Sign in to follow this  
sshell

have you fabricated garden implements?

sshell

Hi, just looking for ideals on frabricating up some garden implements, like furrows, cultivators, ect... :omg: I have lots of steel and welding ability, well I have steel anyway :USA: But looking for ideals. Any thoughts or plans?

Thanks

Steve :banghead:

Teddy da Bear

You would rather make the impliments? You don't want the joy of trying to find the original equipment?

If there were one impliment that was worth making, I would say make a belly grader. Do you have use for one?

CasualObserver

Theres are a couple of yahoo groups for just that...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homebuiltequipmentfortractors

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gardentractorimplements

They're both owned by a member here.

WheelHorse_of_course

I'd like to make a rake (e.g. "york style rake").

My thought was to start with a cheap de-thatcher, and attach a cross member (I'd probably use a 2x4 but you could use steel). Bolted to this would be the spring steel tines (available from various ag suppliers.

Most dethatchers have wheels and just a drawbar hitch. I thought I would keep the wheels but make a tongue with a hinge. This would go in the sleeve hitch. With the lift up the tines would engage, with the lift down it would tip down onto the wheel and be free rolling.

:banghead:

Good luck , have fun , and keep us posted (with lots of pictures).

rustbucket

i know we have a local mad fabricator some where here in the forums i think he goes by the name Ian king of thingies.

mailman

i know we have a local mad fabricator some where here in the forums i think he goes by the name Ian king of thingies.

:banghead: That he is!

sshell

Thanks for all the good links. I like to builed my own attatchments as well as finding originals. I still want a brinly plow. :thumbs: I love to garden and I use my horses for gardening as much as I can, Micah in Main is my idol! Just something about looking at the garden after this horse has cultivated that makes me smile :omg:

i have more steel then money so I am trying to make a few pieces for my garden adventures. I will post some pics of what I have, dark outside now. Just a little insite, didnt want anyone thinking I/m wiered or somthing, maybe strange though :banghead: :USA:

big mike

Steve,I made a rear grader blade aka back blade.I made new subframes t mount a loader on a different tractor than it was built for.I made a different(bigger) trailer for my leaf vac.If you need a plow I can fix you up.....what size do you want?8,10 or 12"

Nick

Steve, While I am still posting things around here Im sure you will not be thought of as strange. :omg:

Building things from scrap around the house. :USA: It was already mentioned but a "York rake" attachment is something that can come in handy but might require buying some spring tines if you dont have something around that will work. Mid grader blades might not be garden tools but are more useful than you might think. Micah has pictures of his toolbar so thats something you might look into building first, should be fairly easy to build and useful for the garden. :banghead:

Few things Ive built.

This is my old ripper/cultivator (been redesigned for several tractors but still needs smaller sweeps).

garden001.jpg

Mid grader built from snow plow and scrap.

homeblade3.jpg

Bit more refined grader blade but the first blade worked well for years.

paint004.jpg

Rear grader blade built from a snow plow plus new and used steel. Bit large but a smaller version more like those sold by Brinly might be nice to have around.

boxbladeemail.jpg

Stigian

Did someone call?? :omg:

:banghead: :USA:

sshell

Big Mike I would like a 8 or 10 inch, just dont have funds at the moment.