Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

battery question

BairleaFarm

How long should a battery sit before it loses its charge? Ive got a 10hp kohler s/g that has been sitting for a few weeks. You have to crank and crank to get it started and It didnt have enough to do it. I would think one of these tractors should be able to sit several weeks before the battery goes down. The battery is only a month or so old.

rocking 416

where did :banghead: you get the battry? and what are the cranking amps?

rustbucket

personaly i use tractor supply and go for the max amps and cold cranking i can get. 360 is what most my horses have in em if not dead batteries from purchase of machine to be replaced

rocking 416

i agree tractor supply are good battrys.. walmart has decent ones for 25$ there 360 cranking amps they usally last 3-6 months depends on how hard you are on them.. the one in my 416 has been great . but her alternator is perfect so i guess that helps alot :banghead:

BairleaFarm

I got the battery either at TSC or AutoZone. I dont recall and cant read the amps because i painted it. red battery = unreadable. Here is a picture of it unpainted but of coarse i cant see the lable.

DSCN0002.jpg

linen beige

walmart has decent ones for 25$ there 360 cranking amps they usally last 3-6 months depends on how hard you are on them..

I think you must have something draining your batteries, or not charging them fully. :banghead:

I have a now 3 year old Wal-Mart 360 cca battery on my 702, and a 2 year old Home Depot 360 cca battery on my 1054a. The 'Horses will fire right up after sitting for weeks. Neither of these two get run for more than a few minutes at a time, seldom over half throttle, and they recharge the batteries just fine.

I also have a Wal-Mart 360 cca battery on my Crafstman that will start it's Kohler right up every spring after sitting over the winter in an unheated shed. That battery is 4 years old, and replaced one that lasted 7 years. I only use it for about an hour a week.