jhunsch

19 Foot Pole Saw

jhunsch

19 Foot Long Pole Saw.

Made it myself long pole saw for about $20.

First you need to get lucky and find the right Saw blade.

I happened to get real lucky and asked the right young lady @ Lowes for help.

I got the last out of package reduced pull type limb saw that Lowes had for $ 3.90.

Plus small bolts and wing nuts for $ 4.

And the In expensive conduit for just a couple more bucks.

One 10 footer ¾ inch

& One 10 footer 1 inch in diameter.

Total length is 19 feet it is a bit cumbersome to use, and just a bit heavy. Operator need to be patient and work slow. Its important the blade is a pull type blade. This means the blade only cuts the material when it is pulled towards you. Cutting on the push does not work well at 19 feet. Also use a wax type lubricant on the blade. This helps a great deal to make the job easier. Mount the blade @ that typical slight angle. I used a piece of broken sledge hammer handle inside the pipe to mount the blade.

I turned it down on a lathe to fit, then cut the slot with a saws all. Two bolts with jam nuts to hold the blade tight. Ten cuts later, its all still tight so I think it turn out all right and cut’s fast to. Two bolts with wing nuts hold the two pipes together. I over lapped them about 1 foot. I can reach up over 20 feet and cut. When I store it I have the pole slid together. One Bolt and wing nut hold to two together the other bolt is just in the handle end so I know were it is. If or when I need it only half way extended I will drill those holes then.

20131023_131154_zpsf72e5c67.jpg

20131023_131331_zpsa1d47b6b.jpg

20131024_150721_zpsd477a9f3.jpg

20131024_150916_zpsbd612102.jpg

20131023_131438_zps8c497a00.jpg

20131024_150630_zps9f32c12e.jpg

20131024_150615_zpsd75aaaf1.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   You could bring it over to my house and show me how it works.  :text-lol: 

AMC RULES

Great idea...I need one too.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

GlenPettit

A  "Chain link fence TOP RAIL" is 21' long, one piece; 

but probably heavier.   That is a great idea.

Rboski

That sure beats having to be the "Pole" in the tree with a saw.  

post-3621-0-21001600-1384193807_thumb.jp

Jeeeez, nobody likes polish jokes?   :eusa-think:

Edited by Rboski

eb in oregon

Pole saws are a good tool to have, but the longer ones will wear you out. I built a rather long saw myself some years back and used the heck out of it. But gosh darn, after cutting a good sized limb or two, your done for the day. I used an eight foot length fiberglass pole (retrieved from the garbage bin at a place I used to work) and a eight foot length of wooden rod meant for a closet rod. It just fit into the fiberglass tube and was secured with two wood screws.  It was just shy of sixteen feet. I cut the slot for the blade (rescued from a pruning saw with a broken handle) with a cross cut saw and used two 1/8th inch carraige bolts to secure the blade. It's still in the garage, but I loath having to take it out.