flyovrcntry

KT17 no spark

flyovrcntry

OK,I have a kt17 that fires at the points,but not at the plugs.I just got this 417A so I don't know any of the history.

Thanks for looking

SousaKerry

Well first off take a multimeter and check the resistance across the coil windings.  It should have xx resistance if it is dead short, toss it.  Check all grounds, wires for bare spots and signs of arcing.  Change the condenser.  Change the points if they are corroded at all.  Check the voltage at the low side of the coil you should be getting 12V or so with the key on.  Check your point and plug gaps.

Just a few basics to any spark issue.  Let us know what you find.

Jeff-C175

It should have xx resistance

Going from memory here which could be flawed... but I dimly recall FOUR OHMS on the primary...

Road-Track

Try another spark plug with the base grounded on the engine and see if that sparks when turned over with the key on. I had the same problem a week ago. Bad plug.

Second bad plug I have seen latey on the tractors. One was new?

flyovrcntry

It's been a long time since I owned something with points.I filed the a little,cleaned them up,she fired right up.Damn thing starts better than anything else I have.Ordering a new set of points,they look pretty thin,and adjustment is about  maxed.

Wheel-N-It

Thats good news!!!