it.

jay1

Kelley

Thank you....got the keys today.

Got my work cut out for me this weekend, but snow for tomorrow--maybe it will be just a dusting so I do not need the snow blower.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

jay1

UPDATE

Thanks to everyones input regarding Woodruff Key for rear wheel (B80-1976).  Now, six months later---the new key fixed the problem.  Kelly, thank you for your help.

Jay.