leeave96

Yanking with the Wheelhorse

leeave96

So I've asked about how many hours you have on your WH, how much grass you mow, what gear you moldboard plow, etc., etc., - but.....

I've got a new question   :)

You got a log or something you need to pull with your Wheelhorse.  So you hook a chain to it, ease out, take the slack out of the chain and just when you thought you were going to drag that log to the other end of the yard, the tires spin - dang!

So you're short on time, you're maybe impatient, you figure - what the heck, I've got a Wheelhorse and you back up a few inches (some folks probably  back-up a foot or more), put the tractor in fwd gear, dump the clutch or peg the hydro lever and YANK the heck out of the log to get it moving.  Sometimes it takes a few tries, other times many tries; sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Probably this by definition is abuse!  However, I'd say all of us have done this a time or two - right?  But than again, this is a Wheelhorse!!!!!!

Question is - how much abrupt yanking abuse have you put your Wheelhorse through and the tranny hitch boss is still part of the tranny and life is good?

What were you pulling and with which tractor when you gave the object on the other end of the chain a yank with your Wheelhorse?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Bill

Wheel-N-It

Gosh Bill, I have not had to pull anything big with my Wheel Horses because I've always had a big tractor to do that kind of work for me.

I know this was of no help at all to you, but you know where I live and the kind of stuff I do around here. I didn't want you to think I was too lazy to answer your question. :text-imsorry: to not have something better to offer.

953 nut

Faced with that situatoin I just chain it to the three point hitch and lift it a little first, added traction and reduced friction.  :twocents-twocents: 

squonk

I've run across about a half doz. bent up hitches this past year probably because of that.

Wishin4a416

I have never had to do that. I have the bigger Tractors to do that Bull work but I must admit I have been hard on mine with the front end plow. Getting a run for high snow banks and frozen snow. But I really have tryed to refrain from that even in the last few years.

I would bet that I have cracks in my frame where the Tranny mounts.

gcole

Done it many times with my c-120. Never took a run at it just snug up and ease into it. Never had a problem. Pulled trees, hay wagons, heck even a 1973 ford 5000 farm tractor just to prove it could. Lol

KC9KAS

I have thought about this same question, and since, I have been a little more careful!

I would imagine that the cast iron would break sooner if it was really cold outside and you "yanked" on something really hard/heavy.

The 3ph sound like the way to drag something!

rmaynard

I have pulled small stumps and logs with the B-100. Sometimes it's a fun ride with the front axle coming off the ground, but 3rd gear seems to work best for me. Maybe I'm lucky, and I haven't broken anything yet (me or the tractor). I always have chains on the turfs, and an escape plan if things don't go well. :eek:  Years ago we were taking down trees and I had a rope tied about 40 feet up, with the other end hooked to the hitch. I thought I had enough rope to put me in the "safety zone", but I pulled the rope tight and kept pulling while the tree was coming down. The tree didn't go exactly where we had predicted, and I still have the dent in the fender pan to remind me that that was not a good thing to do. I believe there were a few "skid marks" elsewhere as well as I jumped from the seat while moving to exit stage left.

• Like 4

Don1977

I busted a needle bearing in my transmission pulling out some twelve foot tall trees.  It still worked after that but when turning right that bearing screamed. I pulled the transmission apart and replace the bearing.

Pickle
I have actually pulled 4 trees at one time to the burn pile area of the garden without a problem other than broken straps or rope, no tire spin from my 417A Edited by Pickle

RMCIII

That would be considered "animal abuse". Why beat a horse when you could borrow a Steiger..

Austin860

I've pulled 4 12 foot cedar logs behind my c100. That's without weights and chains, I've pulled my father 75 f100 out of a ditch with the wreights and chains on. Gotta love my horse. I'm sure the d180 will impress as well

boovuc

I drug 8 foot length oak logs out around my house and a past house with the C-175. Last month a wrapped a chain around the front loader and pulled backwards with the hydro. For one, you lift it off the ground and it reduces friction and two, other than the base of a few of the trees that did a teter-toter motion on the tractor, it could pull twice the weight of the C-175 with the chain attached to the rear hitch.

I tried never to do a running start on those logs unless I was in mud or loose stones and then it was a 1st gear, hi range tug.

dbartlett1958

Bill,

Don't use only chain. Get a piece of nylon rope which will give a little and should protect your tractor too.

Forest Road

Haven't had a problem pulling logs and large piles of brush. I always use snow chains and wheel weights. Typically lay a rope down and pile the brush on then use a clevis to cinch the rope around the bundle. I've pulled piles that probably would've filled my f150 in one shot. It's all about traction.

SousaKerry

I've done my share of yankin on the chain with the horse(puns intended.)  Surprised I have not broken anything yet but I would not be surprised to see a few cracks in the transmission frame when I finally tear down the C-175 to restore it.  Nothing a little weld can't fixed.