Crow Horse

B80, K181 might be toast....??

Crow Horse

While doing a final mow the old girl began to sound like it was under load and going to stall.  It finally did and wouldn't restart.  It sounds like there is no compression (maybe a broken rod?).  The starter will spin the motor easily with no unusual sounds other than it spiuns a lot faster.  Does this sound like a broken rod or other?  I haven't had the chance to get into it as it took me a good part of the afternoon trying to tow it myself back to the house....Any ideas?

Edited by Crow Horse

squonk

Sounds like it or the rod cap came off.

JimmyJam

Oh No!!!! Doesn't sound good! I hope not that you threw a rod!

Crow Horse

Rod cap coming off?  Is this a common issue?   What might be my options?  Best case scenario and worst? I don't know anything about these motors but it looks like I'll be learning a lot shortly......

dbartlett1958

Rod cap coming off?  Is this a common issue?   What might be my options?  Best case scenario and worst? I don't know anything about these motors but it looks like I'll be learning a lot shortly......

Crow,

The connecting rod cap doesn't "come off" so to speak. Should this be the case it is not good news, as you will need new parts to get going again. Not a simple case of "putting the cap back on". Start with basics like checking oil level, pull the spark plug and crank it over while holding your hand over the plug hole, etc. This will tell you if things are still connected inside or not. Could be as valve stuck open, but unlikely.

Good luck

WH nut

Sounds like a broken rod to me, Time to pull it down.

squonk

I've heard of the caps loosening up a lot lately. Usually tears up the crank.

sorekiwi

Sounds like a broken rod to me.

I have seen 2 K181's and one M8 with broken rods, all 3 were run low on oil.  And all 3 punched a hole pr at least cracked the block, have a good look at the block behind the starter.

cjsdad

I let my K181 get low on oil when it was new to me.  It too sounded like it was under heavy load before the rod seized/welded itself to the crankshaft and broke.  I put a new/used piston and rod in it but didn't realize the camshaft had been cracked by the broken rod.  If yours is broken be sure to check everything very closely before putting it back together.

Hoist.gifHoist.gifHoist.gif

Edited by cjsdad