zanepetty

I hope so. I've worked really really hard on her. Ive got more to do still but I think its coming out really nice. I'd tossed around ideas about how to fix the box but I finally decided I wanted original. They only charged 20 bucks for that! It looks IDENTICAL to the original.

• Like 1

zanepetty

I never payed any MInD to this. Made me sick to find it today. What should I do?

post-11334-0-70947000-1385663228_thumb.j

AMC RULES

That's character the factory provided you for free, keep moving forward.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Besides, who's bending over to inspect the bottom of your tractor?   :scratchead:

zanepetty

OK good. I felt like I was getting woozy when I saw that! But it looks like it was cracked or something and had been repaired but kind of sloppily..

post-11334-0-15952900-1385669299_thumb.j

Edited by zanepetty

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  On closer inspection...it does appear that way, huh? 

zanepetty

Yes. My first pic wasn't great. Should I try cutting the whole center out of the plate and having a new piece maybe? I'm sick over it. I had planned to start painting tomorrow :(((

Edited by zanepetty

AMC RULES

Do you plan on ever working this tractor again? 

zanepetty

Its going to be ridden a lot. I want it to be done right.

Martin

v out the cracks and weld them up. smooth your welds and paint it. you don't have to grind smooth the side in the pic if you don't care, just where the bolt heads are, the back where it bolts to the trans needs to be smooth though.......

add a reinforcement strap like the later models used if you want.

here is one I'm working on at the moment, its a later frame has the formed lines and this one had the lower strap. top and bottom holes were cracked badly so i welded them up and added a strap to the top holes as well......

post-4321-0-48389000-1385673843_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

zanepetty

Well I don't have a welder I might have to take it back to the shop.. I hope its not too pricey. Do you think it will b tricky?

Edited by zanepetty

kudzu3

Zane, don't let that discourage you, it's a simple fix. A decent welder will fix that for you in short order and it shouldn't cost much at all. You need to slow down a little anyway, so I can catch up, and besides, your project looks way too good anyway! If you decide to just scrap it, let me know, I'll come get it.

• Like 1

zanepetty

OK tommy haha. I'm trying not to. Between this and priming this stupid cast iron its a nightmare.

kudzu3

Patience my friend. Kinda like learning to play a banjo, sometime you have to put it down for a few days.

zanepetty

I guess your right pal. I'm at the point now where I want it back together so badly!

zanepetty

Just thought I'd give am update while I'm sitting here too full from thanksgiving leftovers do do anything else. Man I'm thankful for that meal! Yesterday I noticed that my cast iron parts that I had already primed and scotch brited had rusted in places. due the uneven textured nature of the cast, the tiny raised portions caught the brunt of the scotch brite pad and got to metal again. They were so tiny I didn't see that before. So I spent all day today taking AAALLLL those pieces down to metal and priming them AGAIN! I don't know if I'll EVER get done. I did order my paint today though.

zanepetty

I painted red today! FINALLY! everything turned out real nice except for the steering shaft because it DROPPED while I was painting it. Here are some pics.

post-11334-0-76676500-1386191584_thumb.j

post-11334-0-59688900-1386191657_thumb.j

post-11334-0-34737100-1386191768_thumb.j

post-11334-0-52098300-1386191909_thumb.j

• Like 5

rmaynard

Looks good so far Zane.

squonk

Make sure it's dried good before you handle it.

zanepetty

Thanks fellas. I'll let it dry for a few days.

AMC RULES

Ahhh yeah...  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

that spanky new  :wh: red always looks sooo nice. 

zanepetty

Its nice Craig. I love the look of new, glossy red paint.

kudzu3

Nice, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

zanepetty

Thanks! That harbor freight gun is great.

stevasaurus

Zane, I can be there in 12 hours to help you watch it dry.  :) Looks real good my friend.

zanepetty

Come on Steve! Heck, with those new eyes you've got you might see straight through the paint! :D I wanted to post this picture. I felt like it was Christmas day and I was opening a present while I untaped this.

post-11334-0-24689100-1386265690_thumb.j

• Like 4