SpillerMiller

Took starter apart... chunks fell out

SpillerMiller

For those of you who read my first post, I got the lift bar fabbed up for the snow blower and everything works great. But, as luck would have it, the starter began smoking the next day after getting blower operational. I took it apart and a list of issues immediately came to the surface. Most of the issues I can fix with easy to find replacement parts. But the magnet in the casing is broken and pieces of it are falling out. I'd like to fix the original starter, but I cannot find JUST the casing that houses the magnet anywhere online for sale. Is there anywhere I can order just the casing OR is there anyway to fix the existing magnet OR am I just going to have to buy an all new starter? Any and all help/advice is appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

daveoman1966

I was not following the thread of snow-blower repairs/issues.  So, what starter parts or complete starter are you looking for...and for what engine?

1978wh

If you have a local starter alternator rebuilder in your area check with them, alot of times they have old cores setting around they may be willing to sell you for cheap money I know i have a local that accually gave a a old core for parts n/c.

SpillerMiller

45 098 09 starter on a 16hp kohler.

Ok. Thank you

546cowboy

You know if it just needs brushes or a starter drive, it's a no brainer to fix it but when you have a bad armature or broken magnets , it's time for another starter. Besides probably not available it would cost more than a new or used one. That doesn't just pertain to garden tractors either. Our throw away society has made repairing something dang near  impossible.

Those magnets were probably broken by an idiot who hit it with a hammer when it wouldn't start the tractor. They do break pretty easy when you do that. :angry-nono: :angry-nono: :angry-nono:

Fordiesel69

You can somtimes epoxy the magnet back to the field housing.  If it is all crakced / broken you will have to source another used / new starter.  With proper care, they really do last the life of the engine.