Indy443

Help me install my tire chains!

Indy443

Hello-

I am making an attempt to install my tire chains this morning and low and behold, I've never installed tire chains before. Seems like it should be pretty straight forward, and I am sure that it is. 

I get them all wrapped around the tire and hook on the inside of the wheel connected, but the tension part is where I am stuck. I took a picture:

ADD4115B.jpg

How to I pull tension on that to get the chain taught?

illinilefttackle

Just slide the round chain link further down the arm you have it connected to-then rotate the arm around back towards itself-then hook the little "curl" around another link. Sorry I dont have any pics-some one else will soon come along that does-Thanks-Al

KC9KAS

I usually have to hook the back-side then hook the front side a little loose and rotate the tire pulling any slack where I can, then tighten the outside another link (if possible).

I also, if the chains do not have an extra link and have been cut to the length needed, I let the air out of the tire, install the chains then inflate the tire.

I always use tarp straps on my chains to take up any slack that develops while in use. I don't want to untangle the chains from an axle in 20* weather in the middle of the drive-way!

sorekiwi

+1 on deflating the tire a little bit.

Indy443

I got them all hooked up. Thank you all very much for chipping in the advice!

• Like 1