bowtiebutler956

Picking Up A C-160 Thursday!

bowtiebutler956

Well, thanks to a couple of RS members hear who were watching out for me (Wheel-N-It), and (whc160) I'll be heading out Thursday to pick up a C-160 8 speed with attachments! :woohoo:  Now hear is the part where some of you guys will start booooooing. It was factory equipped with an OH160 16hp Tecumseh. :hide:  I've been wanting a C-160 for a very long time, and I thought all of them were equipped with the K341 Thumper, but I was mistaken. It figures, that the only C-160 for sale in Texas would have a Tecky! I'm still very happy, especially with all the attachments, mowing deck, WH tiller, WH dump cart, and harrow, which I don't believe to be original. I'm excited! :thumbs:  

Matt

• Like 6

userj8670

Please throw up some pix! There are alot of 16hp Kohler blocks around so im sure you could swap it out.

stevasaurus

There is really nothing wrong with Tecumseh's...excellent engines.  It is the carbs that can be a little touchy at times, :)

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Here are a few of the pics the seller sent me. I'm hoping the Tecky is in decent shape, as I would like to keep it original.

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-14851000-1382477017_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-12935900-1382477038_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-04562600-1382477061_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-38714400-1382477083_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-06912200-1382477101_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-19137500-1382477175_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a great addition to your collection matt! Those solid state techies can be great runners...the smaller ones are the ones that most people have troubles with. I had a charger 10 that ran sweet...ended up selling it, but it always fired right up!

• Like 1

Martin

wow matt, congrats,  finally got yourself a 160. looks like it will clean up ok and also looks to be in nice condition under all that barn frosting....... :thumbs:

of course we are going to need a full dedicated thread once you get it and start cleaning it up. looks like keeping it original is the way to go.......

is it going to be a restore or keep it how it is?

• Like 2

Anglo Traction

Well done Matt and good of the Guys to keep a lookout for you , Look's like it will scrub up well................. not sure what's going on with the Block attached to the Clutch Pedal :scratchead: ...Kiddie Ride maybe?.  

I'm sure that Techy will always behave and work hard at your command. Look forward to seeing it and the other bits shining bright in the Texas Sunshine.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

My HH120 Techy has been mowin and blowin for 15 years without a hic-cup. Looks like a great worker.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

There is really nothing wrong with Tecumseh's...excellent engines.  It is the carbs that can be a little touchy at times, :)

That's good to hear Steve! Thanks. :thumbs:

Looks like a great addition to your collection matt! Those solid state techies can be great runners...the smaller ones are the ones that most people have troubles with. I had a charger 10 that ran sweet...ended up selling it, but it always fired right up!

Thanks Jake, I'm very happy to add this to my collection! This will put me at a whopping 2 :wh:'s! :ROTF:  I have a long way to go before I have a collection anywhere near as nice as your. :bow-blue:  :thumbs:

wow matt, congrats,  finally got yourself a 160. looks like it will clean up ok and also looks to be in nice condition under all that barn frosting....... :thumbs:

of course we are going to need a full dedicated thread once you get it and start cleaning it up. looks like keeping it original is the way to go.......

is it going to be a restore or keep it how it is?

Thanks Martin. The plan is to keep it original right now, but I have a hard time Not restoring things.  :ychain:   We'll see how long I can resist.

Well done Matt and good of the Guys to keep a lookout for you , Look's like it will scrub up well................. not sure what's going on with the Block attached to the Clutch Pedal :scratchead: ...Kiddie Ride maybe?.  

I'm sure that Techy will always behave and work hard at your command. Look forward to seeing it and the other bits shining bright in the Texas Sunshine.

Thanks Richard, and I'm guessing it had a vertically challenged operator,  as it has those blocks on both the clutch, and brake pedal. I will post pics of it getting cleaned up as soon as possible.

My HH120 Techy has been mowin and blowin for 15 years without a hic-cup. Looks like a great worker.

That's Fantastic news, and I hope this one behaves the same way! Thanks

Martin

Thanks Martin. The plan is to keep it original right now, but I have a hard time Not restoring things.   :ychain:   We'll see how long I can resist.

Matt, I know what you mean. everytime i get another one, i imagine how it would look all redone. my latest one (416H) im still at that stage where one day i want to take the plunge again and the next i want to leave it alone. 

my c160 though, is the one i really like to get out once in a while and just drive it around. i really want to keep this one all original, rusty paint and all. theres a few things mechanically that really need to get taken care of, but i like it just the way it is. the metal is just rust pitted enough that i know it won't be looking right if i redo it in powder coat. i need to pick the ones which are better (easier) to get the metal smooth enough to paint direct to metal. just like your food, no fillers for the powdercoated ones anymore........ :woohoo:  :thumbs:

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Matt, you've got the only Tecky C160 I have ever seen. Its a rarity for sure, at least here in NC. I'd sure like to see that one running on YouTube if you ever get around to uploading a video there. Congragulations friend !!!

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Van, and you can bet I'll upload a video on Youtube. I'll be getting on the road at 3am to head for Dallas, which is 550mi north of me. I should be home before midnight tomorrow, so I'll try, and get pics up on Friday. While 1100 miles is a long drive, its well worth it! :woohoo:

• Like 1

Trouty56

Jdog got a techy C160 once.  The hood stands a little taller on them to accommodate the height on the engine.  The front hinges are a bit different.  Looked so cool I tired the hinges on my 160 I had but they didn't fit.  Must be something different at the hood stand.

• Like 1

whc160

:woohoo: Congrats Matt

I am glad to know that you dream of owning a C-160 is about to come true.  And am glad to have had a part in that along with Wheel-N-Nut.  I am sure you going to love it as much as I love mine.  Also you taught me something new.  I thought that I know just about everything there was to know about a C-160.  Then you find that a Techy was a factory option and all this time I thought they all had Kohler engines.  Just goes to show you that no matter what age you are there is always something new to learn.

• Like 2

tbarnhart

New member here but I had to celebrate with you on the great 74 C-160.  I've got one just like that minus some of the red paint. They only came with the OH160 Tech in 74 and it was just an option then.  Most had that K. I rebuilt the engine in mine last winter and it runs great now. Parts are a little hard to get and ignitions and carbs are gold plated, but if it's all right, it's as strong as any 16hp and very good on gas.  I can mow an 1 1/4 acre of heavy tough southern bahia grass on one tank.  The only problem is the deck belt will slip.  Kind of a neat rarity.

• Like 2

ericj

several years ago at the whcc show i found a C160 and like most guys on here i wanted 1 to till i realized it had a tecky on it. if i recall i think it was an overhead valve motor. so i past on it and never looked back

eric j

mowerman1193

Wow that looks like a nice find.. I think that cart looks like an original Wheel Horse cart.. I didn't know they put the tecky in a C-160 either..

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I just got home, and I am whipped! That's a lot of driving for one day. I took a couple pics when I was at a gas station, and thought I'd post them. In the pics the owner sent me it looked like seat was a little tor up, but that was not the case. The stuff around the bottom of the seat that made it look bad was actually the original clear plastic that came on the seat when new. This seat is beautiful! Anyway, here are the pics. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-02700400-1382670430_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-87991600-1382670448_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-41946600-1382670462_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-24890600-1382670480_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-72282700-1382670497_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-31443100-1382670509_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-77521000-1382670523_thumb.jp

• Like 7

Terry M

Looks like a Nice package deal you have there Matt!!. :handgestures-thumbupright:    

Edited by Terry M
  • Like 1

Martin

wow, you travelled a long way, but looks like it was worth it.

that tractor looks very nice and you got a bunch of attachments as well......

you finally got your c160 and a very nice one at that, congratulations.......

• Like 1

Racinbob

That certainly is a dandy and well worth the drive. I remember back in 1972 my Dad bought a new Raider 12. He was looking at another one at the dealer but decided on the 12 because it had the Kohler. I do prefer Kohlers but I see no reason to swap the Tecky out as it's an excellent motor as well. With the scarsity of Wheel Horses here in Florida I'd consider your long drive almost a local trip. Congrats on your find!

• Like 1

dclarke

I agree with the other guys, Well worth the trip, Matt..... Looks great! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Matt, you really did well with this one. I would say having a C160 with that engine gives you some bragging rights !

• Like 2

massey

Looks like it was well worth the trip. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Nice looking C160 there! I think it is quite rare since you have the Tecky in it! Nice score!

• Like 1