leeave96

Hp vs 8 pinion & 1-1/8 Axle Tranny Questions

leeave96

Note:  I posted this in the tranny section of the forum, but thought I'd post it here too (hope that is OK by the moderators - if not please delete for me) thinking you folks with the pullers would encounter higher hp engines coupled with the stock 8 pinion & 1-1/8 inch axle transmissions.

Here is my post - thanks!

I know I've read this somewhere, probably from one of my past posts...  ;)

But...

The Wheelhorse 520H and 520-8 maxes out on HP at 20, but is there a published limit to input HP on these tractor trannys, i.e. 21, 25 or something else?

At what HP input does something break every time and what part is it?

Also, is the belt even strong/tight enough to transfer enough HP to break anything in the tranny before slipping?

Thanks!
Bill 

Deere Hunter

Never had an issue with running 50-60hp with an ungoverned Kohler Command. Tractor was setup with pro pulling tires and would turn 7500 RPM. Of course I went thru the trans and replaced any gears that showed wear and installed new bearings. Used the loader axles with 8 pinion rear. Never had anything break in the trans, only issues I had was breaking the stock WH hubs. With the right belt setup it would snuff the engine on a bitey track without slipping the belt.

With that being said I would never try to put that type of power thru a worn trans that had a lot of years on it. Just asking for trouble then.

pstlouis

I'm putting roughly 40hp through mine, and it is all holding well. As far as the drive belt goes, try a stiffer spring on the clutch. It will make for a harder clutch pedal, but it will help a little.