mr_speegs

1967 876 Wheel-A-Matic 8HP Kohler won't start

mr_speegs

Whilst mowing, I began to lose power when opening the throttle or attempting to drive uphill. After disengaging the mower deck and limping back to the driveway, I raised the mower deck and the engine cut out altogether. The generator will turn all day long and I am getting fuel (at least my fuel line is full), but I can't get the engine to even attempt to cough. I checked the spark plug and air filter...no issues. Am I not getting compression? Cracked piston or ring? Please help with some ideas before I tear the engine apart!

Ed Kennell

If you have good fire at the spark plug and fuel in the carb, It will run with very little compression. Are you sure you are getting fuel through the carb ? Did you spray starter fluid in the carb, then crank ?

Ed Kennell

:WRS:     Excuse my poor manners. :rs:

squonk

I'm thinking the fuel pump is bad and once the fuel level in the tank dropped enough it stopped gravity feeding and now the carb bowl is empty

boovuc

I agree with squonk.

The K-181 doesn't need much compression at all to fire. Unless you have a catastrophic loss due to an open valve or a broken rod, I would look at making sure you have fuel being delivered.

Just for measure, take the plug out and make sure your piston is moving and it should make some compressing sounds when you turn it over with the plug out.

Also, if it was delivering fuel but not even so much as coughing, your plug should be wet. If that plug isn't wet with gasoline, your not getting fuel.

Good Luck and Welcome to Redsquare!

mr_speegs

I had a sinking feeling it was just an empty carb bowl. I'll dig into it this afternoon. Thanks everyone!

mr_speegs

Well, upon further inspection...

1. I am getting plenty of fuel to the carb.

2. I am getting compression out of the muffler.

3. The spark plug is dry.

4. The K-181 piston head is not visible through the spark plug hole.

Therefore, I am thinking I have an intake valve stuck shut and exhaust valve stuck open. Being a small engine mechanical novice, is a valve job something I should attempt myself?

WH nut

You need to pull the head for a look see. Make sure the valve are opening and closing. Once you pull the head you will have a good idea whats going on.