dsholler

Snow blade rear bracket question

dsholler

HI all,

Quick question.. .I am just about to put a snowblade on my 414 for the first time. I have the bracket that clamps under the transmission, but what I have are the two end pieces.. there was obviously once a rod that went between them to hold them at the proper distance.

Does this matter at all? Can I just put them on loosely, hook up the blade and the lift mechanism, center it as best I can and slide them as far outboard as they go? Or do they require something to maintain the spacing to keep things from coming loose and getting wiggly?

953 nut

Two of mine are as you stated and have worked fine for years. :woohoo: 

Sparky

Your method will work fine. I ran a plow like that for a few years with no problems, just make sure the axle brackets are nice and tight on the axle.

Mike......

dsholler

Well, I actyually tracked down a manual for this plow, and it has something in there about angle spacers... since I do not have them, I am going to assume I am fine without them.. anyone have an opinion?

Dan

KC9KAS

Once you determine the proper distance, weld a piece of steel (round or square stock) to the 2 pieces holding them at that distance.

dsholler

KC9KAS, you have given me very good advice, but it assumes I have both the equipment and the skill to actuall weld those things.  I am OK with the wrench, but it has been several decades since I attemtped to weld anything. :)

wallfish

That steel bar just spaces the brackets correctly for the plow frame and makes it easier.

It's possible to drill holes in each bracket and use threaded rod with nuts to hold the spacing if it's something you want to spend the time on.

Edited by wallfish

timo4352

I didn't have any angled spacer thingys for mine. I improvised using some door shims. (you can get them in plastic too)

I think they were needed there to account for the axle tubes not being parallel.

I think it shows in my pic here...shims on top of the axle housing.

That's my interpretation of it - the real shims may fit a bit different. You could probably get the real ones from Kelly or somebody.

10128851445_77b5dcacf0_z.jpg

(edited to add:)   My brackets look reversed from the norm - that is just the way I made my home made plow frame fit.

Edited by timo4352
  • Like 1

cheesegrader

I have the brackets only, no spacer bar.

As long as the plow hooks up, I don't see a problem.

dsholler

I was just curious if they would work themselves loose without the shims.