meadowfield

Classified: project C4

AMC RULES

Yeah...nice save of that brake drum.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

meadowfield

Bit cold and windy up north today... Painted the front wheels indoors, swmbo (the boss) not happy with the smell of paint and thinners.

Ahh Bless 'em , the Ladies don't like the smell of paint in the house, but Nail Polish and the Remover fumes are ok  :eusa-think:  .

Glad your back on track, looking good and the Black Thumb Nail is on the mend :handgestures-thumbupright: .

Thanks Richard, on the final stretch now...

Yeah...nice save of that brake drum.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Just about saved...

Thanks

meadowfield

Not a big update, done a bit of lathe work on the bushes for the intermediate tensioner.

TV in the UK is rubbish on a Saturday night, so I've spent an hour or so on the ipad gluing pics together and making music.

Here's another short video - sticking a big lump of metal on the front of a C-101. And then some extreme off roading, I quite like the idea of a wheel horse rock crawler....

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 1

meadowfield

Ignore the quality of the bar, the picture and the slot....

A shiny 3/16 slot drill turned up today so I can mill the key ways for the intermediate shaft. I had to have a little practice, note no jig, no set up just clamping in the tool post and a few passes. Looks like it will work :D

1d6907acae5e3c478548c0dfb8c12b36_zpse23a

nigel

very nice mark :)

meadowfield

Managed to make a jig to hold 5/8 bar and cut the slot.

High speed pic

3bf0de732bf8d14df75bff65b961735f_zps5715

Slot cut

edb66a5828e3fb2e2bc45a149b4ae116_zpscbb4

98245f9d4ca43470c32d34b95816516d_zpse5d9

Looks like it will work, just waiting for my key steel to turn up

0dadf5372796e9330b16d087d534f2ce_zps9b29

Anglo Traction

Looking good Mark :handgestures-thumbupright: , Pity, now I see the size you needed, I just happen to have 3/16" Key Steel in stock you could have sent you.

meadowfield

No worries, it came today. It's a very snug fit, so with a light sand and tap of the hammer should do a great job!

Cheers

Stigian

Nice work Mark, I'm happy the slot drill idea worked for you. It certainly beats cutting the slots by hand :D

meadowfield

Nice work Mark, I'm happy the slot drill idea worked for you. It certainly beats cutting the slots by hand :D

Absolutely!

Pretty well all the lathe work done now, with a lot of luck might get the intermediate drive finished this weekend...

js5020

Excellent work!  Can't wait to see the finished driveline.

meadowfield

Another update, getting so close to a test drive now!! :D. I'm going to be up early to see if I can finish the last piece!

Some of you will remember my workshop fire in July, I've been using a lot of metal from that...

Here's one side of an 8 ton trolley jack coming in useful.

Bradford-20131213-00839_zpsdd653c93.jpg

Bradford-20131213-00840_zpsee7a4950.jpg

Making one side of the intermediate drive tensioner that will hang from the footrest bar.

7db7f627bcf5baeec11eec05787eb1bf_zpsffb6

The next picture will show you why I'm so close to a test drive :)

c3b373f05c3f85a5f1ee1b1dbb6743f6_zpsf4b3

Just a tie bar between the two Idlers to do and the tensioner spring.

Watch this space!

Stigian

Watching this space with interest Mark, don't forget the video  :D

Are you going to test it on axle stands first? It would be cool to see all four wheels turning :handgestures-thumbup:

meadowfield

:D :D :D

Why try on axle stands when you can go straight to test drive....

I've got the most mahoooosive of cheesy grins.

meadowfield

I will end the build pics first though, I'm 95% there - just the 2wd/4wd select to finish.

IMG_1749_zpsd3f5abe1.jpg

IMG_1754_zpsbefa43af.jpg

IMG_1756_zpsa80fcad6.jpg

and back from the first adventure :D

IMG_1748_zps4ce14fe4.jpg

Edited by meadowfield
  • Excellent 1

Charlie Smith

Mark, that's fantastic, you've got that machine looking wonderful, I bet your pleased now you've gone on a test run. now you have driven this, can you answer these few questions,

Has this affected the ride, like do you bounce around abit more than usual or is it still a comfy drive? And has this affected the speed any.. Is it slower quicker? Does the engine have to work harder,

meadowfield

Charlie,

it goes at the same speed in 2WD, with the front axle driven the engine really has to work hard. So in low box you can't tell the difference, High 3rd is really hard work. Not sure if you noticed - My C-101 is already geared up for running on the road, so does around 12mph. I might drop the ratio back now.

Although I know the gear train is up to the speed - and torque, I will not race it around like previous. I think the comfort is the same - those argocat tyres on the back have 3psi in them :)   It will no doubt work a little, hauling the trailer from the woods which it could manage the slope, but it's going to be more of a toy...

I think its going to be an eye turner at this years shows :)

Edited by meadowfield

Charlie Smith

It certainly will be a good eye turner at the shows, I often think, with the coustom decals you have made along with the excellent job, I wonder if in many of years if these machines are about, so your 4x4 and Ian's 6 wheeler will people think that they are factory jobs, that's how they where sold from new....... Hmmmm?

And okay that's interesting, and yes I must say I did notice you where rather speedy at ardingly, also seemed to pull off with a wheel spin start, much more Then my little raider can do. That's for sure, ;)

Oh and one last question, will this be able to push snow now! Surely that front drive is in the way? Noooo!

meadowfield

It certainly will be a good eye turner at the shows, I often think, with the coustom decals you have made along with the excellent job, I wonder if in many of years if these machines are about, so your 4x4 and Ian's 6 wheeler will people think that they are factory jobs, that's how they where sold from new....... Hmmmm?

And okay that's interesting, and yes I must say I did notice you where rather speedy at ardingly, also seemed to pull off with a wheel spin start, much more Then my little raider can do. That's for sure, ;) Oh and one last question, will this be able to push snow now! Surely that front drive is in the way? Noooo!

No chance of the plough fitting! But now I've got a new toy I won't want the snow to clear...

Charlie Smith

Ahh I see, but if push comes to shove! Do you have another means of clearing the snow,

Although I like your thinking, that beast would be wonderful to drive in 3ft of snow ;)

It seems to be most of us European members are hoping for snow!! HURRY UP SNOW!

meadowfield

Of course we can clear snow!

There's Ewan's C-121 and another C-161 on the trailer :)

meadowfield

Apologies for the rough cut video, but still think I should share my first 10 minute test run!

Still smiling (a lot). Missus thinks I'm nuts!

Here you go - a spot of extreme horsin'. :D

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Charlie,

it goes at the same speed in 2WD, with the front axle driven the engine really has to work hard. So in low box you can't tell the difference, High 3rd is really hard work. Not sure if you noticed - My C-101 is already geared up for running on the road, so does around 12mph. I might drop the ratio back now.

Although I know the gear train is up to the speed - and torque, I will not race it around like previous. I think the comfort is the same - those argocat tyres on the back have 3psi in them :)   It will no doubt work a little, hauling the trailer from the woods which it could manage the slope, but it's going to be more of a toy...

I think its going to be an eye turner at this years shows :)

Don't know how you would check it out, but if you are off by just a little on the gearing it would have to load the engine. May want to go for the jack stands and see how many inches of tire movement each end has for ten input shaft revolutions etc.

As for the vidio, I loved it!

timo4352

Great video. It's a beast. I want one...

Charlie Smith

Love the test drive video, looks to drive really well, very well done, great machine