Raider12

520 Onan Engine Weight?

Raider12

Does anyone know what a "complete" 20 hp Onan off of a 520H would weight? This engine has the exhaust, starter etc. I appreciate you in put.

Hodge71

Should be about 170 pounds maybe 5 or 10 pounds either way. I know its much, much lighter than the old Kohler twins. They were cast iron, the Onan is aluminum….

zieg72

Should be about 170 pounds maybe 5 or 10 pounds either way. I know its much, much lighter than the old Kohler twins. They were cast iron, the Onan is aluminum….

I doubt it is even that heavy.  I just took one off a 520H I parted out.  If you need me to weigh it I can tomorrow on an old bathroom scale. 

sorekiwi

I'm thinking its a lot less than 170 lbs.  I've lifted a complete one onto the bench by myself, and I only weigh 170 ish.  (and I wonder why I have a bad back and a double hernia...  :banghead: )

• Like 2

Hodge71

I stand corrected then Kiwi. I just did some comparing against a Kohler single I just shipped. That was 135 out of the crate and 153 in it. The last Onan I moved was a P216 and I thought it weighed more than the Kohler and the crate. I could very well be wrong as the Onan was moved last year, the Kohler was last week.

Kelly

If I was to guess I'd say about 125 I can pick them up and walk away with one, not far but still, and I think a single cyl. big block Kohler is a little heavier

squonk

I'm thinking its a lot less than 170 lbs.  I've lifted a complete one onto the bench by myself, and I only weigh 170 ish.  (and I wonder why I have a bad back and a double hernia...  :banghead: )

170?? I think my feet weigh that much!
  • Haha 1

Jake217

I've pulled a K341 thumper on my C-165 and the Onan P220g on my 520H; both for refurbs.  I weigh about 170 lbs and I had no problem lifting the Onan off and back onto the frame.    The Kohler seemed a lot heavier than the Onan.  It was much more of a "waddle walk" carrying that Kohler that the Onan.  Pulling the flywheel takes off a lot of wieght.  Obviously moving them dry.  

Hope this helps

CRE1992

A complete onan engine should weigh only about 120lbs... Refer back to this thread when I weighed one...

boovuc

Ditto on the 120 lb. Using a very scientific bathroom scale................I weighed my P220 with muffler, PTO bell attached and tins included and I got just shy of 120 lbs. It might be a little heavier as this scale was a POS but my ex kept it around so she probably knew it weighed things a little under! :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Every spec known to man in the Onan factory service manual...

except the weight of the darn thing.     :techie-error: