stevasaurus

Brush Painting Question

stevasaurus

I have a snow blade for my B-100 that I have been wanting to give a face lift.  After watching Ian's video of his camera trailer in which he brush painted the steel, it occurred to me that brush painting may be the way to go.  I think I would want to use Rust-o-liums Regal Red.  Question...can I just use the paint out of the can, or is it better to thin and add hardeners when using a paint brush??  This is a worker, but I want it to look nice.  I am not being lazy here, with searching.  There is not much in past threads on brush painting, the paint to use and how to use it.  I am thinking that a snow blade is a perfect candidate for the brush...no over spray to protect from...and the time of year.

I do intend to sand and wire brush the metal and prime first.  Thanks :)

• Like 1

neil

Steve, Brush painting can give some good results , i have done a few tractors with this method , whenever i can, i do use a mini roller to spread the paint also with good reults .

Good luck with it .

Oh  , I would thin the paint to give better spreading coverage

• Like 1

squonk

I think a roller would be a better choice. Or if you want, mail the blade to me and I'll spray it. You pay return postage. Just think of the looks you will get in your neck of the woods, You driving a red tractor with a Green & Gold snowblade!  :)  :ychain:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

rmaynard

My son had a baseball coach who painted his car with a brush. Can't say that I liked the look.

zieg72

Key to brushing is #1 slightly thin (keyword slightly) with the proper thinner depending on the paint type.  #2 is use a good quality brush made for the type of paint you are using.  #3 don't go over it over and over to eliminate brush marks...  I've seen jobs that you would have thought were sprayed...

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Zieg72...that is exactly the information I was looking for..Thank You :)

zieg72

Zieg72...that is exactly the information I was looking for..Thank You :)

:handgestures-thumbupright: One more thought, bone up on thinners.  Say you are using something that calls for VM&P Naptha.  That solvent class is a Diluent.  Mineral Spirits is a slower evaporating thinner that will allow the paint to flow some helping to eliminate brush marks.  Long-oil alkyds are best suited for brush application.  Check the label to make sure it doesn't say for spray only...  Paint, I know...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I had a feeling there was more to it then meets the eye.  Not much information out there...but for a snow blade with all the steel channel...I thought a brush or small roller paint job would be a perfect application.  Thanks  guys. :)

specialwheelhorse

Love it Love it !! I always have afew items that really don't require

a super finish ready when I finish spraying and have a little left in the can

thinned and with hardener and many times can't hardly tell the difference

from items sprayed. Sometimes leave it perk for another hour or so.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

This has the makings of a good thread.  Please keep the knowledge coming in.  I will take pictures and add them to this post.  Thank You :)

squonk

Get a big vat, fill it with a crap load of red paint and just dunk it. It will get into all the nooks and crannies and then hang to dry. Shave off all the run nibs with your plastic chain saw. Enjoy!  :) And how about a new Stevasauras video; "Watching Paint Dry"  :ychain: You can be commentating  on your view of the world! :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

:sad-bored:   Watching Dino's new paint dry...     :text-woo:

you can be the first "live webcam" event to watch here on  :rs: 

• Like 3

dclarke

Steve, Several years ago I painted this with Regal Red using a small foam roller and a brush.  It turned out pretty good.

001_zps2eed3ed7.jpg

• Like 2

Don1977

On a blade I would not thin it. I've brush painted a lot with Rustoleum, and never thinned it,

• Like 1

ol550

You could practice on THAT ladder if it's still around. :ROTF:  :ROTF:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

You could practice on THAT ladder if it's still around. :ROTF:  :ROTF:

Digger 66

Another vote for the brush , seems to get into the nooks & crannys better .

Brand ? If you're going to take the time to do it , might as well do it best . Valspar Implement enamel from Tractor Supply  , I did my 1966 

Ariens snowblower 6 years ago & it has held up well even with all the little pebbles it chews up .

Don't have any pics of that but heres the W/H deck I did with Valspar ( un-thinned ) & a brush last summer after sandblasting .

Bottomafter_zps63cd2387.jpg

• Like 2

Tankman

Digger: I would paint the alum spindle housings on the deck.

Those housings will get eaten eventually.

Bottom side of the deck I use any color, brush, don't care 'bout the finish. I do clean my decks often, almost after every use.

Edited by Tankman

stevasaurus

Tankman, I am doing a snow blade.  I tore it apart yesterday.  I didn't realize how rough this thing really is.  The metal is solid and straight, but it is really rusted with plenty of pitting.  I have decide to e-tank the whole thing...got the springs in the tank today.  Looks like I am going to have to make a new scrapper...it has been turned over once already.  I am taking plenty of pictures.  I'll put what I have on here tomorrow.  I did not think about the Valspar paint, which I like, and I have already picked up Rust-O-Leum Regal Red  and their red primer.  This is a great candidate for brush painting, and I just want to give that a shot and see how it turns out.  I can't wait to get to the point where I can watch the paint dry. :)

Mike...the ladder is history.

Edited by stevasaurus

squonk

If there is any one around you that builds snow- pushers like they use on frt. end loaders see if they would sell you a cutting edge. I have a local co. That builds them and they cut off a chunk for me for Elvis' loader bucket. Cost me $35

• Like 1

zanepetty

Sounds like a bunch of good info here, friend! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Coadster32

When I painted my 551, I brushed the frame, and sprayed the tins. Came out good and flowed well right from the can. Next time though, I'd use a little flo-through though to help it flow a bit better. It was easy, no wasted paint from overspray and the mess to go along with it. Coats also come out thicker as well. A Plow is a great place to try it if your not sure. If done right, it will look great. I suppose you could wet-sand it as well to get a "perfect" look, but on a plow why bother.

• Like 1

clemedc

I wanna see the pics too. I have a snow plow and frame that was brush painted long ago by ?????? It looks just fine esp. for a snow plow. IMO brush or roller paint even if a crappy job will atleast preserve the sheet metal on our beloved tractors for years to come.

Coadster32

This is the plow I brushed. A little wax, and the snow rolls like a wave.

DSCF0097-2.jpg

Here's the 551 I brushed the frame on, and sprayed the tins. The spray came out a bit glossier, but I went straight from the can with the brushing and would try lightly thinning next time, or flo-through.

pics006.jpg

• Like 3