bean

finally found a 1973 8hp 4spd

bean

after selling the previous '73, and regretting it since, I finally located another.  it was 75 miles away, which after a few longer, wasted trips, is my maximum driving distance. it has a few issues, especially electrical, but runs good.

the deck with it is so far gone, I think I could crumble it with my hands.  but the spindles feel ok.

the steering is tighter than my 310.

unfortunately, I will have to let it sit until this winter. I have to finish painting the house/ redo the living room/ install new gutters./ etc,  before winter gets here.

a brand new toy, and I have to wait until Christmas :crying-blue: post-5404-0-18351900-1380988531.jpgpost-5404-0-14296600-1380988559.jpgpost-5404-0-75456900-1380988591.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Don1977

Looks good.

Edited by Don1977

KC9KAS

Nice,,,Keep us posted.

Sparky

Just curious....whats the attraction to this tractor? Most guys are not interested in the smaller hp machines or the fact that it has the smaller wheels.

No matter what the reason it is in good shape tho!

Mike.........

sorekiwi

Just curious....whats the attraction to this tractor? Most guys are not interested in the smaller hp machines or the fact that it has the smaller wheels.

I'm not sure that I agree that they are unpopular.  There are a bunch of guys that sing the praises of the B80's (myself included) and the 73 models were basically the same as the later B's.

I don't love the styling but the K181 is a great motor, and if you stay with a sensibly sized deck they perform well. Much more economic on fuel, quieter, great snow pushers. 

I've been threatening to scrap my B80 for about 5 years now, but somehow I always seem to find another use for it, and it dodges the chopping block again.

• Like 3

bean

No matter what the reason it is in good shape tho!

Mike.........

I'm not sure why I like the smaller versions of most things. my trucks and cars have always been compact versions. and I'm not a small person. :)

my plan is to swap in an 8 speed trans and a k141 6hp engine. if anyone built a tractor like that today, I would buy it in a second.

I think it is just the fact that something that small was actually that well built. that has to be some of the attraction to the suburban and lawn ranger.

• Like 1

bean

There are a bunch of guys that sing the praises of the B80's (myself included)

i've always thought the 312-8 was the perfect tractor, and there is certainly a good argument for it, but I would have to say it is actually the b80-8speed.

the amount of work that can be done with it humbles all of the 20-30 hp garden tractors out there today.

AMC RULES

I like it too...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

plus, looks like there's lots of room for bigger wheels and tires there. 

bean

post-5404-0-62119900-1381015411_thumb.jp I don't know who this 8hp belongs to, but it is my goal to get mine looking that nice

Edited by bean

boovuc

I'm still amazed that the K181 in my 857 has never let me sit. Always starts, always finishes what it starts. I love the square hoods. I just forget about the rear lift latch sometimes and wind up catching the seat pan in the crotch and singing opera for an hour.

Your tractor looks solid and I'm sure you'll find time to play with it once and awhile before Christmas!

• Like 2

wheel-mule

I have 4 of these and 1 B80.I just like these little things.

• Like 1

bean

I have 4 of these

no wonder it took me a year to find one :laughing-rofl:

papaglide

I love my B-80. I put 23-8.5's on the rear. It had 16's on the front. I really wish that is was an 8 speed though.

bean

I love my B-80. I put 23-8.5's on  a guy the rear. It had 16's on the front. I really wish that is was an 8 speed though.

there's a guy down the road from me that has a b80 and swapped his 4 spd with an 8spd . it's fairly easy to do.

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: here is mine that I had it was the first year in 74 I sold it and regretted it ever since. Gary    B..........   th_b-80inthesnow004-1.jpg    th_sellingtheB-80007.jpg    the original muffler went south so I put this one on real quite. I hope you enjoyed the pick`s    th_sellingtheB-80002.jpg

Edited by T1257
  • Like 1

captainownage01

I bought one of these last summer. The k181 had a small knock to it so I'm rebuilding it now as well as doing a ground up restoration. I love the torque you get in first gear. I cant wait to drive it around again. good luck with your '73. 

Twohorses

Where did you obtain this muffler?

squonk

That's a Gravely muffler. Parts tree, Napa ect. have them. I got one on my Power King. 

73's are "in" this year! :bow-blue:  :thumbs:

596b03af-8ae2-4e02-9ea1-83be3968b25f_zps

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Yes I like my 8 HP three speed B-80 tractor -and it is a workhorse too!     The leaf war this year shows what it can do in a short amount of time!

Here are some photos from the front year this am.   I was out at 8:00 am and done just a little bit ago.

post-339-0-23715800-1384010853_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

608KEB

I just brought my 75 B-80 back from the farm. I am putting a plow on it. I like it, because it's easy to steer with the lighter weight K181.

TravelinJavelin

there are some nice 8's here for sure I do like these 73's can't wait to get my 73 12hp looking like those.

mike67

I 'restored' my '73 8hp-4 speed last winter. You can see it under 'Another krylon makeover' in the restro/mod/custom thread.

47JDG

Here is my little Commando 800. I have an older blower rigged up to work on it. I think it should work fine. The first pass will be slow going but from then on I can take small bites with every pass and im not worried about it. I have used an 8 horse kohler john deere to blow snow most winters since I was a kid and it has always worked fine. You just have to take your time. I put larger tires on the rear of my commando, as I had tire chains that fit them. I am going to build a weight box for the rear once I get done painting my new work bench I made this past weekend.

post-8921-0-98120000-1384218851_thumb.jp

post-8921-0-90678700-1384218961_thumb.jp

Dakota

Even though this is a older thread here’s a pic of my 73’ 8hp. It had a 4 speed in it when I got but I swapped in a 8 speed and added bigger tires-

D447E69C-D7FE-4D14-864F-5D7F40117E54.jpeg.4dad82ddf9e4b5be5262d3f9d9e67302.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

73wheelhorse8/8

I have an 8 hp 8 speed which when I got it I thought it was a c81 but after research found the actual model 

20180818_120009.jpg