zanepetty

sand blasting trans or not?

zanepetty

I'm not so sure this is OK to do even if I plug up the holes and stay away from seals. Just a thought I had because it would save me loads of time. But I don't want to risk anything. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

AMC RULES

A good ol' fashioned wire wheel still works pretty good. 

post-3498-0-36200700-1384099422_thumb.jp

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Zane, I know you want to use that new blaster, and it would be OK if you had two empty castings...but Craig is right...wire wheel and mineral spirits is the winning combination.  :)

• Like 1

zanepetty

OK great. I'm kind of obsessed with that new blaster haha. I'm glad to see you on the computer, Steve! Hope your eye is doing good. Craig, that trans looks unreal. Wow.

Edited by zanepetty
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

More here.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

sorekiwi

I wouldn't blast it fully assembled, and I certainly wouldn't blast bare cases either.

I know plenty of people on here do it, and have had no problems, but I don't believe that you be absolutely sure that you've got all that grit out afterwards.  I wire wheel and wire brush mine.

For the same reason I don't do engine parts either, although I have done a few cylinder heads.  The cylinder heads don't have so many nooks and crannies that can trap (and hide) leftover grit.

• Like 1

zanepetty

OK. I'll hold off on that. I didn't touch my engine with it either.

zanepetty

What about paint stripper? I put some of it on there to try..

sorekiwi

What about paint stripper? I put some of it on there to try..

Paintstripper would work.  Actually what I usually do is give the trans a good dosing with "Purple Power", brush it in a bit with an old paintbrush, and let it sit for a while.  Then hose it off.  Purple power will loosen up the old paint (which is why you shouldn't use it to clean the tractor!!).  Afterwards a wirebrush will do wonders.

I have a 5 gallon bucket full of it as well that I soak bare cases in.  A day or so removes all the paint.  I wouldn't let the stuff sit on anything aluminum though.

zanepetty

Yes. Purple power is great stuff. I always keep some in my shop. I had to use something on the back and sides because someone had brushed painted it at some point and the paint was so thick. I taped up around all the seals and of course the shifter hole and still didn't apply stripper over the seams of the trans. I'm worried about getting water in my trans. Or anything really.. so I didn't wash it..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jmack
      By jmack
      I’m looking for a transmission dipstick to a D-180. Let me know if you see one. 
    • BrianStasC-101
      By BrianStasC-101
      Hello all. I am looking for suggestions on adapting the pto from my C series tractor to a harbor freight predator 420 13hp engine. I know the predator motors are a controversial topic however it is the route I have chosen for this particular machine. The intent was to mostly use it for plowing so no PTO required but it would be handy to have. Looking to hear from someone that has successfully done the swap that may offer any advice before I attempt to transfer it over. Just looking for any general pointers that will help me along the way to make it go as smoothly as possible. 
    • Doug B
      By Doug B
      Hey guys,I have a dilemma I need some help with. I have a 1969 GT 14 that I replaced the transmission and pump on. For about 2 weeks afterward everything worked great, but while mowing at a pretty good pace I noticed a shudder and the tractor slowed a little but not bad. The more I rode it the slower it got until it barely moves. What stumps me is the hydraulics are still very strong,as in I can back the 3 point under the bumper of my truck and if you lift the arms all the way up the front wheels of the tractor will clear the ground. Have checked the tow valve and checked the internal filter,but no luck. I have also checked and replaced the forward and reverse bypass springs and the lever is moving the cam to full travel, forward and reverse. Any help would be appreciated.
    • FAST41
      By FAST41
      I am new to this group. I have my sons collection of Wheel Horse tractors that are definitely rare models. He still has one to pick up that’s dual wheel and was purchased from Peabody Coal Co. This is the perfect site to get involved with. The best advice comes from folks that are hands on.. had to be their own machine shop. Nothing compares to the knowledge in this group.! But my first topic is this 19hp Craftsman INDY 500 limited edition model. I was reading a topic on here about the 18hp and 20hp models, but cannot find a single replica of this tractor on ANY site or e-bay. We live near central Ohio, so I’m assuming it’s a regional release.The Briggs engine lobes like a medium cam in a V8. We thought it was an intermittent miss, but it’s not missing a bit. The engine is the strongest riding tractor I’ve ever operated. It will literally cook the deck belt in high grass before dragging the engine down. Very wide and lower to the ground. I never got the size, but the rearend is all tires.! Looks like a dragster from behind.. almost  gives the appearance of shortened axle tubes in a hot rod. Just wondering if anybodys ever seen this particular model. My next top is will be about the C160 total hydraulic Wheel Horse he just acquired. Claim they were specially made for snow removal.

• Wendell
      By Wendell
      New to the forum, but not to Wheel Horse. I just bought a 314-8 on the gear shift pattern there is what Toro calls a spring shift control, my 312-8 doesn't have this The 314 is a 1999, what was the purpose for this. Thanks.