kajamo240

K181 Covered In Oil

kajamo240

So since last year, I've had oil all over the engine from the exhaust pipe down all the way to the frame and eventually the ground.  At first glance, it seemed as if it was a bad head gasket...  Well, I've cleaned it up a bit and realized that the head gasket appears to be just fine.  Where else could this oil be coming from?  It will drip on my garage floor while its sitting but not excessively at all.  

Is it oil coming from the exhaust?  What originally made me think it was the head gasket is I when I start it, exhaust comes out from near the exhaust pipe, but then stops when its running.  Do I have a cracked engine block?  I don't see any other cracks or wear on the engine.  Or could it still be a bad head gasket that I'm not seeing where its damaged...?  My only problem with a bad gasket it that the oil doesn't start to show in the engine there, it starts showing a couple inches below it...

Any suggestions to keep me from bringing it to the local small engine repair shop would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Edited by kajamo240

Martin

i would check the crank oil seal on the flywheel side. dead giveaway would be to pull the blower tin and see if you have oil on the inside. if you had a leak there, the oil could be getting blown through the cylinder fins and around the exhaust side of the head making it look like a leak from that side.

also check the governor shaft area...

because these engines use air blowing through the top of them to cool, air can transfer oil all over the place......

let us know how you go with finding the source of the leak....

rmaynard

If it is starting a couple of inches below the head, I would have to guess that you have a hairline crack in the cylinder. To find out without taking it apart, you will have to clean all the oil and dirt from the cooling fins. Then watch it closely with the engine running to see where the oil comes from.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

The other thing to check is if the breather is working correctly.

I had a K181 a few years ago that I picked up at a yard sale.  I got it running and it ran well, didn't smoke apart from a puff at start up.  However under load it would pump oil out the breather like you wouldn't believe.  A vacuum test of the crankcase showed the crankcase was pressurizing. 

Might be worth looking into.

• Like 1

kajamo240

I dug a little deeper and found that the head gasket was shot but I don't believe that is where the oil was coming from.  I pulled the tin from around the motor, there was some oil residue build up but not much.  I don't think that the crank seal is bad.  I replaced the head gasket and put it all back together.  I guess I'll have to wait and see if the oil comes back or not.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'm thinking if it does come back, it'll have to be a crack in the block.

The cooling fins and most everything on that side is pretty dry and clean.  But there is oil underneath the flywheel which is why I am guessing its a cracked block or cylinder.  

Thanks for your help guys, we'll see if the oil returns.........

Fordiesel69

A cracked cyl usually will cause compression loss & low power.