HorseFixer

Picked up this CLUNKER today

neil

So what is is story on where you found it Bob ?

Do you know any of her history?

HorseFixer

So what is is story on where you found it Bob ?

Do you know any of her history?

Neil I am not trying to blow any of you guys off on this. As I mentioned before there are some details that cant be revealed yet but there is a story and

I will reveal it here on this thread I would say no later that two months. Please be patient it will be worth the wait,  :thumbs:  Now help me with getting that

Rope pulley starter thingy off. Does it come off with wheel puller?   :confusion-shrug:   ~Duke

VinsRJ

I find this to be funny... 1) there must be a "story"... and 2) the "story" has some facet that's voodoo in nature...

Its a frigg'n tractor... not some military secret uncovered by the Soviets 

• Like 2

HorseFixer

You guy's tickle me!    :hilarious: I About Spilt whole cup "O" Coffee all over me :dance:   This is the  X FILES  the truth is out there!  Wheres Skully  :wicked:    when I need her?  :confusion-shrug:

fireman

If there is some possible other deals in the works, I don't blame you for not giving out any details until all is said and done. There are some, who if they get any kind of information "specially if it's something really good", will steal that "possible deal" out from under you in a heart beat friends or not!!!

I really want to know the story but more than willing to wait. Good Job Duke.

• Like 4

Lars

Awesome find Duke.. it's gona look really good whatever you do with it..

shorts

Bob:

great find. I like it a lot,  As for the great story behind the find, take your time and be sure to get all of the rest of the fine collectables before you disclose the source.

Check with Coker tire in TN I think they do a lot of reproduction tires for the car collectors, they may also be able to help find a source for your wheel/rim search.

It's been a long time since I've worked on a old Wisconsin but IIRC the crank runs in tapered roller bearings and the flywheel is on a taper fit to the crankshaft, I can't find my old Wisconsin manuals, but their is a threaded fastener/nut that retains the flywheel It could be the. rope sheave as it was part of the ratchet/ramp for the removable hand crank style of starter.

Snap a good closeup of the rope sheave and post it so we can see what you have, I'm thinking that a bearing separator type pullet in the rope groove might be the best way to pull the sheave without damaging that old cast iron.

PM sent

Edited by shorts
  • Like 1

CasualObserver

If there is some possible other deals in the works, I don't blame you for not giving out any details until all is said and done. There are some, who if they get any kind of information "specially if it's something really good", will steal that "possible deal" out from under you in a heart beat friends or not!!!

Sad... but oh, so true.

I 100% agree Jeff!

• Like 1

dovetail53

the rope pulley thingy you're in reference to, is threaded onto the end of the crank. normal, right handed threads. if you can see inside the screen, there is a hex head on the inner side of the winder, against the flywheel. DO NOT attempt to use a puller on it, for certain you'll break the flange on the rope winder. 

HorseFixer

Thanks Jeff :text-thankyouyellow:  And your right on. :handgestures-thumbupright:

AMC RULES

I can't believe that happens here. 

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Lots of good info, :handgestures-thumbupright:  As stated the Starter Pulley Thingy in itself is the flywheel nut and it screws off. after removing I then removed the hood. I put the pulley back on and turned the engine over by hand and heard a ticking sound about every revolution. I thought I should spray some AMSOIL fogging oil in the cylinder to lube the rings and cylinder wall so  tried to take the spark plug out to no avail. So I took the head off, and it had a lot of carbon so I brushed and cleaned the head and top of piston and valves. I could only turn the spark plug an 1/8th turn and it was very tight. So I heated up the head around the spark plug hole and then turned the head so inside of head was face up and sprayed the sea foam in there in hopes it would draw the oil in around the threads and loosen things up and I left it overnight. Well it worked cause this morning I put the head in the vise and turned the Plug out it was hard but it did come out. The threads are a little galled so I ran a wire tubing brush through the threads and lubed real good. I also wire wheeled the spark plug and then chased the threads with plug and if tightens right up.

On that ticking sound I called my pal SHORTS and asked him about that he said it was probably the External Ignition Impulse Thingy. Well sure enough the engine does have the external Wico Ignition and yep that were it. (Thanks Paul) :thumbs:  I looked this up on the internet and found this..  http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98291  I have since started putting back on the head and will try and start the ole girl and see if she perks. Ill give my report later. :tools-wrench:

~Duke

IMG_20131115_185047_308.jpg

IMG_20131115_185122_238.jpg

IMG_20131115_185055_170.jpg

IMG_20131115_185235_428.jpg

• Like 7

wh500special

Duke,

Nice progress.

Be sure to chock the tractor wheels before you start the engine. Even in neutral these things take off on their own when cold.

Steve

shorts

Duke;

Good deal on getting the sparkplug out without destroying the threads, if you have a thread chaser try gently running it down the threads. My experience tells me to use a drop of motor oil on the sparkplug threads as sometimes locktite will cause the threads to gall and be problematic on sparkplugs in aluminum heads.  I'm glad that your noise turned out to be the impulse spring in the magneto, most older hand crank industrial engines with magneto ignition have the impulse setup to snap the mag thru to get a hotter spark for easier starting.

fireman

Duke that ticking noise is the ignition. I suggest pulling off the ignition cover and running a piece of emery cloth between the points before you try to fire it up. I second what wh500special said about chocking the tires before you attempt to start it. Even in neutral that thing will want to take off like a bandit!!! I recommend making a "hook" to hold the clutch pedal down. If you do this she won't take off. If that engine hasn't run in a while, I suggest draining the oil and put some of your special AMSOIL in it. That engine has a oil pump in the sump and if it's clogged up, it won't pump any oil around. After you put your special fluid in, unhook the spark plug really crank the engine over a lot. I left mine in for a week and turned it over a bunch off times a day just to make sure. Between working on mine and SteveBo's Seniors I can help you out with some other tips if you want. You should still have my cell. I'll get back to you about that NOS engine. 

boovuc

“Yep 55 it is. Hey Boo, 10-dash 4 on the 2 year age thingy I'm gonna start calling you DAD as you are 9 months older than ME!â€

OK Son. By the way...you've been bad! Now hand over that tractor! You are Grounded!

• Like 1

HorseFixer

“Yep 55 it is. Hey Boo, 10-dash 4 on the 2 year age thingy I'm gonna start calling you DAD as you are 9 months older than ME!â€

OK Son. By the way...you've been bad! Now hand over that tractor! You are Grounded!

Dad I don't like what yer sayin there. Time to take you out behind the WOOD SHED and show you what Son's about!  :ychain:

AMC RULES

What ever you do...    :teasing-poke: 

don't let him put you over his knee. 

953 nut

:text-goodpost:   I asked Edward Snowden what the story was behind you buying this and he wouldn't even tell me, so I guess we will have to hold our horses for two months!  :text-lol:  :ROTF: 

• Like 1

HorseFixer

I took the Cyl head gasket and used my ole trick of painting the Cyl head gasket with Metallic Paint. I reassembled the head and air filter then decided to clean  up the tractor a bit. I guess MJ thinks my tractors SEXY but then she said its hers    :confusion-shrug:   And she took over, and rooted the Ole Duke out the way!  :jaw:   WTF hmmm I told her she will have no problem getting the tractor running on her own so this whole thing is up in the air!  :handgestures-thumbup: Ive heard of happy wife happy life, but this chit is ridiculous !

IMG_20131117_135616_357.jpg

IMG_20131117_163625_919.jpg

IMG_20131117_163631_163.jpg

• Like 4

flyovrcntry

If your real nice she might let you work on it for her.I can tell you what will make life a lot more pleasant for you.Just say OK :eusa-think:

roscoemi

Duke, jump tuck and roll! She will let you know when your needed!  :kbutt:

Buzz

Wheres Skully  :wicked:    when I need her?  :confusion-shrug:

I think MJ chased her off with a baseball bat while humming " you ain't woman enough to take my man" :baseball: