bowtiebutler956

A Gift From A Dear Friend

953 nut

:woohoo:   Fantastic job, I know Gary is looking down with a smile on his face.  :text-bravo: 

:text-goodpost: 

:text-coolphotos: 

• Like 1

Martin

looks good matt, looking at the thickness of that deck shell, that thing must be a real back breaker.......

makes it easy to lay some decent welds on there though, definitely beats welding up rusted out tissue paper for steel.......

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

:woohoo:   Fantastic job, I know Gary is looking down with a smile on his face.  :text-bravo: 

:text-goodpost: 

:text-coolphotos: 

Thanks, and I feel the same way! :thumbs:

looks good matt, looking at the thickness of that deck shell, that thing must be a real back breaker.......

makes it easy to lay some decent welds on there though, definitely beats welding up rusted out tissue paper for steel.......

This deck is definitely a very beefy one, which does make it nice for repairs. Even though it won't be perfect cosmetically, it should be a very solid, and mechanically sound deck for years to come. :thumbs: 

Matt :flags-texas:  

Anglo Traction

Great work and build Matt,

I like the look and design of the Case Models. They must be rare in the UK, as I don't see any really.

Just wondering...how close is the Hydro pump body to the Inner Rear Rim?. Picture look's like it would be pretty close.

Never seen a Wrist Pin clip make a bit for freedom like that before.

I love the sound of my K301after a 20 thou shave and rebuild.

I bet that K301 will look a treat when you've finished with it, judging by your other Engine projects :bow-blue: .  

Love the work and colours. Look forward to seeing your next progress pics.

Regards

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Great work and build Matt,

I like the look and design of the Case Models. They must be rare in the UK, as I don't see any really.

Just wondering...how close is the Hydro pump body to the Inner Rear Rim?. Picture look's like it would be pretty close.

Never seen a Wrist Pin clip make a bit for freedom like that before.

I love the sound of my K301after a 20 thou shave and rebuild.

I bet that K301 will look a treat when you've finished with it, judging by your other Engine projects :bow-blue: .  

Love the work and colours. Look forward to seeing your next progress pics.

Regards

Thanks Richard, and although this Case turned out well, it doesn't look half as nice as some of your rebuilds! I've always thought your attention to detail is amazing!  :thumbs:  The hydraulic motor is only about 3/4 inch from the left side rear rim. These Case tractors are somewhat different, as they are a true hydraulic drive, with the pump being bolted directly to the engine, and driving the hydraulic motor on the rear end. Even Case tiller attachments, and such have hydraulic motors on them that are driven by the pump on the tractor.

The K301 did turn out well, and will look really nice once my engine decals come in from Terry (vinylguy).  Terry is a real stand up guy, as he contacted me, and offered to make the custom decals for this engine with all the correct numbers on them. Thanks Terry! :woohoo:

• Like 1

Ken B

That is a thing of beauty Matt. Can I ask a few questions about the tri ribs? Who did you order them from and what size are they? My 417 needs them bad. Thanks!

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

That is a thing of beauty Matt. Can I ask a few questions about the tri ribs? Who did you order them from and what size are they? My 417 needs them bad. Thanks!

Ken they came from Miller Tire, and they are a little pricey. They are 16x6.50-8 , and I needed this size because my front wheels were really wide, so I couldn't use the 4.00x8 tri ribs that I used on my C-160, and B-80  :wh:'s. My wife got me these for Christmas, otherwise I probabally wouldn't have spent the money. They are very nice tires, and are Firestone brand. Here is a link to them. :thumbs:

http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/16x6-50-8/16x6-50-8-firestone-3-rib-front-4-ply/

If you can get buy with the skinny ones, you can have a pair of them for the price of one of these. Here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330860310370?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

bowtiebutler956

I managed to find some time to build a new rear discharge extension today, as the original was missing. It should work well, and is far stronger than the original. I still have a little grinding to do on the underside, but other than that, its complete. Thanks

post-6076-0-65548700-1387408102_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-65128600-1387408119_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-36956200-1387408137_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-00115100-1387408151_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-30180100-1387408169_thumb.jp

• Like 1

posifour11

I'll say it again. Very nice work.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

You are a man on a mission.

Go Matt Go!    :text-woo:

• Like 2

RMCIII

My GT is next in line for you to refurbish. :laughing-rofl:  So,,,, I am thinking you may have found your calling.. :eusa-think: every thought about opening up a body shop for tractors of all sorts? Serious,,, very nice work. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I'll say it again. Very nice work.

Thank you, I appreciate the encouragement! :thumbs:

You are a man on a mission.

Go Matt Go!    :text-woo:

Thanks Craig. You know how it is when your really enjoying a project. You just can't stop till its finished. :thumbs:

My GT is next in line for you to refurbish. :laughing-rofl:  So,,,, I am thinking you may have found your calling.. :eusa-think: every thought about opening up a body shop for tractors of all sorts? Serious,,, very nice work. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks, and although I have found I can do body work when necessary, I don't like it!  :ROTF:  For me, body work is a real "labor of love", so long as I love what I'm working on, I can do it. You couldn't pay me enough to do it for a living!!!  :scared-eek:  Thanks for the kind words. :thumbs:

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Well, I finally got around to getting the deck painted, and it didn't turn out to bad. It has rust pits in it, but most of them are under the deck, or under the belt guard where people can't see. :ROTF: Its far from perfect, but it will be just fine for a deck that will be used occasionally. I painted the mule drive as well, and installed the "Gary's Case" decals on the front of it. The deck will look better once I install the decals on it. My friend mailed the spindles, and they're scheduled for delivery this Tuesday, but we're going out of town to spend Christmas with my wife's family, so it will be awhile before assembly. Thats ok, it will give the paint plenty of time to harden. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-94369000-1387747242_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-05917700-1387747261_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-71152900-1387747281_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-28097200-1387747307_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-62276000-1387747325_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-81282900-1387747345_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-78305100-1387747361_thumb.jp

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

I have to give a special thanks to Terry (vinylguy) for the custom engine decals he sent me. They're absolutely beautiful!!!! Thanks Terry!!

post-6076-0-24507000-1387845791_thumb.jp

RMCIII

LOOKING GOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!!

• Like 1

JC 1965

That tractor looks fantastic, I'm sure your friend is very proud and smiling from ear to ear.       :thumbs2:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Thanks for the encouraging posts!  :thumbs:

The spindles my friend sent came in, and got them rebuilt in short order, so that I could assemble the deck. I really love that these spindles can be greased! :woohoo:  Still waiting on a couple small things to come in before I can mount the deck, but it will be mowing soon. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-69560800-1388274686_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-95551700-1388274706_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-24937900-1388274719_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-20636800-1388274731_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-45919100-1388274754_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-00917300-1388274765_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-41773900-1388274775_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-49650700-1388274791_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Martin

looks real nice there, Matt........

• Like 1

RMCIII

really hate to over use a word... But damn, that is really, LOOKING GOOODDD!!! I would hate to see the quality of work you would produce if you put your heart into it and loved doing it!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:  :eusa-clap:  :bow-yellow:

Scratch that... Would "love" to see the quality of work. LOL..

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looking great!

• Like 1

eb in oregon

Being able to grease a bearing is good, but I'm curious. If those bearings are sealed bearings (and they appear to be) all that grease will do is keep the inside of the spindle free from moisture. If the inner sideof the bearing is exposed, that's a whole different game, but I've never seen one like that. And one can pump it only so full before blowing in the inner seal of the bearing. With that set up, you only have to put in grease during assembly. After the bearing has a life of it's own.

Like I said, just curious.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Being able to grease a bearing is good, but I'm curious. If those bearings are sealed bearings (and they appear to be) all that grease will do is keep the inside of the spindle free from moisture. If the inner sideof the bearing is exposed, that's a whole different game, but I've never seen one like that. And one can pump it only so full before blowing in the inner seal of the bearing. With that set up, you only have to put in grease during assembly. After the bearing has a life of it's own.

Like I said, just curious.

No, they're not exposed on the back side. These are a very different looking bearing, but they're the correct bearing for this application. I guess that I assume they will allow grease in, since the factory set them up this way, grease fittings and all. I don't know why they would install grease fittings, if they weren't going to do you any good.  :dunno:

roscoemi

The plastic seals on bearings can be removed to make them greasable from one side or the other, or both.

eb in oregon

The plastic seals on bearings can be removed to make them greasable from one side or the other, or both.

That's true, but a sealed bearing comes with enough lubricant to last for it's conceivable life span. Why the factory installed grease fittings is anyone's guess, yet that feature allows one to install non-sealed bearings if that is all available. And when it comes to ball bearings; as long as it is the same ID, the same OD, and the same width, the machinery doesn't care what kind of bearing it is.

As for the greasing, a sealed bearing has lubrication in a "sealed" environment and is protected against the intrusion of foreign particles. Nothing to gain or lose in lubrication because it is sealed, and no foreign particles can get in as long as the seals are not damaged. Dirt is what destroys bearings for the most part, or failure of the bearing balls. If dirt causes damage, or the balls fail, or the race fails, all the grease in the world won't make it any better.

My guess it that the cast iron spindles are an earlier design, they were made for unsealed bearings, and totally sealed bearings were installed later. When a factory is pumping out hundreds of items of product and it can save five cents per bearing, the factory will do so. The zerk is nice, but not that important. If one thinks about it one might realize that the pressure of the grease, on the inside, could have a single yet damaging consequence. As one end is solidly bolted to the deck, and the other bearing retained by the blade, the pressure of greasing the hub can (and will, I've seen the results of  it on another type of machine) collapse the bearing seals and force them into the balls, thus causing interference and eventual failure.

Edited by eb in oregon

bowtiebutler956

I finally got it put together today, and I'm happy with the end results. The only way I could be happier is if Gary was still hear to see it. The deck turned out great, and has no noises, except the rushing of air when engaged. I gave the Case a quick rinse off for some final beauty shots before getting worked for the first time tomorrow. I did make a couple passes through the grass after the pics today, and it mows well. I'm really looking forward to some seat time tomorrow. I'll try to get a video of it in action. :thumbs:

Oh, by the way, I did end up removing the inner seal on the bearings, as I prefer greasing them myself. 

I'll try to get some better pics of Terry's engine decals tomorrow. I took 3 separate pics of them today, but the decals are so shiny that none of the pics turned out. Its hard to get a good picture of those shiny chrome decals of Terry's without getting blinded! :ychain:  Nice work Terry!

post-6076-0-53579200-1388803825_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-73610200-1388803847_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-55531800-1388803866_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-65497500-1388803877_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-56838000-1388803890_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-78454800-1388803927_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-18647500-1388803940_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-39236200-1388803954_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-64693700-1388803972_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-50372300-1388803986_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-02478100-1388803998_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-57390500-1388804030_thumb.jp