Xjchief

Predator motor swap on a 606

Xjchief

Swapped out the tired and broken tecumseh for the harbor freight 6.5hp predator. I know it seems kinda wrong to put a Chinese motor on an American tractor but it's a great option to get the tractor back to work. The swap was pretty easy, here are some pictures. Feel free to ask any specific questions if you are thinking about doing this.

post-9395-0-10020000-1380680201_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Xjchief

More pics

post-9395-0-23379300-1380680244_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Xjchief
post-9395-0-14121000-1380680566_thumb.jp
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Nice installation...  How thick are the two mounting plates you used??

Xjchief

Thanks, I needed to go up 3/4" so i used 1/2" and 1/4" plate worked perfect plus added weight

qd-16

Those motors are good on gas also....the black sure looks better than the blue ones they use to sell!

It would be nice to have a tractor that you can just yank the recoil and go and not worry about a battery.

Edited by qd-16

specialwheelhorse

You do need to throttle up a bit more to enguage equipment etc

You just don't have the advantage of a heavy cast iron flywheel

for put-put stuff !!

• Like 1

Xjchief

Well i havent tested it with snow but i put the snowblower on it and engaged it and the motor didnt even flinch so we will see

woodchuckfarmer

Did you have to cut the hood to get it in?

Xjchief

Nope it just fit

ol550

What did you do for the exhaust exit?

Xjchief

The exhaust comes out behind the front of the hood but it's far enough back to not affect the paint on the hood or the decal up front either but my plan is to make a custom exhaust so I can go to a stack muffler

slammer302

I did the same thing on my dads commando 6 but I used the mounting plate from a b-80 gave me plenty room to move the motor around were I wanted it. I also hooked it up to the trailer I usually pull with the 856 let's just say the k181 keeps the front tires weighed down better

post-6211-138163303245_thumb.jpg

post-6211-138163306096_thumb.jpg

slammer302

Were did you get your pulley

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Not bad for $99 engine.  They have good reviews.  There are quite a few people that use them for go karts so there's aftermarket performance parts available for it (if needed). 

Xjchief

Pulley is from a local electric motor repair shop.

slammer302

Good to know I'm putting one on my suburban next and a pulley

Xjchief

Sweet

tarcoleo

Have used the 13 hp Greyhound (blue) predecessor for three years now

in a C-81 chassis with 48" deck.  Only problem has been a broken bracket supporting

the tank.  Pull starts every time.  Has starter,  but never used it.  Only required

to drill new holes in the original engine plate for installation.  Did have to relieve the hood.

Edited by tarcoleo

rebuilder12

hey im putting in the same motor on mine but i think its missing some parts. is there supposed to be a foot peddle on the right side for a clutch or something?

SousaKerry

Nope only one pedal on the left.  Wheel Horse pioneered the use of the clutch/brake petal. The mower decks used a small pedal on the right to engage the PTO.

See the link below for your manual and parts list if you do indeed have a 606

rebuilder12

thanks for the reply this manual will definitely come in handy i really appreciate it.

David81

Looks good in there  keep us posted when you put the stack on.  Im really thinking of doing the same swap on my little massey as well   

546cowboy

I put a couple of those on two Wheel Horses but the mounting wasn't that easy to accomplish at least for me. I used 3/4" square tubing to get the height  but I had some trouble getting it where I needed it front to rear and right now I can't remember why. As far as crankshaft size, I made a bushing from 3/4" pipe and then had to make a key out of 1/4" flat stock. I used the original pulley from the Tecky.

I did do another one but I didn't use the HF engine on that one. I did a 656 with an electric start engine from.Carroll Stream that worked out much better. The only thing about that engine was that I had to buy the throttle linkage from them so I could use the dash lever. Another $18 that was already on the HF motor.

hotrodmerc

How does the 6.5Hp motor compare to the 8HP kohler?? I was thinking about the 13hp motor to swap out on my B-80.