Wheel Horse Kid

14 H.P. Kohler K321 Not Starting Good

Wheel Horse Kid

Hey Guys,

I am currently working on a Bronco 14 (getting it ready for winter duty) and am having some issues with it starting.

When the engine is cold, I choke the engine and do about 1/2 throttle and the engine fires up after a few tries. When running, it seems to run pretty good.

Here is the problem:

After warming up the engine, I shut the engine off and try to start it again. It should pop right off, but it does not. It just sits there and turns over. The only way I can get it going after warming it up is to choke it again and then let off the choke real quick so it does not die out when it starts.

I have already changed the carburetor (one I put in looks to have been rebuilt), put on a new condenser, checked and timed the points, checked the gap on my plug and made sure it is having good spark, and I put in a new battery, but I still have not solved the problem.

Does anyone have an idea why it will not just pop off after having been warmed up and why I have to use the choke even when the engine is warm in order to be able to start it? Could it be the fuel pump or something like that???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Taylor

Rock farmer

I'd check the quality of your spark when trying to start it hot. If you have a weak spark, the extra fuel your adding by choking it may be why it starts. Or your starter may be drawing to much voltage and so, your spark is getting weak.

Joe

P.S. if you can change out the coil for a know good one, I'd do that!

Edited by Rock farmer

Wheel Horse Kid

Thank You Joe for all the suggestions! I will go through your list tomorrow and hoepfully, I can fix the issue.

JimD

Clean the carb, check and blow out or replace the fuel line, and check the fuel filter in the tank or the line, which ever it may have. That should help.

Edited by JimD

Patrick Reese

Also check for gasket (air) leaks on the intake side of the carburetor..

squonk

Checking the ignition voltage isn't a bad idea. I had a Honda 4 wheeler that did almost the exact same thing. When warm it wouldn't start warm with the starter but would fire right up with the recoil.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Thanks for all the additional suggestions guys! I will go through all of your suggestions and hopefully, I will get my issue fixed. Bought a trans filter, spark plug, and air cleaner for the tractor today and will be putting them on tomorrow and will try and fix the engine at that time. Thanks Again, Taylor

ARK

Battery voltage is low

Gas line plugged or low flow or pressure

Float valve in carb may be jammed or needle valve dirty

Choke plate is on or partially on verify with choke knob and look to see that it opens/closes all the way

Throttle plate mis-aligned

Idle and fuel mix need to be verified

Too much carbon around plug, clean gap or replace plug be sure gap is right with a feeler wire not flat feeler.  De-coke engine

Good luck

Wheel-N-It

Then again, it could be a loss of compression, especially if the engine has never been overhauled. Spinning the engine over and over with the starter causes compression to pump up to the level it needs to start and run when the rings and cylinder bore are beginning to wear. I'm not saying this IS your problem, but its certainly something to consider, and keep in mind for the future.