N3PUY

Wheel Horse "Rat Rod" 800

N3PUY

Hello,  I saw "jason.c's" post of his HotRod Wheel Horse.  So I thought I better learn how to put some stuff on here rather than just watching! 

This spring I got a 1972 Commando 800 with a broken engine.  ($75) It only needed a connrod and the cam needed welded.  So I fixed 'er up and it ran just fine.  Smooth and good power ... and quiet.  But after 20 minutes the oil was metallic gray.   So I tore into it again thinking it was going to be the rod journal.  No problem in what I did ... the piston was all scraped up.   Oh well ... just set it aside.   I sold the K181 parts and that more than covered the price of the tractor and new engine parts.   Then at a yardsale I got a 2003 Kohler CH12.5 which needed a starter.  ($5 for the motor)  And $27 for a used starter.  I knew where it was going!  The shaft was too large for the PTO but I didn't need another mower anyways!  And this is what I ended up with.  Still needs one item taken care of ... the ackermann is backward now.   That can wait until spring.  Well,  here's the pics.  One is a "before" pic.  Once I get to resizing the pics of the other WH's I'll put some of those on here.  TNX, Joe

post-6866-0-00582200-1381605992_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-77418000-1381605995_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-21113800-1381605999_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-12996500-1381606002_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-54647800-1381606005_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-99208400-1381606008_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-91332100-1381606012_thumb.jp

• Like 3

rmaynard

Love what you did with the front axle and steering. :thumbs:

N3PUY

The front end is 4 rectangular plates welded to the tachamatic.  Front axle extended 7" and dropped 7".  Steering shaft lengthened and thru the plates.  Turned the steering arm up-side-down.  BUT now the outside wheel turns sharper than the inside wheel. (ackermann).  It OK in biger circles. 

N3PUY

Also relocated the battery.

2nbujus.jpg

Ed Kennell

You could put in a  solid wheel to wheel tie rod and one steering link rod from the  steering arm to one wheel or the tie rod.

groundhog47

Really neat lookin ride!!! :bow-blue: Reminescent of old Hot Rods with that :text-coolphotos: front end. PARADE RIDER!

Sparky

I like it!! Rusty body panels and all!

Mike..........

AMC RULES

:)  Looks like somebody's already laid claim to that :wh:   

neil

Its just amazing what can be done to these tractors & the ideas that people have for them .

I too am looking to build a rat rod and i am just on the look out for my doner tractor

I love what you have done & look forward to the progress

oh i found this picture of a rat rod that i thought was wicked

post-2119-0-19265900-1381644903_thumb.jp

• Like 2

wallfish

Nice job!

As you found out, with the arms in front of the axle, the angles need to be opposite the factory angle and point towards the tires instead of away.

Here's a quick chart for determining the Akerman angles.

This will link to a clearer copy of the chart.

http://homebuiltforum.com/topic/51-akerman-steering-angles/

If you plan to speed her up, you may also want to consider a couple of degrees camber to that axle to stop the shopping cart effect. You could also tow in the tires but not quite as effective as the camber.

post-658-0-30937800-1381666266_thumb.jpg

N3PUY

Hey AMC RULES,  Yep, grandson Logan said it was his too!  He says he now has 2 WheelHorses.   His other one is listed in the restoration section. (rebuild 416-8).      ...   post-6866-0-73141300-1381680979_thumb.jppost-6866-0-00478900-1381681056_thumb.jp

Edited by N3PUY

Kegler

Tell me it ain't so  -- A Deer seat on a Horse,  Isn't that blaspheme?  LOL

953 nut

:woohoo:   Love the look, the flame saw cut on the belt guard adds to the Rat Rod look. Also, the headlights are much better on the hoodsides.  Keep that grandson on the seat, he will love growing up with granpa's toys.  :text-coolphotos: 

:USA: 

N3PUY

Kegler, well...................  $13.00 for the seat cover at "Surplus City".   I think of it as a safety feature ... sorta like a warning light! :)   It was the most expensive piece I purchased for that WH which had a total cost of $250 to rebuild which includes the $45 for the machine itself.  There's a lot of little $5 bushings and other little stuff.  I was surprised at the total of all the slips.

Kegler

Nice rescue anyway. Those little parts can add up in a hurry. But it looks like you ended up with a nice Horse! (despite the seat)

N3PUY

953 NUT,  are you refering to the front of the belt guard?  I had to remove a piece to shorten it and then weld it back together.  I thought it added more character leaving everything unpainted.  But I did paint the new metal at the front axle ... a shot of red, a shot of primer for that matching patina look. 

post-6866-0-44559100-1381689922_thumb.jp

• Like 1

953 nut

953 NUT,  are you refering to the front of the belt guard?  I had to remove a piece to shorten it and then weld it back together.  I thought it added more character leaving everything unpainted.  But I did paint the new metal at the front axle ... a shot of red, a shot of primer for that matching patina look. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5234.JPG

:text-goodpost:  I intended that as a compliment, all good Rat Rods use flame saws. :text-bravo: 

N3PUY

953 NUT,   yeah .... I knew that :o)     Just wanted you to see what it actually was. 

953 nut

:ROTF:   Your welding is almost too neat for a true Rat Rod.  :text-lol: