WHPuller

8 Pinion Transmission

WHPuller

How can I tell if the transmission is 4 pinion, 8 pinion or, 10 pinion without opening the case? Is there dead giveaways that it is not the 8 pinion? I have found an 654 with a 3spd trans, along with a c-160 with a 6spd trans. Would either of them be 8 pinion? How to the 4 pinions hold up? I believe the 654 would have the 4 pinion? Are they any good?

Thanks!

WHPuller

P.S. I blew apart 2 10 pinion rearends in one day about a year and a half ago. Didn't know that they were weak, lasted a while actually. But, they eventually broke, so I started doing some creative welding on one, but unfortunately the other one had aluminum end caps on the carrier, so I couldnt weld that one. Looking to have a wheel horse tranny hold together without any creative welding! lol

Edited by WHPuller

daveoman1966

To know if it is 10 pinion, jack BOTH wheel off the ground and slowly turn one wheel.  If the other wheel turns in the SAME direction, it is a 10-pinion differential.  If the other  wheel turns in the OPPOSITE direction, it is either an 8 or 4 pinion gearbox.  Don't know how to distinguish between 4 or 8-pinion short of splitting the case open.

racinfool40

The only time I have run into a 4 pinion in a 8-speed is if it has 1" axles in the mechanical transmission's.  All the ones with 1-1/8th axles have been 10-pinion or 8-pinion....Now when it comes to the hydro's it's different...Most of the substrands are 10 pinion and I have found the old bevel gear in a few..The eaton 700 is 1-1/8th axle but only 4-pinion the Eaton 1100 is the 8 pinion...

Mike

sorekiwi

The eaton 700 is 1-1/8th axle but only 4-pinion the Eaton 1100 is the 8 pinion...

Mike

I pulled an 8 pinion out of the Eaton 700 that was in a 312-H Mike.  The trans showed no signs of anyone being in there before.

Just to note if you use a differential out of an Eaton in a Unidrive trans, you will need to change axles as well.

Edited by sorekiwi
  • Like 1

WHPuller

Sorry I am looking to build a second puller and not have to deal with the 10 pinion rear ends. I like the 8spd trans because of the hi/lo so I was wondering if there was any way of telling between a 10 pinion and an 8 pinion without splitting the case? From what I have heard the 10 pinion is limited slip and the 8 pinion is not, so in theory, Dave's plan should work by spinning the wheel?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Yes...but the key word here is "slowly".  If the 10 pinion is operating correctly, both wheels will spin in the same direction.  Spin slowly.  The 4 or 8 pinion will spin in opposite directions...no matter how slow you turn a tire. :)