Sign in to follow this  
tookies

GT-14 Kohler Engine problem (Ignition Coil)

tookies

I have a GT-14 with the stock Kohler 14hp engine, Model # 321S that has a starting problem and an appetite for batteries.

A new battery will last about 10 days before it goes dead. Its like there is an open circuit somewhere when the tractor is shut off. Leave it alone a few days and it wont turn over. The battery dies (even though its a new battery and is fine when you run it everyday, a few days off and I have a dead battery). This is the second battery this has done it to in the last 6 weeks.

It also seems like the ignition coil is bad as it takes a freshly charged car battery to get this old 14 hp to turn over. Once started it runs good.

Are ignition coils still available for a 14 hp 321S? And, has anyone heard of a tractor that eats batteries like this one does or is that related tot eh ignition coil?

thanks, Chris

refracman

Chris

When you say it takes a full charged battery do mean it doesn't turn over fast enough to start?

If this is the case it would be either the starter or starter solenoid or the leads to them as the coil only affects spark.

A few things to check would be the soleniod and key switch for the power drain.

To check the switch, in the off position check and see if you still have voltage on the leads from it.

To check the soleniod unplug the key switch let it set a couple days and check battery voltage.

hope this helps ya.

Buzz

If your battery goes dead sitting, you have something draining it A good way to isolate a battery drain is to use a test light.

First, disconnect one of the battery terminals. It doesn't matter which one although I disconnect the negative cable. That way if my wrench slips I don't see fireworks. Put the test light in between the disconnected battery cable, and the now empty battery post. If the light lights, then there is a current flowing through it, caused by the wiring problem.

Once this is set up, it is a simple matter to go to each component and disconnect wires one at a time. When the light goes out, you have found the source of the drain.

rustbucket

the GT-14's ignition system is completly seperated from the battery some what and runs off its own windings on the stator coil behind the fly wheel. it uses kohlers breakerless ignition and there by dosnt use battery power to trigger spark. might be a faulty groud or something similar. personaly i would do like steve said after all he owns several of the GT-14 machines and has seen lots of things. buzz is also great source of knowladge.