rmaynard

What kind of Smartphone do you use, and why?

Smartphones  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of smartphone do you have?

rmaynard

I have been searching for the perfect smartphone lately. I have used a Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, and iPhone 4, all within the last year. So far, I have not been happy with any of them for one reason or another.

I am an AT&T user. The main reason is that AT&T allows me to talk and use the internet at the same time. Other reason is that Verizon has terrible coverage where I live.

So I have started this poll to find out what you use, if you like it, dislike it, and why.

As an example, I had a Motorola Bravo. It was great when I first got it. It had voice activated dialing so that I could use my Bluetooth headset hands free. Battery life was fine. I could go almost 12 hours on a charge. But it lacked in many other areas, most of which were due to the fact that it ran on Android 2.1. So it was replaced with a Samsung Rugby Smart.  The rugby is a rugged phone running on Android 2.3.6. Runs many more applications, but it doesn't have hands free dialing. Also, the battery life is poor. I can only get about 8 hours from a full charge. Fortunately the battery is replaceable, and I usually carry one with me. But I am finding the now Android 2.3.6 can't handle some of the newer apps, and 2.3.6 tends to crash pretty easily.

So I tried an iPhone 4. First of all, battery life is miserable. From a full charge I am lucky to get 6 hours. Battery is not replaceable, so it has to be recharged. Most of the apps that I use on Android are much different, and many not available on the iPhone, so I have a nice iPhone 4 for sale.

I am currently thinking about a Motorola Moto X, but I'm going to have to sell a Wheel Horse or two to afford it.

In responding to the poll, it you can elaborate on what you like and dislike about your phone, I would appreciate it.

posifour11

I always use Motorola. I live on the back side of nowhere and they always get the best signal. Mine is an electrify 2, but it's been replaced by electrify M.

I don't do the hands free thing. If I'm just calling or texting, the battery lasts forever. But, I use it to do all of my browsing, so battery will only last around six hours with heavy power use.

Edited by posifour11

Lars

well...  I will never have a Iphone as long you can get a android phone!!!  i dont like the way that half appel ppl do they thing's.. they know alot more about you then they should.. i know it because i have friends that sell phone's for living..

i have had HTC (one) and now i have Samsung S3 and i will whit no doubt buy me another samsung  it might be a S4 active that is a phone that can be wet whit out "die" lol..

my samsuns s3 has android 4.1.2

KC9KAS

I voted....

I just got a "Smart Phone" a month or so ago.

I got a SAMSUNG Rugby Pro (AT&T service). It is said to be "more durable" than most other phones, and I am somewhat......Rough with things.

Another reason I got this model is because this is the 1 that my wife said I was getting!

BTW.....OTTER BOX is a protective case that is also VERY durable, and I think it has a warranty for it and maybe the phone...not sure on that.

nylyon

I currently have an Android, but my next phone (and soon) will be an iPhone 5s.  Lars, don't kid yourself, your cell phone carrier knows even more about you than your family does (Apple, Android or Windows)

The Android is nice because the software is far less restricted than Apple, and true Apple locks you into their store and products (for the most part), and while there are disadvantages to that, there are clear advantages as well.  As any software developer will tell you, one of the most challenging parts of developing for multiple platforms is to insure compatibility.  Because there's so many different Android devices, there are a LOT of incompatibilities, and many Android users find this to be the case.  That doesn't happen with iPhone's because there's just 2 versions, the new phone and the old phone so the actual software is generally far more solid. 

That will be the primary reason I will be going with an iPhone.  I am tired of rebooting my Android because a function stopped working, I don't use my phone to do a lot of things, but I expect them to work when I do.  Additionally, I am a Mac, Apple TV, iPad user as well.  I really like the integration among all the products, and while you can "potentially" do the same with Androids, it's just not as intuitive as with Apple products.

Finally, I really like the way the iPhone 5s looks.  Whether or not you like Apples, you got to admit it's a clean design and well put together.

rmaynard

That will be the primary reason I will be going with an iPhone.  I am tired of rebooting my Android because a function stopped working, I don't use my phone to do a lot of things, but I expect them to work when I do. 

That is one reason why I am selling the iPhone 4. I was using a voice command application. I said "dial HOME". The next thing I know it replied "dialing Andrea's mobile". Well I tried to end it and the danged thing locked up on me. I couldn't turn it off, I couldn't end the call...NOTHING. Just two minutes of me ranting, saying such things as "how the **** do you end this thing?, and yelling at the phone "I'M NOT CALLING ANDREA", and who know what else?". Meanwhile my wife is laughing hysterically in the background. Turns out this was at 6:30am and Andrea is in the central time zone. So at 5:30am she got up to find her phone only to get my message off voicemail. Andrea is my son-in-law's sister. She called him and said it was the most hilarious thing she heard in a long time. Glad I could brighten up your day Andrea.

As I said, I have a nice but naughty iPhone 4 for sale, and I will continue to use my Samsung Rugby Smart until I save enough money for a Moto X.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

Martin

I currently have an Android, but my next phone (and soon) will be an iPhone 5s.  Lars, don't kid yourself, your cell phone carrier knows even more about you than your family does (Apple, Android or Windows)

The Android is nice because the software is far less restricted than Apple, and true Apple locks you into their store and products (for the most part), and while there are disadvantages to that, there are clear advantages as well.  As any software developer will tell you, one of the most challenging parts of developing for multiple platforms is to insure compatibility.  Because there's so many different Android devices, there are a LOT of incompatibilities, and many Android users find this to be the case.  That doesn't happen with iPhone's because there's just 2 versions, the new phone and the old phone so the actual software is generally far more solid. 

That will be the primary reason I will be going with an iPhone.  I am tired of rebooting my Android because a function stopped working, I don't use my phone to do a lot of things, but I expect them to work when I do.  Additionally, I am a Mac, Apple TV, iPad user as well.  I really like the integration among all the products, and while you can "potentially" do the same with Androids, it's just not as intuitive as with Apple products.

Finally, I really like the way the iPhone 5s looks.  Whether or not you like Apples, you got to admit it's a clean design and well put together.

Gotta agree 100% with this. Karl turned me onto apple products more than 18 months ago now and i will never go back. i have a macbook, apple tv and iphone 4s, Jeanine and Kent both have iphones and ipads and we just love the integration.

i use an android phone for work and i hate it. it wont sync my work email consistently with the workstations at work, its hard to use the email on the phone with other workers with the same phones and i generally just find a workstation and log in and use that instead of dealing with the screwy keyboard and attaching pics etc. i know all android phones arent the same but its almost the same deal i had with using Jeanines droid phone a few years ago.......

ive had my 4s since the day they released them and not once can i remember having to restart it for a lockup. cant say the same for every other smartphone i have had in the past.

opinions are like ******** though, everyones got one, and they are for the most part all different..............

Edited by Martin

Lars

Gotta agree 100% with this. Karl turned me onto apple products more than 18 months ago now and i will never go back. i have a macbook, apple tv and iphone 4s, Jeanine and Kent both have iphones and ipads and we just love the integration.

i use an android phone for work and i hate it. it wont sync my work email consistently with the workstations at work, its hard to use the email on the phone with other workers with the same phones and i generally just find a workstation and log in and use that instead of dealing with the screwy keyboard and attaching pics etc. i know all android phones arent the same but its almost the same deal i had with using Jeanines droid phone a few years ago.......

ive had my 4s since the day they released them and not once can i remember having to restart it for a lockup. cant say the same for every other smartphone i have had in the past.

opinions are like ******** though, everyones got one, and they are for the most part all different..............

With iPhone 5s, getting into your phone is faster and easier with Touch ID—a new fingerprint identity sensor...!!!

i would never give that away from me...

And as i said i have buddies that run a pc and phone store... i have hear what they and a lot of ppl says about phones.. they are 9 guys working there only one is using iphone's...

but ppl have to use what they want.. i know a lot of ppl that use iphone's and other appel product and are happy whit it. iphone 4S is prolly the best phone they ever have made....  but i know to much on how that stuff is innside appel..

squonk

We have all Apples and no oranges here. All of our phones were bought used. People have to get the latest and greatest and these phones were less than a year old. We have Consumer Cellular thru AARP. Piggy backs on AT & T. No problems at all except I get lousy signal at work. (We have Verizon antenna's throughout the campus) Battery dies quickly if I'm stuck inside and it's searching all the time. At home on a weekend it will last 2 days. My only problem I have is my refurbished I-pad. It posts pics sideways  or up and down, won't let me edit the shoutbox and won't let me use smilies :confusion-scratchheadblue: I'm typing this on a 10 yr old I-Mac

"D"- Man

I have a Droid 4 running Ice Cream Sandwich (version 4) because it was the best available at the time it came out. It has required rebooting more than I consider acceptable, however; the features, apps and ease of use are close to what I look for in a smart phone. The pre-installed apps are not removeable but can be hid (although this still eats away battery power.) The mini or micro USB or charger jack is inadequately designed, as well as the docking station and the car window mount. Battery is not removeable and has far too low miliamp-hour capacity.

It is rummered that moto is producing a "Droid5" if so, and it has a larger screen, better battery, wireless charging, no pre-installed apps (or at least make them removeable) and don't require me selling a couple "red horses" to afford it I may be in the market for a new phone.

953 nut

I hava a phone of less than average intelligence because it is compatible with me. It is just a lost husband locator device. :text-lol: 

• Like 2

mowerman1193

I guess I am not a huge fan of electronics and maybe a more basic phone will suffice for my use..

That said I have a Nokia E71..Yeah it is a old phone but does what I need to do. I bought it from Straighttalk (Walmarts phone service) as a refurbish phone for $29 4 years ago..I am online with it more than anything..I also use it a lot to text with the kids etc.. as a phone itself..well I don't do a lot of talking on a phone.. The battery life..well when we was on vacation I was online a lot because I didn't bring a laptop. I had to charge the thing like every 3 - 4 days..That is soo annoying to me to have to charge something all the time..Heck my son was charging his Samsung President about every 4-6 hours..I was on my phone way more than he was, lol. Normally only charge it at home about every week - week/half. It is a AT&T phone so it uses their service not as good of service as my old phone that was used with Verison  but not bad. My sons phone is a Sprint and his service sucks standing right underneath the sprint tower, LOL

I think it is hard to beat straighttalks service of unlimited everything for $45 month. no contract etc..biggest problem with it is you do have to buy your own phone or use a phone that is no longer under a contract. If you buy a phone from them you need to research what phone service the phone your purchasing will be using. They do have a code on the box of the phone that will identify what service that phone will use..just have to ask the sales people what phones will work on whatever service you are wanting.

Kevin

RMCIII

iPhone 5s. Only because I got a good deal on it. Not a fan of the Windows style or look and use. I have a iPad, and the look is completely different. I did not even think about the change that Apple had announced it would be doing with the iPhone. I'll deal with it until my contract runs out. If BB, get's back in the game, I'm switching back. Plus the iPhone is limited when in my car with Sync. I've lost the "talk-to-text" feature. Lost text message reading, through the display and radio. The voice recognition does not work as well, with the phone directory, and couple other features are a little quirky..... Thought I was getting a "Honey Crisp" of a deal with the Apple, but instead it turned out to be a "Rotten" Apple.... :hilarious:

MalMac

I use a Iphone 4, we use AT&T which really stinks around here, but that's a whole different subject. I think the last update for the phone is terrible. It has cause more problems and to me they really dumbed the phone down. Gave it more of a kinder gardener look with a box of crayons. Wish I could go back to the prior operating systems. Apple won't leave a good thing alone in the name of progress.

rick

I am interested in getting my first smartphone, so I am interested in the thread/poll. Every time I ask family and friends which is better, I start an argument. It took a long time and grandchildren before I even got a phone with a camera.

C-101plowerpower

samsung, for sure, i currently have the samsung galaxy fame works great, i can do 2 days on 1 charge. :)

if you want a phone that can be driven over by a wheel horse, get the samsung xcover 2 as seen here : http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s7710_galaxy_xcover_2-5263.php

Koen

Stigian

Samsung Galaxy S2 here, I tried an Iphone for a while but couldn't get on with it..

It's almost that time (a few days) when I get a free upgrade on my phone contract, I will be going for a Samsung again.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I've had the Samsung Galaxy Note II (rooted) for a while and it's been very stable for me and I've installed hundreds of apps.  Some people call it a phablet because it's a 5.5" inch screen but even that seems a bit small for my hands.  The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 isn't much of an improvement so I'm waiting for something in the 6-7" range with decent power and a quality screen.  I use a service called Ting which has a system of levels where you are charged based on usage (as they define it).  I also connect to Wifi whenever feasible.  Ting  buys bandwidth from Sprint and I'm in a 4g area so it works out well for me.  My costs dropped from $90 a month unlimited everything plan to $25-$35 a month usage plan on Ting.  Sprint didn't have that many 4g areas initially but they seem to be working double time because I see more popping up lately.  

• Like 1

Trouty56

I use an LG Spectrum and it is rooted with a custom ROM loaded.......had to break away from Verizon's restrictions.........heck...it is 2 years old....does what I need and if it weren't for my bad vision would do much more.  I rarely make calls and most communication is typing....the keypad I use now works really good....if you pay attention it will type for you.  The walkie talkie feature is the best thing about the keypad....   GPS is spot on too.....

Racinbob

Samsung here. Had a HTC Evo and it was evil. I fought getting a smartphone but the wifey insisted I'd like one. I said I'd hate it. The HTC proved me right since it truly was evil. Now my wife laughs cuz I like this Samsung Galaxy

rmaynard

I think this thread has run it's course. It looks like the general opinion is Samsung wins the brand, but more important, Android beats iPhone almost 2 to 1.

Thanks for the input.

Redbirdman

Well...Maynard I agree about so much telephone talk....I'm not a big fan of electronics...specially this week

.BUT LET me add this one piece of advice A SERIOUS WARNING TO ALL TIN SEAT WHEEL HORSE OWNERS!

I have a Iphone 4 .......only because gramma made me carry one. (Just in case I get lost in the Senioran Desert)....

I do like it for taking pictures, and I have a nice gps setup in it....and I like when my grandaughter texts me. 

But gramma insists I take it with me when I'm in the airplane, or on the tractors, even though I cant hear it ring.....So I clip it on the seat when I'm  putzing around.

BUT DON'T leave it just sitting on the seat of a running RJ.........because when your back is turned it is going to vibrate right off the seat onto the ground....and then you're going to step on it when you go to get back on the tractor.......

Final replacement cost including the extra tough cover she made me buy---> $150.00

:eusa-think:

rmaynard

Ouch. Wish I would have know you needed one. I have a nice used iPhone 4 (32gb) that I am selling.

Terry M

I bought an otter box for mine. daughter dropped it 7' off the deck, landed on a rock and bounced into the grass....no damage done. Good product in my opinion. and yes, apple, mac,I-phones,my I-pod and each of the kids have an I-pad....it's the way to go. I'll never have windows at home again! (as far as computers go)