waltsuz

SAE 30 Motor oil

waltsuz

I have been to 2 area Walmarts, a Menards, a Lowes, Tractor Supply, and a new Meyers and was able to find 6 quarts of Valvoline 30wt. and seen 2 quarts of Pennsoil. It wasn't but a few months ago I was able to get Castrol and Valvoline by the gallon at Walmart. Everything now is multi-grade except some off brand Walmart, Meyers and TS Traveller stuff that could have been vegetable oil for all I know. Just say'in....Walt

N3PUY

Hey Walt,  I work at Miller Auto Parts, Clearfield and I have 4 brands in stock.  I think one of them is Valvoline.  (only in stock because I need 30W.) I don't think we have a store close to you though.  Maybe SouthFork.  I know our PartsMaster line is also Valvoline, (Ashland refining) and same as NAPA's.  But I use the Kendall in all mine.  2 qts per oil change, no need to be cheap!  I also stock 30W non-detergent for the old stuff.  And have the zinc additive for where it's needed.  Joe

sorekiwi

I bought a gallon of Rotella straight 30 wt at Tractor Supply about a month ago.  Havent bought it at Walmart for a while, but one local Walmart used to stock it, but another local one never did.

rmaynard

I am in Maryland and my Walmart stocks 30w. Napa, and Advance Auto usually stock it. Just ask any auto parts store and they can have it for you next day.

• Like 1

kaiser

I always get straight 30w from napa. House brand.

• Like 1

953 nut

:help:    Keep in mind that winter is on the way and 30 is a summer item, they don't want to have stock that won't move.

:USA: 

squonk

I always get straight 30w from napa. House brand.

When I worked at Napa we used the Napa brand in all delivery trucks. We'd get 250,000 plus out of our S-10's

N3PUY

I use 30W in the mowing Horse and 10-30 in the plow Horse.

1978wh

when you buy your 30w oil today, be sure you check the api starbust on the bottle to see if it is the oil SL rating and not the low sulfer  and zinc ratings of SN and SM

Hodge71

Walmart oil is all made by Mobil. Their synthetic is the same as Mobil 1

C-85

I had been using Walmart Super Tech 30w oil for years and had good luck with it, but since last spring my Walmart has stopped carrying it.  I wrote to Walmart 3 times about this and never got a reply back.  I used to think they had good customer service (for a department store), but they've proven to me that they no longer care about their customers.  Our Walmart has also been out of all kinds of other items, even milk and other staples.  I had been a pretty loyal Walmart customer, but my family is thinking about using a different store.  I think we had saved money at Wallyworld, but now that we go there and don't get half of the stuff we went there to get because they're either out of it or have stopped carrying it, we're exploring other options.  Walmart used to have incredible inventory control, but no longer do, so I'm not sure what has happened.

SPINJIM

I just bought Castrol 30w yesterday at PepBoys for use in my summer mower, but usually use 10w-30 in winter use tractors for plowing and pulling.

Jim

swarfeater

I use 20/50 mobile 1 in everything, and i do mean everything. been doing it for years and everything it's in still running fine.

waltsuz

when you buy your 30w oil today, be sure you check the api starbust on the bottle to see if it is the oil SL rating and not the low sulfer  and zinc ratings of SN and SM

The Valvoline SAE 30 I have here says exceeds API SERVICES SN/SM, Is this bad stuff????

1978wh

Waltsuz: Your valvoline SAE  30 SN/SM is not bad stuff,if you use it in newer engine designed to run on SM/SN rating oil. The newer sn/sm rating on the oil is actualy better for newer overhead cam engines,it is a cleaner oil and has the proper shear for todays engines,and does not poison catalytic converters like the old sl rated oil. The problem with the newer SN/SM oil is it contains less sulfer zinc and phopherous, whitch are compression lubricants in oil. Your older engines want that zinc sulfer and phospherous.If you want the older sl rating in valvoline oil look for bottles with blue screw tops, they havesl rating,your SM/SM bottles you have should have a white screw top whtch is the newer stock bottles.The older bottles are getting harder to find but thry are still out there for now.

oldblue1993

Hey I know ya don't want to hear my 2 cents. so here it is. I switched everything cars trucks tractor and yep even the horses to walmarts high mileage, over 5 years ago, after many many miles, lawns and whatever we could through at em, I have not had one internal problem and no leaks. I am amazed by the stuff and considering I get free quaker state from work and still choose to buy this.

I am just saying try it once and you will see a difference.

N3PUY

Lucas has a ZINC additive part-no. 10063.  It's for rebuilding and flat tappets.  A little of that added to the new oil specifications may help. Any thoughts on that?

waltsuz

Well just for curiosity I started looking around. I like the simple approach and have always used 30wt in all my stuff. Typically its a Castrol GTX HD Valvoline or Pennsoil product. Its easy or was easy to get, about anywhere. There is something to this Zinc/Phosphorus thing with these small or older flat tappet engines. I looked at the Valvoline site just for kicks and there answer is to use the VR-1 racing oil if you need the higher Zinc formula. Its completely compatable with most any gas engine old or new. I think most automotive parts stores have this and its available in straight weight blends. Maybe to just keep all my little jewels happy I will start buying high flutin" racing oil by the gallon and see if they all digest this well. I think my Onans are worth a buck or 2 more..Does this sound good???? Thanks guys for the opinions here, I read these postings and really reference my opinions off some which is a good thing, Regards Walt 

userj8670

I have always run 10w-40 in the machines from summer all the way thru winter, never stopping to change to a different weight in the winter and have never had a problem with a thing.

1978wh

Valvoline vr1 racing oil would be a good alternative oil because of its zinc content,but i would be very careful of adding your own amount of a zinc additive, if you put to much it will have negative efect on the lifeand lubricity of your oil . I personally use 10w30 sl/cc rating oil and have gone as long as three years without changing oil and have never had any issues with any of my three kohler engines. I also use 30w sl rating non detergent oil when I rebuild any small engine so the rings  can properly seat before i switch over to 10w30

Fordiesel69

Diesel oil and a 250hr decarbon interval sounds better than a hunt for SAE 30W oil that is super hard to find.  15w-40 diesel oil is very easy to find, has loads of additives for flat tappet cams, whether it be zinc or other additves.  Have not seen cam failures in old diesels like the chevy gassers.  There has to be a reason.

I have been switched my boats over from SAE 30 to 15w-40 just becuase it is easiers to find.

papaglide

I live North of Buffalo, New York and my local NAPA has a few brands of SAE 30W. My local Kubota dealer also carries SAE 30W. I can also get my mitts on Cenpeco SAE 30W. I didn't know that it is hard to find in some areas.

Edited by papaglide