Martin

416 adventures......

bowtiebutler956

Fantastic work Martin!! :bow-blue: That :wh: is one classy looking tractor. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Martin

a teaser.......

post-4321-0-16046200-1385857428_thumb.jp

roscoemi

Handle bar steering?

Martin

Handle bar steering?

now that would be interesting......

Martin

just come in from applying all the new decals. I'm very happy with what terry and i came up with....

a big thank you to terry for putting in so much work.......

alright, the pics that maybe one or two of you have been waiting for........

because i polished up the paint, to help the decals stick to the paint i wiped down the areas where they were going with wax and grease remover.

post-4321-0-85199900-1385866602_thumb.jp

tackle the hard stuff first, terry cut these in half for me to help apply them around all the critical areas, you need to make sure the throttle slot, the steering and lift/motion control lever holes all line up. would be easier to remove the dash console to apply them in one piece, but that looked to be a bigger pain, so this is the way i went.....

right hand half.....

post-4321-0-66058400-1385866621_thumb.jp

left hand half on, had to make sure to line up the halves and the red lines at the same time. again a pain to do assembled like this, but the decals are easy to pull up if you start getting off of where it should be....

post-4321-0-19637600-1385866640_thumb.jp

rest of dash panels/ covers done, all holes /slots cut, gauges, switches etc installed....

post-4321-0-35760400-1385866661_thumb.jp

started on the hood with the front, making sure to line up the ends/sides etc all even. approx. 1/4 gap all round decal. 

post-4321-0-20568400-1385866677_thumb.jp

left hand side hood decal applied, try to juggle all the gaps to find a happy medium here, you will notice that the front and side aren't exactly in line, but i try to get the bottom gap right with each other and since the blackout on the front of the hood never lines up with the bottom of the side of the hood, you've got to sort of fudge it a little.

i start at this point and get it how I'm happy with it and then follow the bottom of the decal/bottom of the hood margin the same all the way right to the back of the hood as i position the decal.

post-4321-0-64433000-1385867840_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-40310800-1385866696_thumb.jp

pop riveted the hood catches. will paint the rivet heads black so they blend in.....

post-4321-0-24869600-1385868573_thumb.jp

plow decals on. we came up with a warning decal the same style as the lower dash/motion control linkage cover decal but with the wording from the late 70s plow decal.....

post-4321-0-86904400-1385866715_thumb.jp

i also wanted the 90s style id tag for this plow even though its a late 70s plow, i used the model number and serial from my metal tag....

post-4321-0-41771700-1385866731_thumb.jp

seat pan decal on.....

post-4321-0-59045000-1385866749_thumb.jp

and a pic for steve, used the little stool quite a lot today! saved my back for some abuse another day, I'm sure there will be something stupid heavy to lift and screw it up a little more.....

post-4321-0-10961000-1385866769_thumb.jp

all done... ready for some snow.....lots of it, please......

post-4321-0-58707100-1385868743_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Martin

Wow! Nice restoration!!!!!!

the best part about this tractor is except for painting the blade, new decals, a harley coil and a few minor parts, its all oem as it came from the factory. no new paint on the tractor at all........

oh ,i did repaint the black on the front of the hood and the non oem wheel weights......

just a lot of cleaning and polishing.......

Edited by Martin

Vinylguy

The 416 is looking fabulous Martin. Thank you for all the help getting the decals correct for the console and dash plates.

You did a great job (as you always do) putting the upper dash graphics on without removing the panel. The vinyl cuts are 

​not even noticeable. I am now patiently waiting for the first plowing videos. 

Martin

thanks terry.....

as most of you know terry owned this tractor before i got it.

heres two pics that terry sent me the other day when he first got this tractor....

gallery_74_25_773312.jpg

gallery_74_25_68876.jpg

squonk

Martin on those taillights. Do they fit squarely into the little indents in the fender? I cant tell by the pic. I wanted some tail lights for Marvin and  couldn't come up with anything that fit into the detents and covered the all of the existing holes. The stock reflectors were longer than the generic lights you usually find.

Martin on those taillights. Do they fit squarely into the little indents in the fender? I cant tell by the pic. I wanted some tail lights for Marvin and  couldn't come up with anything that fit into the detents and covered the all of the existing holes. The stock reflectors were longer than the generic lights you usually find.

post-2380-0-23211800-1385894626.jpg

Edited by squonk

dclarke

You do good work, Martin. That's for sure!  :thumbs:... And don't Terry's decals finish off a project perfectly! :bow-blue:

Martin

mike, im not sure if you are going to find lights that cover the same amount of area that the reflectors do. the lights on mine are the peterson ones which i would think are the same size as what was on all these seat pans. this is the best i could do with mine, both sides are the same....

post-4321-0-58754200-1385910342_thumb.jp

heres a close up of my lenses, but as you probably already know they are all basically the same size.  they are the peterson lights, PM-108-15, the only thing that has me scratching my head is they have a 79 date code on them and the tractor is a 95. the wiring is all factory though and doesn't look like anyone has been 'axe engineering'..... i had a set of the more rounded lights to put on it yesterday but they were the same width so i put the old ones back on...

post-4321-0-26753200-1385910321_thumb.jp

i think the outer holes were only for the reflectors, which are as you say wider. i guess i would have to look into it more to know for sure whether they had a wider light body the same as these. the reflectors are the ones on my 1848....

post-4321-0-90957500-1385910359_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

squonk

Thanks Martin.That's basically what I've found. You can forget date codes on lenses and when a machine was built anymore. They have been stamping out those lenses for eons. When I was at Napa we would get some of that stuff in new packaging, but it was made 10 years ago sittin in a big wharehouse. I'd like to put some LED's on the back but they looked funky trying to set them in the fender detents and then the holes show. Why the company that made the lights and reflector couldn't make them the same size is mind boggling to me. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Martin

im not sure. the lights were mostly peterson manufacturing from what I've found, but the reflectors on my 1848 are 'sate-lite' 24  (4 3/8 x 1 7/8) made in chicago. i might try searching a little.

i was going to get another set of the more rounded lights i put on the c125, they are dual globe, whereas the square edged ones on the 416 are single. the 416 ones cleaned up real nice so i just put them back on. i couldn't see the point of replacing a perfectly good light because i wanted the more rounded ones. these are the c125 ones, another p.m. light, look really nice on that c1x1 style seat pan. that style pan doesn't have the wider holes that we are trying to cover up either......

post-4321-0-65895200-1385912956_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

squonk

I like the looks of those rounded light better. All the companies made those lights the same. Peterson, Signal-Stat, Dietz ect. I think it was a D.O.T. regulation. Why the reflectors had to be a different mounting who knows

Vinylguy

Just noticed your 3 legged stool Martin. 

That is what my Dad milked the cows with way way back in the old days.

We moved from the farm when I was 10 years old but the stool came with and was used in dads garage 

and wood shop. I bet he still has it. I had never seen another like it till yours. Very cool and handy little stool.

Martin

jeanine picked that stool up at the sycamore show this year. i need to make sure its in a pic or two every now and again so steve can see I'm using it. although its a little unstable with the 3 legs, it was great for getting the tractor ready for decals yesterday. just need to position it just right or i fall on my rear....

• Like 2

Martin

looks like the 416 adventures are set to continue for a little longer yet.......

2 new additions yesterday......

1991 416-H no engine, 1995 416-8, junk onan, serial number is 400 apart from my 1995 416-H

post-4321-0-66802300-1386121072_thumb.jp

next to the shiny one.....

post-4321-0-98916300-1386121088_thumb.jp

the one on the right has the most potential for a restore, nice clean straight almost rust free tractor, with a good polish I'm sure i could get the paint looking great, but I'm thinking it will get stripped and some powder on it. have a kt17 series 2 that would look great in place of the onan. 

who knows what will happen at this point.....

• Like 1

dclarke

When it rains it pours.... lookin forward to seeing what you do with these Martin.

Fishroe

I wish my 414-8 looked like that. good work dude

bowtiebutler956

Hey Martin, save some :wh:'s for the rest of us! :ROTF:  So, are there any plans for enlarging the stable in the near future? :ychain:  Glad to see you saved a couple more, as I always enjoy watching what you do with them. I know they're in good hands. :thumbs:

Martin

no plans for enlarging, but plans this weekend to get rid of some more non wh stuff. my trailer is gotta get back in there yet and would like to have some room to work in there as well.......

stacking them on shelves is probably in the future as well.

Ken B

Nothing but the best from you Martin, looks real sweet!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Martin, it was a pleasure following that work journey. The end result A+ , job well done.

Glenn

Martin

i decided to investigate the onan in the 416-8 the other night and see if i could save any parts. it looks like its spent its last days out in the weather minus the intake and exhaust and water had found its way in.

so why was the thing missing parts? engine bad, valve seat problem? still not sure, but i tore into it and so far its looking like it may run another day.......

first i pulled the heads to check how much water damage there was and whether a seat was gone. minimal water got in the bores, there is some staining on the bore, but i can't feel if there is damage from the water. it cleaned up reasonably well with scotchbrite, all the aluminum has fungus and white corrosion all over it, ports were the same way, so scotchbrite and my fingers got a workout. i had a fight with at least 6 head bolts and managed to only break one, the key here is patience and lots of it. torque on them too much one way and snap they go. i use some heat, lots of pb blaster and work them back and forth to get them out. taking your time here pays off with not having to drill out head bolts, which really sucks.... still i needed to drill one out as i got a little ambitious towards the end of the fight with one of them. chased all bolt holes after i was done.

then i spent some time cleaning the heads, valves, ports, etc and went over the block to remove some of the funky stuff......

i didn't get many pics of the engine complete as i got it, but heres a few as i am working on it partially disassembled....

fungus, fungus,,,,,,,

post-4321-0-18947400-1386729684_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-77734800-1386729704_thumb.jp

getting it a little cleaner on the back fins....

post-4321-0-70173400-1386729810_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-70358600-1386729831_thumb.jp

pulled flywheel and cleaned all the crap from the stator and ignition pick up......

post-4321-0-60937700-1386729850_thumb.jp

crap on back of flywheel...

post-4321-0-50806100-1386729873_thumb.jp

one end looking better.....

post-4321-0-90431100-1386729891_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-34011300-1386729908_thumb.jp

ports a little cleaner......

post-4321-0-13796100-1386729926_thumb.jp

back of flywheel cleaned up. make sure to get all the junk between the magnets as well when you do this....

post-4321-0-15139400-1386729950_thumb.jp

bowtiebutler956

So Martin, are you going to rebuild the engine, or just try to get it running?